Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Apollonian

Default [Dragon Heresy] Good adventures to convert?

So I picked this up, and am impatiently waiting for the Lost Hall of Tyr to hit my doorstep. But in the meantime, I've started a campaign with my usual gang, and find I have less time for crafting adventures than I thought. Can anyone recommend some good D&D modules for low-level characters (of any edition) that will port over to Dragon Heresy with minimal effort?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Dragon Heresy] Good adventures to convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
So I picked this up, and am impatiently waiting for the Lost Hall of Tyr to hit my doorstep. But in the meantime, I've started a campaign with my usual gang, and find I have less time for crafting adventures than I thought. Can anyone recommend some good D&D modules for low-level characters (of any edition) that will port over to Dragon Heresy with minimal effort?
You could always start with a classic: The Keep on the Borderlands. Say either that the Keep is actually Northwatch/Nordvorn, or put a remote castle northwest of Northwatch with convenient caves.

You might have to do a bit of monster substitution and conversion, but if you have the 5e Monster Manual, that's not hard. Pretty much EVERYTHING is right out of the book, except.

Threat DC is just 10 + the monster's DEX bonus
Hit DC is 18+ DEX Bonus+Proficiency (which if you can't find it is buried in the proficiency bonus by challenge rating table or some such)

DR needs to be extrapolated a bit: take the difference between a critter's AC from the book and its Threat DC. The difference is due to armor. Multiply by the scaling factor used for control maximum/size (1.0 for Medium, 1.5 for Large, 2 for Huge, etc) to get it's DR.

Control Points for a grapple are based on the creature's Hit Die (mostly; you won't go wrong).

Vigor is hit points.

Vigor dice are hit dice

Wound Maximum is (CON + STR Bonus) x Size Scaling factor

Control Point Maximum is (STR + DEX Bonus) x Size scaling factor

I have run - off the cuff with no prep - more than one OSR or 5e adventure simply with those rules and looking up the monster - or a convenient analog - in the section in the back.

Actually, if you have Lost Hall 1e, you can run it with that, too. All of the monsters can be looked up in the monster section of the core book.

I should be getting a preliminary file out within the week to upgrade Lost Hall, after you'll have Hall of Judgment in Dragon Heresy format, for Level 1-5.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Also: please do check out the "Where to find me!" link on my blog, which should help you get in touch with me directly. I obviously want you to be successful in running Dragon Heresy!

I should be pretty much available after a few hours this afternoon, and can help you try a few things. When I was playtesting, I used the Donjon random dungeon generator with very good success to automatically whip up some playtest encounters.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

No familiarity with Dragon Heresy (but did look at it on Douglas' website so I at least know what it is now). But, my favorite, low-level AD&D adventure (from 1e) is N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God (link to DriveThruRPG). I've run it in 5e and GURPS.

Another good one, with a decent amount of Role-Playing as well as a good dungeon crawl (from Basic) is B4 The Lost City (again, link to DriveThruRPG). Though, really, it would make a for a great campaign setting, I think.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
DouglasCole

For those wondering, "What is Dragon Heresy?"

If you're here on the SJG web forums, presumably you're familiar with their products. So . . . Dragon Heresy is what happens when a long-time GURPS writer likes what he sees in 5e, but wants to play around with some changes including

* Mechanical distinction between "you defended yourself and got tired, lucky, or whatever" and "ow, I'm hurt and bleeding."
* More to do with your shields that better reflect their utility
* Better grappling rules (naturally)

It was the original vector for the setting that is hinted at in Hall of Judgment, and will get more detail in 2019.

In some respects, it's what happens when 5e and GURPS love each other very much . . . and if you like the 5e mechanics and can easily find players, but like a bit more grit and considerably more viking in your game, you might like it.

I'm finishing up turning Hall of Judgment into the aforementioned Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition) right now, and we're JUST SHY of a stretch goal for an offset print run. I posted about that on my blog today.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
No familiarity with Dragon Heresy (but did look at it on Douglas' website so I at least know what it is now). But, my favorite, low-level AD&D adventure (from 1e) is N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God (link to DriveThruRPG). I've run it in 5e and GURPS.

Another good one, with a decent amount of Role-Playing as well as a good dungeon crawl (from Basic) is B4 The Lost City (again, link to DriveThruRPG). Though, really, it would make a for a great campaign setting, I think.
Whilst you're down there X6: Quagmire is a good sandbox module and could very easily be attached to Caravan to Ein Arris simply by having Ein Arris replace Slagovich, thus tipping the party into the area. X1: The Isle of Dread can also be dropped into the immediate area. and bits of X4: Master of the Desert Nomads (the plot of the module is painfully railroady, as are several of the encounters, but stripping it for parts should work).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
DouglasCole

Just to follow up. I got the hardcopy proofs today from the US printer . . . wow. Just wow.

https://gamingballistic.com/2019/02/...inter-arrived/
Old 02-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
and bits of X4: Master of the Desert Nomads (the plot of the module is painfully railroady, as are several of the encounters, but stripping it for parts should work).
I think X5 is the 2nd half of X4?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I think X5 is the 2nd half of X4?
Yes. Called something like "The Temple of Death" - was a complete change of tone from the first half. Never got to play it.
There's a lot in those modules that is worth salvaging, I just wouldn't run them as written.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Just to follow up. I got the hardcopy proofs today from the US printer . . . wow. Just wow.

https://gamingballistic.com/2019/02/...inter-arrived/
Update: At the rate my group is progressing through the starter adventure, we'll actually be able to play Lost Hall no problem :/ Stupid real life getting in the way of game sessions.

I picked up Keep on the Borderlands anyway.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d&d, dragon heresy