Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: Mitigating Chi Rations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I wouldn't allow foraging. Even in the land where every farmer ferments tempeh, grows mugwort, and makes pungent ointment, you won't be able to forage ready-to-use ointments and incense.
In the spirit of doubling costs is all it is, I might also be inclined to allow you to spend 1 x normal ration costs on negligible weight spices, essential oils and the like, which you could sprinkle over foraged stuff to convert them.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I wouldn't allow foraging. Even in the land where every farmer ferments tempeh, grows mugwort, and makes pungent ointment, you won't be able to forage ready-to-use ointments and incense.
Presumably converting foraged materials into usable substances would be either herb lore or esoteric medicine (chi). Martial artists don't by default have access to herb lore, but they can learn esoteric medicine (chi) just fine.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Presumably converting foraged materials into usable substances would be either herb lore or esoteric medicine (chi). Martial artists don't by default have access to herb lore, but they can learn esoteric medicine (chi) just fine.
Sure, but I was talking about doing this without taking time beyond that needed to forage. I figure that whatever skill you use, if it takes a druid a day off to prepare something from raw materials, it should take a martial artist a day off to prepare something. I have no issue with trading the resource of time (one day off per day of missing rations, so in effect double time) instead of that of money or FP, though.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Personally I'd just double the foraging time* (whatever base assumptions you're using) and then allow Esoteric Medicine (Chi or Druidic*) to make a few rations per day... call it MoS in rations per day (maximum 6, minimum 1 on a success).

This way a skilled group can remain mobile and keep monetary costs down while trading time for money... but not at such a terrible rate as to make it useless (they do need 3 Chi rats per day after all).

* The forager and the Druid need to study a single Chi Ration to know what they are looking for (or have Esoteric Medicine (Chi)), so best to have one on hand as an example. :)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Colarmel

I resolved it by buying a wagon and having the martial Artist pretend he travels light despite 135 lbs of rations in a wagon.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post

I resolved it by buying a wagon and having the martial Artist pretend he travels light despite 135 lbs of rations in a wagon.
Heh. I've seen parties do . . . well, far worse things. The flying magical disc lugging 1,500 lbs. of junk has to be the ultimate version – though to be fair, I allowed it to happen.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #17
InfinitePudding

He's traveling with foods light in carbs and fat. :) Does that count?
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Winds View Post

He's traveling with foods light in carbs and fat. :) Does that count?
Oh, dear . . . I've been inspired.

Chi Gain 4000: Everything a martial artist needs, in a state-of-the-art powder. Multiply doses by Chi Talent/2, rounded up, to find equivalent meals in the double-cost rations needed to maintain Chi abilities: Zero value for weaklings without Chi Talent, one double-cost meal equivalent per dose at Chi Talent 1-2, two at Chi Talent 3-4, and three at Chi Talent 5-6. Thus, a martial artist needs three doses/day to provide nutrition and sustain powers at Chi Talent 1-2, 1.5 doses/day at Chi Talent 3-4, or just one dose/day at Chi Talent 5-6! Each dose requires reconstitution with a quart of water, milk, or similar drinkable liquid. Per dose: $20, 0.25 lb.