Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
warhorse11h

Default Multiple wizard missile spells

Under the original rules, there were no limits on the power of missile spells beyond the limit of the wizard's ST. Under the new rules, they are limited to 3 ST power, no more. But for battlefield magic, I think there should be a way to increase the power of missile spells.

One approach, would be to permit the wizard to go beyond a 3 ST limit, at least in a fashion.

1 to 3 ST produce effects as written in current rules.
4 ST, 3 ST in center hex and 1 ST effect in surrounding hexes. MH area.
5 ST, 3 ST in center hex and 1/2 damage in surrounding hexes. MH area.
6 ST, 3 ST in center hex and 2 ST effect in surrounding hexes. MH area.

Multi-hex creature effects would be limited to the highest damage effect or could be each hex in area receives effect as above and any armor protects on each normally.

The other might require either a new talent or more likely a new spell, "eldritch channeling" or some such. The spell would allow him to channel and focus the effects of other wizards spells, allowing him to combine multiple, identical spells into a single powerful version of the spell.

A wizard would cast this on himself and then other wizards would all cast their missile spells into the wizard doing the channeling. He would combine them and fire all of them at the desired target at one time, developing far greater power than normal. I think I would allow him to take 1 point of damage for each die of spell energy he channels, with a save vs IQ for 1/2 damage.

This is a working idea, and constructive input is welcome.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Multiple wizard missile spells

Personally, I will allow up to 5 ST for missile spells.

As far as area-effect damage goes, however, I think those should be distinct spells. We need more like them TBH.

I also like the idea of 'blending' spell effects (not exactly what you are suggesting, but it would be close cousin). It's a clever way to extend the usefulness of magic and address the limited spell capacity inherent to TFT.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ighlight=Combo

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-07-2019 at 08:55 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
warhorse11h

One more version for powering area effect missile spells
Normal cost damage done to target hex.
x2 ST used, Normal damage center hex, 1/2 damage in surrounding ring of hexes.
x4 ST used, Normal damage in center hex, 1/2 damage in surrounding ring of hexes and 1/4 damage the next ring of hexes.
x8 ST used, Normal damage in center hex, 2/3 damage in surrounding ring of hexes, 1/2 damage in the next ring and 1/4 damage in the ring beyond that.
x16 ST used, normal damage to everyone in target hex and adjacent hexes, 2/3 damage in the next ring, 1/2 next ring out, and 1/4 damage to the last ring.

this would be the scaling if you use the original missile spell as the basis.

If it is a separate spell, then if would be reasonable to have one for each of the four missile spells and to require that you have the original spell before acquiring the area effect version of it.

Separate spell progression would be different, starting at x2 ST to cast and adding one more tier at the bottom.

x2 ST as above
x4 ST as above
x8 ST as above
x16 ST as above
x32 ST Full damage to anyone in the center MH and first ring of hexes beyond, then 2/3, 1/2, 1/4.

None of these effects would allow for distinctions between friend or foe. If you are using the spell with a partially obscured line of sight, rolling to miss becomes necessary and if it hits someone close enough, you can also be in the area of effect.

Possible names would be: Fire strike or possibly Napalm, Lightning Blast, Wizard's Blast. Can't think of one for a Magic Fist version right now.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 05-08-2019 at 05:32 AM.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
hcobb

Just pass around a 20d wizard's wraith rod to your 20 apprentices.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
TippetsTX

Something about how missile spells are presented has always bothered me... namely how they all become obsolete once you have acquired Wizard's Wrath (since that spell can take the form of any of the previous missile spells).

What if instead, each missile spell included a unique secondary effect (or perhaps a 'boost-able' feature such as suggested above) that is not replicated by Wizard's Wrath. For example, knockback from Magic Fist, explosive area-effect from Fireball, etc. Then we can make Wizard's Wrath similarly unique in some way rather than simply a stronger version of the 'lesser' missile spells. Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Something about how missile spells are presented has always bothered me... namely how they all become obsolete once you have acquired Wizard's Wrath (since that spell can take the form of any of the previous missile spells).

What if instead, each missile spell included a unique secondary effect (or perhaps a 'boost-able' feature such as suggested above) that is not replicated by Wizard's Wrath. For example, knockback from Magic Fist, explosive area-effect from Fireball, etc. Then we can make Wizard's Wrath similarly unique in some way rather than simply a stronger version of the 'lesser' missile spells. Thoughts?
Sure. (knockback, setting things on fire, and destroying enchantments) They already do, though you could exaggerate them (e.g. more knockback and/or breaking things, area effect, and maybe the ability to disrupt thrown spells as well as enchantments).

So all you'd need to do would be to genericize Wizard's Wrath... or have Wizard's Wrath add punch to a missile spell you already (need to) know.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
or have Wizard's Wrath add punch to a missile spell you already (need to) know.
I'd vote for this one.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
So all you'd need to do would be to genericize Wizard's Wrath... or have Wizard's Wrath add punch to a missile spell you already (need to) know.
Or maybe what Wizard's Wrath really does is to allow the caster to weave two missile spells together creating combo effects (i.e. fire + lighting = plasma blast)?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Personally, I will allow up to 5 ST for missile spells.

As far as area-effect damage goes, however, I think those should be distinct spells. We need more like them TBH.

I also like the idea of 'blending' spell effects (not exactly what you are suggesting, but it would be close cousin). It's a clever way to extend the usefulness of magic and address the limited spell capacity inherent to TFT.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ighlight=Combo
I looked at your examples and I think that has some merit. If a wizard has Spell X and Spell Y he can cast Spell Z which combines the spell effects in some way. I actually stole spells from a couple of other games and reworked them for TFT.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
Skarg

I allowed the Fire Blast spell from Interplay 1 (which is essentially an explosive fireball, but, y'know IQ 20, so...), and some others like Multiple Creation. My approval rate for Interplay spells was pretty low (maybe 20%?), though.

Some I tried allowing but didn't end up liking in practice (Light Ray, another multi-target missile spell, but I don't like the mechanics, Heat Metal...).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote