Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Colarmel

Default Scent-Hiding

What skill covers hiding one's smell? Camouflage seems to be unconcerned with anything other than visual. Survival? Tracking?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Scent-Hiding

Stealth would cover being near a target and still going unscented - things like staying downwind, masking your scent with a stronger, common-to-the-area smell, and so forth would all be elements of Stealth. Stealth covers all senses, remember, not just sound. Actually, I could imagine an intelligent species whose sense of smell is their primary sense developing a "Smell-Camouflage" skill, whose role would be similar to Camouflage to humans: covering up the primary detection sense even when Stealth fails, so that opponents are aware of your presence, but still can't necessarily pinpoint your exact location.

Covering your scent against later pursuers would be a Tracking roll, which covers hiding tracks in general. If you had Discriminatory Smell, you'd get the usual +4 bonus for this, since it would let you precisely detect your own scent, thus letting you eliminate it more effectively.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Refplace

I would allow Stealth, Camouflage, and Survival as well as Professional Skill: Hunting to all work, subject to background and experiance.
But Stealth should definately work, as reference note that many predators have it and staying downwind is a tactic as can be hiding in scent emitting bushes.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would allow Stealth, Camouflage, and Survival as well as Professional Skill: Hunting to all work, subject to background and experiance.
But Stealth should definately work, as reference note that many predators have it and staying downwind is a tactic as can be hiding in scent emitting bushes.
I ordinarily treat this as a perk per sense - it's a kind of Skill Adaptation to your concealment skills. Sure you normally learn the skill for your major sense(s), but if you know others exist and approximately how they work, most of the principles would still apply.

Smell would presumably be the most widely available one, but the same issue applies to infrared, radar or other high tech sensors once they're invented, and there's no reason you couldn't use the same approach for other senses (e.g. the recent discussion on how to avoid monsters with Sense Life). To be sure stuff that will camouflage you from gravity ripple para-radar is less likely to be lying around on the forest floor than stuff that will provide visual camouflage, but if there *is* something lying around and you have the perk, you'd roll at normal Camouflage skill to recognize and use it.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Stealth would cover being near a target and still going unscented - things like staying downwind, masking your scent with a stronger, common-to-the-area smell, and so forth would all be elements of Stealth. Stealth covers all senses, remember, not just sound. Actually, I could imagine an intelligent species whose sense of smell is their primary sense developing a "Smell-Camouflage" skill, whose role would be similar to Camouflage to humans: covering up the primary detection sense even when Stealth fails, so that opponents are aware of your presence, but still can't necessarily pinpoint your exact location.

Would stealth for things like this, especially using cover scents, be IQ based?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Would stealth for things like this, especially using cover scents, be IQ based?
Either that, or Per-based. Note, however, that I'd only call for a separate roll for "smell Stealth" if scent was really the only major way to give you away. Most of the time, keeping control of your scent would simply be part of the regular Stealth roll.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

There should be some nod to realism in how difficult it would be to hide from a sense the PC lacks. Or at least to notice that it's flawed.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
There should be some nod to realism in how difficult it would be to hide from a sense the PC lacks. Or at least to notice that it's flawed.
Stealthing your smell is a pretty big part of stalking deer, which is a major use for stealth in real life despite the fact that most people can't smell anywhere near as well as a deer.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Stealthing your smell is a pretty big part of stalking deer, which is a major use for stealth in real life despite the fact that most people can't smell anywhere near as well as a deer.

Luke
Which is why I consider survival a valid or at least complimentary skill here.
You learn to know its important and things that are effective at masking your scent.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
What skill covers hiding one's smell? Camouflage seems to be unconcerned with anything other than visual. Survival? Tracking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B222, Stealth
-5 to fool those with Discriminatory Smell (e.g., dogs).
So just use the regular skill, at a modifier.

Another useful skill is Disguise (Animals).