Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
El Ravager31

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Best line of that movie, and fitting for any bow-slinging hero of TL6+.

Also, take a line from Hawkeye and Green Arrow in the comics. They use bow-and-arrows, but the trick arrows they use are often best, and easily statted using UT.

Signature Gear (Consumable) from Supers lets you replenish your supply of warhead arrows between sessions (or GM permitting, whenever you're off-camera). It's not just for superhero games.

Also, don't forget armor-piercing arrow-heads for punching through that first layer of armor.

I honestly had not thought about the Consumable Signature Gear from the Supers book, so I wanted to say thanks for the tip... I'll definitely be suggesting that to the player.

Weby, I definitely like what you have as far as the arrows that your elves will be using. That definitely gives me what I've been looking for plus the costs that you have on those seem pretty consistent with the wealth of the campaign.
El Ravager31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
El Ravager31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
And it need not be limited to putting out the energy that's put in. The UT bow doesn't need to bow. It could be a vaguely bow shaped object with two vandegraff generator look a likes at the tips, and a tingly glowing "string" that acts as a force multiplier (uses hyperspacial force fields to flaven the electrons of the arrow's gribnark field and convert the user's ST to super ST for pull only). It would be like the stretchy-string toy bows of TL 7-8, but far more deadly.

Or maybe the bow is made of ultra tech polymers that allow a ST 300 draw, and then there are UT gloves or bracers that use repeller rays to push each other apart, giving the user Super ST for pulling something apart between his hands. The gloves might be common in any upscale UT kitchen, used for cracking open Gryc't'nor shells.

And finally, it might be a hyperspacial jump gate for a miniature species, and the arrows are empty ships with really explosive fuel. The gate happens to work on the player's mental frequency; it detects where he wants each arrow to go and sends it there, based on his arrow skill since that's how he tries to use it at first. Learn a little hyperspacial geometry, and he can make his "arrows" do some neat tricks.

I like the thought of possibly the bow itself being much stronger. However, with a lot of the energy arrows (and gadget arrows in general), STR would only be used in calculating distances.

However... If someone used some type of futuristic polymer or metal to make piercing arrows, could the bow itself become a type of gadget with Striking Strength as an advantage?

Either way, I want to thank everyone for their advice so far. I definitely have a direction to go in now which is what I was needing.
El Ravager31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #13
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ravager31 View Post
However... If someone used some type of futuristic polymer or metal to make piercing arrows, could the bow itself become a type of gadget with Striking Strength as an advantage?
You could always use a powered exoskeleton that covers the arms and shoulders only (adds Arm ST). Then Bow Dude could pull the bow with ST 25 or something (although he will need a sufficiently robust bow to handle ST 25 worth of bending).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Arrows are just as valid as any other pointy object for Superfine and Hyperdense blades. You have a clear path to bring your pointy sticks up to TL11 standards, if that seems worthwhile (which it might if you've got some kind of power-assist superbow). (I don't remember whether vibroblades work for impaling weapons. If they do, you could have hyperdense vibro arrowheads.)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
malloyd

Quote:
I like the thought of possibly the bow itself being much stronger. However, with a lot of the energy arrows (and gadget arrows in general), STR would only be used in calculating distances.
In the limit, it wouldn't be used for anything at all. You could build a gun right now that lacks a trigger but fires when you snap a bowstring. There isn't any sensible reason to do this, but you *could*.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post

... Composite recurve bow with electronically accelerated ...
Fantastic! I'm stealing...
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Tinman

Back to the Arrows for a second:
Allow monowire arrowheads. a 10 armordivisor & your bowmaster can take on heavy armored troops.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
Rysith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Or maybe the bow is made of ultra tech polymers that allow a ST 300 draw, and then there are UT gloves or bracers that use repeller rays to push each other apart, giving the user Super ST for pulling something apart between his hands. The gloves might be common in any upscale UT kitchen, used for cracking open Gryc't'nor shells.
Or the bow could be made of myomer fibers that act like muscles, 'snapping' the bow as the string is released, which I'd probably model as striking strength in the same range as whatever exoskeletons there are in the setting.

Really, I suspect that the bow is going to end up acting (mostly) as a payload rifle, which should give it awesome utility. Make sure they have arrows for every situation, maybe even gadget (arrows only). There isn't any reason that the arrows can't be guided (via computer-controlled fletching or whatever), and if your 'normal' arrows are doing 3d(10) imp damage (and are reusable!), that seems like it's in the same damage range as the guns other people are likely to have.
Rysith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Is it still a bow if the power isn't coming entirely from the user? Aesthetically it would lose its "bow coolness", to me at least.

If allowing superscience, I agree with getting monowire arrowheads.
Even more superscience may lead to Wookie bowcaster like bows.

Or like I'm sure many others have imagined, a bow that throws tiny light sabers.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Arrows are just as valid as any other pointy object for Superfine and Hyperdense blades. You have a clear path to bring your pointy sticks up to TL11 standards, if that seems worthwhile (which it might if you've got some kind of power-assist superbow). (I don't remember whether vibroblades work for impaling weapons. If they do, you could have hyperdense vibro arrowheads.)
If the assumption is that the bow is for some purpose where bows are assumed to be a normal weapon(say arms trading or political manipulation in a low TL culture) attaching normal armor piercing bullets to the shaft should do. If it can deal with UT armor, it can probably deal with LT armor. The difference in velocity might be a problem, but it should still be a cheap alternative.

Tags
bow, ultra-tech