Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
CeeDub

Default Abstract Wealth and Independent Income

Salutations!

I kinda like the Alternate Wealth system (Pyramid #3/44), which unfortunately makes no provisions for the Independent Income advantage that I can find. So, I've been thinking about how to integrate the two.

Option 1: Calculate II as normal, and have all purchases per month up to this amount be automatic successes without penalty, then switch to wealth rolls as written.

Option 2: Apply II as a bonus to wealth rolls. Some conversion seems to be called for, starting each month with a +20 bonus to wealth rolls strikes me as excessive. Maybe +1 for every two or three levels of II?

Option 3: Apply II against cost of living to reduce the amount of time the character needs to work for his wealth, thus increasing adventure time. For example, Monty McMoneybags is Very Wealthy with II (10) at TL8, which amounts to $40K of "free money" per month. If he maintained a Status 4 lifestyle, he's $20K short - but with his job, which pays $2.6K x 20 = $56K, he'd be fine with a 15-hour work week. But with a Status 3 lifestyle, he'd have to spend only $12K of his II and never need to work; the excess could be used as in Option 1 or 2.

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by CeeDub; 10-09-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: fixed thread title
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Alternate Wealth and Independent Income

I'm sorry, I know thread necromancy is against forum etiquette everywhere, especially when one bumps one's own thread, but I think the question really has some merit - the abstract wealth system is very useful for campaigns where the PCs have significant downtime, regular jobs, and where their possessions are more than what they have in their coin purses and backpacks.

So I'm going to pretend that this thread hast just been overlooked. :) I would really appreciate some feedback. Pretty please?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Ternas

Default Re: Alternate Wealth and Independent Income

These are actually some interesting options you have there, though these would probably all depend on how you run the Independent Income.

1. This could potentially have some trouble depending on how wealthy the PC is and what their status is. For example, with a PC Very Wealthy with II 10, that'd leave you with 40k money that you could spend on most anything every month without really affecting your actual wealth. Say hello to being able to purchase new Luxury Cars every month and still have 10K leftover for a good amount of guns and ammo to strap onto it without any penalties.

2. This is the option that I would agree with. Maybe +1 for every 4 levels to give a grand total of +5 to rolls at II 20. This'd be fairly close to the rules for living below your means and would make sense.

3. This seems like the RAW rules for II mixed with how Alternate Wealth works. The only downside I can see to this is if you're running a very social campaign then your boss might be curious why you're suddenly missing 25 hours of work per month. But in any other situation, the only downside is actually keeping track of how much time you're spending at the office and if you're up to the bookkeeping, I don't seen any reason why this couldn't be done in conjunction with option 2.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abstract wealth, independent income, pyramid 3/44, wealth