Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
KarmaPolice

Default Cleric Resurrection Ability

My family and I have recently had a loud argument regarding an issue with the clerk in accordance with the clerk. The game owner resolved the conflict, but we are still curious to see if he was right.

When the clerk resurects a card from the kick the door pile, does he or she have to face the card as if it were drawn from the regular draw pile?

The card states, "When it is time to draw a card face-up, you may instead take the top card from the appropriate discard pile." To some of us this meant that the clerk could "take" the card into his hand and then use it later (implied by the word take), and to some of us, this meant that they would have to fight a monster (or take a curse) as if drawn regularly.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Clerk Resurrection Ability

When the Cleric uses the Resurrection ability, the resurrected card is treated FOR ALL PURPOSES as though it were drawn normally. That means if you were about to kick open a door, then you would encounter the card you resurrected as the result of that action -- if it's a monster, you fight it; if it's a Curse, you suffer it; and so on.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
KarmaPolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
When the Cleric uses the Resurrection ability, the resurrected card is treated FOR ALL PURPOSES as though it were drawn normally. That means if you were about to kick open a door, then you would encounter the card you resurrected as the result of that action -- if it's a monster, you fight it; if it's a Curse, you suffer it; and so on.
Thanks! This helps a lot.
KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
whassumattuh

My group has not played this way. I am confused because the Cleric card says that you can take as many cards from the discard pile as you can discard from your hand. In other words, if I have three cards in my hand and it is my turn to kick the door down, I should be able to take three cards from the top of the discard pile in exchange for discarding my three cards. Is that not correct? If it is, then do I consider the top card my "kick down the door" card (i.e., if it is a monster then I must battle it or if it is a curse then I must suffer the effects of the curse)?
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

As many cards as you want, up to the number you would be drawing normally.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
whassumattuh

Thank you for your help, but I am still not sure of the answer to my question. If I use the Cleric ability to resurrect multiple cards, which card is considered to be my "kick down the door" card? The card on top, the card on bottom, the player's choosing???
Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Palmer

Default Re: Cleric Resurrection Ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
Thank you for your help, but I am still not sure of the answer to my question. If I use the Cleric ability to resurrect multiple cards, which card is considered to be my "kick down the door" card? The card on top, the card on bottom, the player's choosing???
The answer was correct. Read it again.

You may only resurrect when you are drawing.
You may only resurrect as many cards as you are drawing.

If you are kicking down the door, that is drawing ONE CARD.
Thus, you may only resurrect ONE CARD. The number you would draw normally. And that card would be the door you kicked down.
(If you have an ability that lets you kick down multiple cards, then you can resurrect... that many. And they're all door-kicks, obviously)

Remember, the cleric says "When you draw a card, INSTEAD draw from the discards"
It does not say "Draw as many cards as you want"
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
whassumattuh

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to be so persistent, I just want to have this cleared up because it is something my group uses often. My Cleric card from the 1st Edition, 20th Printing, Published August, 2010 reads:

Resurrection: When it is time for you to draw cards face-up, you may instead take some OR ALL from the top of the appropriate discard pile.
You must then discard one card from your hand for each card so drawn.

Are you saying that the Cleric can only resurrect one card (the card on top of the discard pile) while kicking the door down? I can't think of any other opportunity to draw cards face up from the Door pile. And you would only draw face up from the Treasure pile when you help in battle. Is that what the card is saying?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Polyceph

Quote:

Are you saying that the Cleric can only resurrect one card (the card on top of the discard pile) while kicking the door down? I can't think of any other opportunity to draw cards face up from the Door pile. And you would only draw face up from the Treasure pile when you help in battle. Is that what the card is saying?
That's my take on it (although to be pedantic, for treasures it is in a battle you were helped in- if you were the helper the person whose turn it was is actually drawing from the pile not the cleric helper). Makes the ability almost useless in my opinion. In the treasure example, if the card you would like is not the top card of the discards (and you are entitled to more than one treasure) you have to discard cards to take treasures you don't want to get to the one you do want, and it can only happen in very limited situations.
Polyceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Absolutely. You may only draw one Door at that point, and there is nothing on the Cleric card that grants you the ability to draw any more cards than you were going to in the first place. I'm fairly certain I answered this in painful detail since the release of the reprints, and if I have time to find it, I'll post a link, assuming Kirt doesn't find it first. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleric, clerk resurrection, resurrection