Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
lachimba

Default More to do for the DF Cleric

A player who was playing a DF Cleric has asked "what else can I do?"

So apart from healing, dealing with curses/poisions/diseases, buffing and pretty ordinary fighting?

What else can/should the DF Cleric do?

I think that they were thinking in terms of the D&D cleric which IIRC Baldur's Gate had access to hold, and entanglement spells.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: More to do for the DF Cleric

Exorcism.

All the spells on their list that aren't those things you already mentioned.

Holy abilities.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
tbone

It's GURPS, so a cleric can buy pretty much any ability (if not restricted to another template by DF). And the cleric can even make pretty much any ability into a "cleric thing" by adding the power modifier.

Maybe the player's question is "What can a by-the-template DF cleric do?"

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
Refplace

Blessed is another and if he is looking for a D&D type cleric True Faith seems a great fit.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
PK

Buffs. Pretty much every type of DF cleric has access to a wide range of spells to make other PCs stronger, tougher, faster, etc. Or to do the same to themselves, though Blessed (Heroic Feats) tends to be better for that.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Buffs. Pretty much every type of DF cleric has access to a wide range of spells to make other PCs stronger, tougher, faster, etc. Or to do the same to themselves, though Blessed (Heroic Feats) tends to be better for that.
I believe the player is looking for stuns, disables and the like. Which dont seem to be the domain of the Cleric.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I believe the player is looking for stuns, disables and the like. Which dont seem to be the domain of the Cleric.
Well, they've got a couple. Quickly going over the cleric list, and breaking down by Power Investiture level:

PI 1:
  • Thunderclap - deafens a target or targets (it's actually got a decent radius, for cheap!), which can give a nice bonus for your sneaky-types to creep up on them, and certainly prevents them hearing orders, coordinating with their friends, etc.

PI 3:
  • Suspended Animation - good for stopping your friends from dying, sure. But at only 30 seconds base casting time, it's actually plausible to be casting this in hiding, then jumping out and getting someone with it. It basically takes them out of the fight, because it can't be removed by just shaking them awake.

PI 5:
  • Curse - need I say more?
  • Earthquake - don't use it indoors, but very handy for when you need to bring down the house.
  • Storm - needs some long-term planning, but it lets you seriously discomfit your enemies, and gives you some good cover.

PI 6:
  • Drain Mana - are you fighting a wizard, or anything sustained by magic? You can conveniently create areas where they are hindered and you are fine. Just coordinate with the party wizard to avoid shutting them down too.

Of course, if you go into the variant clerics presented in Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics, several of them have hindering spells on their lists as well. You might consider letting the cleric either swap their spell list, if that's appropriate, or just permit a perk that lets a cleric access a new spell, assuming you feel it's appropriate.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Stone Dog

Why not give him a Binding power, then?

Chains of Heaven: 4/per level [ Binding (Engulfing +60%, Unbreakable +40%, Based on Will +20%, Holy -10%, requires concentrate -25%) ]

As for stunning?

Castigate: 4 [ rapier wit (Holy -10%)]

Is it an enhancement to use Religious Ritual with Rapier Wit instead of Public Speaking?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Why not give him a Binding power, then?

Chains of Heaven: 4/per level [ Binding (Engulfing +60%, Unbreakable +40%, Based on Will +20%, Holy -10%, requires concentrate -25%) ]

As for stunning?

Is it an enhancement to use Religious Ritual with Rapier Wit instead of Public Speaking?
It is if you are G. K. Chesterton. Why not have him as a DF cleric?

Your Warrior can be Jack Churchill and the Ranger can be Ralph Bagnold. The Wizard would be Oppenheimer.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:19 AM   #10
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post

Its 5 points

Tags
cleric, dungeon fantasy, gurps, player advice