Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: Multiple wizard missile spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I allowed the Fire Blast spell from Interplay 1 (which is essentially an explosive fireball, but, y'know IQ 20, so...), and some others like Multiple Creation. My approval rate for Interplay spells was pretty low (maybe 20%?), though.

Some I tried allowing but didn't end up liking in practice (Light Ray, another multi-target missile spell, but I don't like the mechanics, Heat Metal...).
Yeah, most of the spells from Interplay left me pretty cold. There were one or two pretty good ones spread out through them though... For the most part, if you want something special, you can just re-skin an existing spell -- want an "icebolt"? Tell them that it's Lightning Bolt with a different manifestation. Saves a lot of time and effort...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
Senturian

how about:
Being able to cast up to strength 3 missile spells in a turn and each additional 2 points costs an additional turn.
and what happens if the caster gets interrupted?
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
Skarg

That can work. You could borrow the GURPS rules for spell interruption, and dropped charging missile spells...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 AM   #14
MikMod

How about casting up to level 3 missile spells is perfectly safe, but over that you have to start making 4,5 dice saves vs IQ to avoid damage from the extra power that is flowing through you?

So an IQ 14 mage casting a 5 dice lightning rolls 5d vs IQ, fails with a 17 and takes 3 damage (wounds not fatigue) herself.

If the wizard dies in the casting attempt, they simply explode? :)
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
How about casting up to level 3 missile spells is perfectly safe, but over that you have to start making 4,5 dice saves vs IQ to avoid damage from the extra power that is flowing through you?

So an IQ 14 mage casting a 5 dice lightning rolls 5d vs IQ, fails with a 17 and takes 3 damage (wounds not fatigue) herself.

If the wizard dies in the casting attempt, they simply explode? :)
Ooh! I like this! But why "3 damage?" Why not 2 damage, or 5 damage (the number of dice worth she tried to cast)?
Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
Shoug

The name "Wizard's Wrath" suggests that it's an especially intense experience from the Wizard's perspective. Maybe it's like an Aid spell that gives the caster a 1:2 ratio on ST, and then it allows you to funnel any amount of ST into any spell while the Wrath lasts. It would function as a two turn commitment to casting a super massive spell. To stay consistent with the "Wrath" theme, neither Mana nor temp ST may be used to cast Wizard's Wrath, it must represent a visceral outburst of rage (maybe it requires an IQ test to successfully cast instead of DX, similar to berserking).
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Ooh! I like this! But why "3 damage?" Why not 2 damage, or 5 damage (the number of dice worth she tried to cast)?
She rolled 17, and missed the roll by 3 points, which she took as damage. :)

It does limit missile spells, but with some flexibility to allow for an extraordinary effort under extreme circumstances - with a risk. In the example the spell worked and would deliver 5 dice damage (if she makes her hit roll) it's just that acting as a power conduit has given her shock and burns...
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #18
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
She rolled 17, and missed the roll by 3 points, which she took as damage. :)

It does limit missile spells, but with some flexibility to allow for an extraordinary effort under extreme circumstances - with a risk. In the example the spell worked and would deliver 5 dice damage (if she makes her hit roll) it's just that acting as a power conduit has given her shock and burns...
Ah! I knew there had to be a reason, I just couldn't tease it out! ;-)