Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
zot

Default Re: TFT Powers - Mystic Monk portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I think the following alternate progression schedule (first proposed in my other thread) works well for this portfolio as well.
  • Tier 1 and 2 Powers - 750 XP each
  • Tier 3 and 4 Powers - 1500 XP
  • Tier 5 Powers - 3000 XP

Still looking for feedback on these powers too.
The fact that the first 4 tiers are synergistic makes it seem to me that each successive tier should be a lot more expensive than the previous one because it's going to add an increment to each tier below it in addition to adding an extra power that can also be incremented. So I'd consider the teirs this way:

1: -1 DX to melee attackers
2: -2 DX to melee attackers, +2 damage, +2 armor
3: -3 DX to melee attackers, +3 damage, +3 armor, +6 armor against fire
4: -4 DX to melee attackers, +4 damage, +4 armor, +8 armor against fire, -4 to ranged attackers
5: -5 DX to melee attackers, +5 damage, +5 armor, +10 armor against fire, -5 to ranged attackers, (plus non-incrementing stuff)

Each tier increments the existing powers and also adds an incrementing power (except 5th but there aren't more tiers after 5th anyway), so maybe the cost should go up 500 XP per tier, like this?

1: 500 XP
2: 1000 XP
3: 1500 XP
4: 2000 XP
5: 2500 XP

The total cost for tier 5 is 7500 XP just like your progression but I think the steady XP progression might reflect the benefit progression better.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
TippetsTX

What you are suggesting is essentaily my original progression scheme, but hold that thought zot... here's the re-structured version of this portfolio.

Tier 1 Powers (750 XP each)
Prerequisites: Unarmed Combat II

Master of Water

The character gains the ability to use the Defend option while unarmed (if they can't do-so already) and may Dodge even when engaged. All melee or HTH attacks made against them will subtract 1 point from the opponent’s DX roll per Power tier they have acquired in this portfolio (i.e. melee attacks against a character who has achieved the tier 2 ability ‘Master of Fire’ are made at -2 DX). This benefit will stack with the UC Evade ability.

This stance also improves the character's Throw ability. By redirecting their opponent's momentum, the character may throw them up to two hexes away from their current position.

Master of Earth

While in this stance the character's hardened flesh stops 2 hit per Power tier and stone-like fists and feet add 1 to unarmed Punch and Kick attacks per Power tier. Both bonuses stack with the character's current UC benefits as well as with other sources like Toughness and Stone Flesh. The character can also use the Defend option while unarmed.

Tier 2 Powers (1500 XP each)
Prerequisites: Unarmed Combat III

Master of Fire

A character with this Power can channel their internal chi into their hands generating extreme heat. This will manifest as a glowing or flaming fist (color will vary based on the player's preference, but yellow, orange or white are typical). The damage dealt will follow the same rules outlined for flaming weapons in ITL (pg 162). The flame adds +2 damage if the character normally does 1 die or less HTH damage, +3 if he does more than 1 and up to 2 dice damage, and 1d+1 if he does more than 2 dice damage.

The character also gains some resistance to fire or flame-based attacks (including magical spells). The stance will stop 2 hits of fire damage per Power tier that the character has acquired (i.e. 4 hits stopped initially).

Master of Air

The character using this stance has the same defensive bonus as the Master of Water except that they apply to ranged attacks and missile spells only (-2 DX ‘to hit’ to start which stacks with Evade) and can make jumps with more ease. All jumping actions will ‘cost’ 1 less MA and require 1 less die to perform (i.e. jumping 8 feet uses only 3 MA and success requires a roll on 4 dice vs. the total of their DX+ST). This character may also Dodge while engaged.

In addition, once per engagement, the character can deliver a whirlwind flurry of blows, striking in all directions against each opponent in their hex or any hex directly adjacent to them. They must roll ‘to hit’ separately against each opponent and damage dealt will be their current Unarmed Combat punch damage. This ability may only be used in normal combat, not if the character is engaged in HTH.

Tier 3 Power (3000 XP)
Prerequisites: Unarmed Combat IV

Master of the Void

The character's perceptions and martial abilities now extend beyond the material realm. While in this stance, the character effectively has Mage Sight (as the spell) enhancing their ‘eyes-behind’ Evade ability. Their supernatural senses can also perceive someone cloaked by the Unnoticeability spell and even pierce the Astral plane to detect astral projections. This character may also Dodge while engaged.

Their fists likewise gain the ability to strike non-material targets including ghosts and other incorporeal creatures, opponents using the Insubstantiality spell, and ‘astral bodies’.

Finally, when the character acquires UC V, they can use their Nerve Strike ability once per day to paralyze an opponent as per the Freeze spell. Obviously, this would not work on creatures without discernible anatomy or physical form. Elementals and constructs would also be immune to this ability.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
zot

I keep waffling back and forth thinking "this is a bit O.P.", thinking about how powerful wizards with a similar XP expenditure are, and looking at the UC talent writeups which actually have a lot in common with this power progression (the UC costs are actually a 2000 XP cheaper, costing 1, 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

Considering the eventual gain of magic items that experience brings, I think the XP-to-power ratio here might be quite fair or at least near the mark -- it definitely needs play testing. This is putting UC fighters closer to wizards (how much closer, though, is still a question), which is as it should be in my book. In fantasy, Kung Fu is supposed to be particularly mystical although fantasy has magical masters of many kinds.

I think a really nice table might be the expected ownership of magic items at different XP levels. This would be a great tool for designing XP-powers and actually replacing magic items with them by making magic items more rare and expensive.

I think this is a great start to a much needed balancing of power in TFT!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
TippetsTX

Thanks for the feedback. Most of you guys have far more experience with TFT game-running than I so your perspectives are extremely valuable and appreciated.

And believe me, I obsess over the power-balance of these abilities pretty regularly myself. Its one of the main reasons I've only shared two portfolios so far. I also accept that the concept of Powers may not fit everyone's vision of what TFT should be which is why I include the following statement in the description... "Powers are literally game-changers and as such, GMs should carefully consider their impact on the game before adding them as a character option." That said, however, I believe they can add an exciting dimension to the game w/o breaking it (playtest confirmation pending).

You also bring up a good point about magic items which I hadn't directly considered. My hope, however, is that my design goal to not directly replicate existing spells should allow Powers to remain viable even in a campaign where magic items are quite prevalent.

BTW, when comparing the XP cost of this particular portfolio against the UC talents don't forget that UC V requires a 40-point character. That's 8300 XP on top of whatever they have to spend on the talents.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-30-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
BTW, when comparing the XP cost of this particular portfolio against the UC talents don't forget that UC V requires a 40-point character. That's 8300 XP on top of whatever they have to spend on the talents.
True but besides being a prerequisite, 40 points does have its benefits...
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
Skarg

For people using the new XP curve (which TippetsTX isn't planning to), requirements for fighters to put points in IQ is a big deal when comparing to abilities that don't require that.

However it seems like in the case of this monk portfolio, the idea is someone would want to get Unarmed Combat as well and stack the defensive to-hit penalties and damage bonuses etc.

I'd think some wizards might be tempted to get these, too, to get some good defensive bonuses without having to get any combat talents, also because they too don't generally wear much armor, so that restriction wouldn't bother them.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
hcobb

Why would a wizard be unarmed?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #18
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
For people using the new XP curve (which TippetsTX isn't planning to), requirements for fighters to put points in IQ is a big deal when comparing to abilities that don't require that.
True, but that is part of the balancing factor for these Powers. Plus IQ is critical for any UC-based character now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
However it seems like in the case of this monk portfolio, the idea is someone would want to get Unarmed Combat as well and stack the defensive to-hit penalties and damage bonuses etc.

I'd think some wizards might be tempted to get these, too, to get some good defensive bonuses without having to get any combat talents, also because they too don't generally wear much armor, so that restriction wouldn't bother them.
Well, the XP cost to acquire UC II might be something of a barrier for wizards, but I do want Powers to appeal across traditional character lines. And don't forget that there should be a story-based prerequisite as well... finding and convincing a Master to teach you.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-30-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Why would a wizard be unarmed?
Uh oh, somebody woke the bear.
;)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #20
hcobb

Wouldn't wizards just take weapon mastery stick?