Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #51
zot

Default Re: Gates, Gate keys, and Gate locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
If I had a player as interested as you, the end result would probably be a couple of pages of house rules, called the Liber Portorum or something of the sort. But I *know* that you can come up with cases like those faster than I can one-shot consistent replies. Do you have a general solution?
I don't - I think it would be really hard to make gates that are useful and fun without also making gate networks "Turing complete", i.e. a gate network is a computer. Computation is so fundamental to reality that is surprising how little you need to make a computer.

I like gates. They have always been one of the coolest things about TFT!

How technological Cidri ends up feeling will be entirely up to GMs. You can't -- and shouldn't -- try to stop it.

Also, Cidri is so huge and magic is so dangerous and volatile that there will always be room for any published campaigns and materials, even on a totally whacked-out Cidri, because empires will always be falling!

Last edited by zot; 07-22-2018 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typeos from autocorrect -- arrgh
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #52
JLV

Quote:
That was what I meant with the comment about the character sheet. Too silly? Too meta?
Okay, it wasn't quite clear to me, but I thought that might be your intention -- that's why I asked the second question.

Maybe just say that a gate has the ability to discern a figure's true nature (i.e., has a complete understanding of his attributes, talents and spells) as it transports his matrix between locations and let it go at that. GMs that want more complexity can build on that, and ones who prefer it to be more mysterious can just leave it that way...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #53
ak_aramis

Quote:
That was what I meant with the comment about the character sheet. Too silly? Too meta?
Not too meta for me; it does, however, imply that the gate itself is telepathic.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #54
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Not too meta for me; it does, however, imply that the gate itself is telepathic.
Using telepathy is a possibility but not strictly implied. Maybe it uses some other capability, like matching your "reality pattern", that's completely devoid of consciousness.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #55
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Using telepathy is a possibility but not strictly implied. Maybe it uses some other capability, like matching your "reality pattern", that's completely devoid of consciousness.
Either way, it's explicitly making a judgement call, which implies some intellect.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #56
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Either way, it's explicitly making a judgement call, which implies some intellect.
Computation at the least, which was my point earlier :). But TFT magic has a lot of that, see my Implicit detection magic thread for more examples.

I don't think this is a bad thing at all but GMs do need to be aware of potential implications.