Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
MiniMunch

Default Re: About "Rocks fall, everyone dies"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuplis View Post
We had a strange thing happen in our last game. I'm fighting and losing to a monster that has "You are dead" as bad stuff. A level 9 player who has the "dark" race modifier has used abilities and cards against me. I fail to run away and play "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Does he win? I know you can't level up while dead but which one happens first, death or level-up?
...Sabrina?

Maybe not, but this sounds exactly like what happened in a game I was in just the other night :)
MiniMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
uttwich

My interpretation:

The Dark card does not state that the player has to suffer the bad stuff in order to get the level, only that the monsters have to win the combat. So if the player in combat has to run away, he has already lost the combat and it is at that point that the Dark player gets his/her level. If that gives them level 10 then the game ends. The result of the run away roll is inconsequential. Since Rocks Fall Everyone Dies cannot be played until after you lose a combat, and since at that point the Dark player has already earned his winning level, I would hold that playing this card also does not make a difference in the outcome since the game ended as soon as you lost the combat.

Anyone wanting to chime in to the contrary feel free, but based on strict interpretation of the cards this is how I would expect things to go down.
uttwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttwich View Post
My interpretation:

The Dark card does not state that the player has to suffer the bad stuff in order to get the level, only that the monsters have to win the combat. So if the player in combat has to run away, he has already lost the combat and it is at that point that the Dark player gets his/her level. If that gives them level 10 then the game ends. The result of the run away roll is inconsequential. Since Rocks Fall Everyone Dies cannot be played until after you lose a combat, and since at that point the Dark player has already earned his winning level, I would hold that playing this card also does not make a difference in the outcome since the game ended as soon as you lost the combat.

Anyone wanting to chime in to the contrary feel free, but based on strict interpretation of the cards this is how I would expect things to go down.
Nothing can give you the winning Level except killing a Monster or a card that says you can get the winning Level by using it. Dark says you can get the winning Level, but only if one of the Munchkins died trying to escape. So, in that sense, you are wrong in saying that the Dark player won just because the other player had to Run Away. He can't get that Level until a player dies while trying to Run Away.

Official final answer for this particular situation: The Dark player gets the Level as soon as the fleeing player died, winning the game. Playing Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies would happen after that, so it wouldn't mean anything.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-31-2011 at 12:48 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
uttwich

Thanks Erik -- forgot the clause about only getting the winning level if the player dies.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
uttwich

For clarification, though, under non-winning level circumstances, the Dark player would get the level as soon as the player loses combat (i.e. has to try and run away), correct?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttwich View Post
For clarification, though, under non-winning level circumstances, the Dark player would get the level as soon as the player loses combat (i.e. has to try and run away), correct?
Yup. A Level 8 Dark whatever would basically have gotten his Level as soon as the other player gave up on trying to win and grabbed his die to roll it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
majikfreak

I added 3 sets of the Reloaded booster to my collection... and to my decks...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
whassumattuh

Rocks Fall says that other players lose a level if you lose a combat. Does that mean that you can play it even if you successfully run away? Thanks!
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
Rocks Fall says that other players lose a level if you lose a combat. Does that mean that you can play it even if you successfully run away? Thanks!
Yes. You still lost.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
Flemroid

I'm sure this has been discussed and it makes sense I just can't seem to find it anywhere. If all players died when Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies was played would all items and cards just be discarded as no one could loot any bodies?

Tags
death, run away