Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default Power Items (and ER) for Elves

Can elves of non-caster professions use power items in DFRPG?

I was surprised to see on DFA115 that only bards, clerics, druids and wizards are said to be able to use power items. It seems contrary to the system which inspired to have abilities linked to the name of a template rather that to a trait with a point cost (including features at [0]).

The I ran across the DFMI22 mention of "For someone with Magery or Bardic Talent, it serves as an additional power item[...]", which seemed more reasonable, and thought of Custom Professions on DFA14 -- obviously it can't be the template's name which grants access to power items, or none of these custom delvers could get one.

Am I correct that the "bards, clerics, druids and wizards" bit on DFA115 is just a shorthand for "characters with Bardic Talent, Magery or Power Investiture", and that elves of all professions are eligible for power items, or is there a missing [0] feature on these four professions?

There is a similar issue with Energy Reserve. Either elves who cast spells are spellcasters and can go up to twenty, or they can only get three and can only use them for powering scrolls and magic items, but not their own spells.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: Power Items (and ER) for Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Can elves of non-caster professions use power items in DFRPG?
Am I correct that the "bards, clerics, druids and wizards" bit on DFA115 is just a shorthand for "characters with Bardic Talent, Magery or Power Investiture", and that elves of all professions are eligible for power items.
I would read it and play it as what you point out in your question.

In the style that DFRPG is written, this approach makes the most sense and works out to be the most fun - so that's what I'd go with.
Elves (and Half Elves) pay the points for Magery, so I'd allow them the Power Items.

Last edited by LokRobster; 03-24-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Mage Hunters don’t have Magery! Oops, deleted
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote