Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Stone Flesh Ring calculation

If you're going to variant things then I'd like for most everything other than Weapon/Armor enchantment to be 1 ST/minute. This brings Stone Flesh into alignment with armor enchantment and Flight useful as compared to Flying Carpet.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I don't really like these items as presented. They're always on. They don't wear out. They have no power cost.
Yes, Stone Flesh items stacked with armor were the main thing making our late-game high-powered TFT games unpleasant. It meant that most normal weapons would almost never damage the people with them.

Quote:
The Wizard mentioned above can produce at least half a dozen of these annually. Due to their high utility, eventually everyone that needs one and can afford to pay will have one.
Yes, and even when you don't do that explicitly, but instead just assume that as a "$4000, no special ingredients" Lesser magic item, they are available one way or another, unless there is some reason not found in the books why they are really rare, they'll tend to get acquired by PCs that survive and have the money and/or other opportunities to get them.

Quote:
On the other hand, maybe that's how higher level characters survive in TFT.
In our games, before the magic items and power/wealth levels got very high, it wasn't necessary to survive - that can often be done by staying around enough comrades and using appropriate cleverness/tactics.

Quote:
I think I would prefer that the ring is created with a number of "charges." Each of these charges, when activated allows the item to work for a specified period, long enough to last a combat, say 5 minutes or whatever.
That's a good suggestion.

What we did is house rule a magic item breakdown system, which was a more elaborate way of adding a reason why people can't/won't just always use all of their magic items at all times. Henry's suggestion of just adding a fatigue cost can also work that way.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #13
hcobb

The Stone Flesh spell isn't overpowering because you don't know which turn you'll be hit in. Having enchanted armor protect you in surprise situations but not the ring would help to balance out the 2:1 cost differential.

Other things I've done are to limit armor enchantment effectiveness to the same level as the base armor and double armor DX penalty when worn over Stone/Iron/Diamond Flesh.