Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: 1001 Planets [Space]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I am getting a distinct sense that these worlds were not all generated in strict compliance with the many, many, many, many detailed pages of star system creation rules in GURPS Space.

C'mon guys, they filled over a quarter of the book with rules to painstakingly generate realistic uninhabited ice balls and gas giants -- you could at least use them.
Hey I randomly generated Ereshkigal, Gilgamesh, and the Eresh and their whole binary system. It's just that the rest of it is pretty boring.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

This is almost strait from my game notes:

Borlo

Gravity: 0.9
Average Temp: -5
Hydrographics: 62%
Air Pressure: 1.06
Size: 0.81

Borlo is a cold world, the native life growing slowly on it. most human habitation was originally around the equator, in a belt of perpetually tropical not freezing. Farther north is dominated by glaciers and ice caps. While Borlo is almost 40% land, most of its life lives in the oceans. Borlo's atmosphere is almost perfect for earth life. gravity is a little lower and air pressure just a touch higher.

In a strange quirk, Borlo's seasons are quite close to those of earth -- in timing at least. The year is 364 earth days (one less than earth) and its day about 12 minutes longer than 24 hours, giving it 360 days in a year. The seasons are thankfully a touch less extreme than on earth, but due to reasonably high eccentric orbit there is a temperate side of the planet and a seasonal side of the planet. The original colony and capital is on the seasonal side.

Borlo has what seems to be a fully mature set of organisms with a long fossil history -- most of which is locked in ice.

One of the strangest creatures is the octopus ball-- a spherical core surrounded by six dozen (72) tentacles that can be formed into a variety of shapes. Some float through the ocean filter feeding, while others are vicious predators. The 'medusa's head' is a particularly fearless creature that grows up to 6 feet across.

Lower land life is dominated by worm-like forms with large manipulators just before their heads.

Higher land life generally has six limbs, an agile trunk, and a long tail. The skeleton is mostly internal but built as porous plates and tubes. Eggs are laid in a stash of food which is then slathered over with a hardening protective layering from organs near the mouth.

-------------------------------------------

In the campaign in which it was used, Borlo was the site of an alien colony, with its remnants now locked in ice and scattered over the planet. Artifacts from the aliens sold for large amounts. This could fit any role in a setting from being a source of well-established precursor artifacts to being the only planet with signs of alien existence.

Yes, it was generated with space. Or rather picked from a collection of worlds generated with space.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #13
Astromancer

Pollyhymnia

Earthlike Garden world.

G 1.04
Atm. Psi 16
Y 0.97 Std
D 1.1 Std

Pollyhymnia, named for the muse of sacred song, is a reasonably Earthlike world. There is a higher percentage of land to ocean than Earth, but only about four-fiths as much arable land. There are no fossil fuels known and useful ore deposits are vanishingly rare. The seasons are somewhat more intense than Earth's because of a thirty-two degree axil tilt. Still, the climate, if less comfortable, is manageable. If Pollyhymnia weren't so far off the main trade routes, it would have massive enthusiastic human settlement.

Instead, Pollyhymnia is a dumping ground for disruptive and criminally annoying religious and philosophical groups. These people fall between annoying but leave them in peace groups and clearly criminal groups. These people are neither raping and murdering their neighbors nor are they merely nuisances. These people are always disruptive trouble and constantly breach the civil liberties of their neighbors. Being exiled to Pollyhymnia is always a long process. Before a group is exiled to Pollyhymnia Civil Liberties groups always fight to make sure the merely obnoxious are never sent, only those that truely make the lives of their communities impossible but aren't a danger to themselves.

To put it mildly, no one wants to vacation on Pollyhymnia.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-22-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
AlexanderHowl

I'll'ha (Standard Garden World)

I'll'ha is the homeworld of the I'll'ha'ma, an exothermic species that bears a rather charming resemblance to the duck-billed platypus. Early in their history, their servitor robots, the I'll'to'fo, decided that they could handle things better than their creators and gently made their creator bio-trophies. As bio-trophies, the I'll'ha'ma live a life of extraordinary ease as their every need and every want is granted by the I'll'to'fo (generally resulting in the I'll'ha'ma being stoned out of their gourds while engaging in sexual orgies). On occasion, one of the I'll'ha'ma will actually be driven to do something, and the I'll'to'fo will indulge their requests because they are still geniuses (the average I'll'ha'ma possesses IQ+4 and Gadgeteer, so inventing is as natural to them as breathing, they just got bored with everything when they reached TL12 millions of years ago).

I'll'ha possesses a lower density but large radius than Earth, so it possesses equivalent gravity. It's primary is a F4 star, but I'll'ha is distant enough to have a Cool climate. The entire system is highly developed and dominates an interstellar polity with a radius of 50 ly that includes 1400 systems.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Astromancer

Poimandres

Poimandres was a deity of initiation. After it was discovered that the bizaar Piezoelectric properties of the local minerals made learning or improving psi-powers easier, e723-Wolf1246z 4 was renamed Poimandres. The star e723-Wolf1246z was renamed Trismegistus.

Poimandres is on the edge of being to cold and dry to be a Garden world. The planetary radius is 79% of Earth's. Not that far above the bare minimum to retain a molten core, a magnetosphere, and an atmosphere. Poimandres in many ways resembles a pulp fiction/space opera take on the planet Mars. No planet wide canal systems, ten legged lions, or naked princesses (well some people, mainly women, dress up as Dejah Thoris. Normally it isn't pretty).

The planet is mainly divided into New Age resorts where the rich go to become psions. Some of these are effective! And bases that study psi-powers.

The New Agers are tolerated as screens and distractions that create enough noise to hide the real research. There are also genuine spiritual seekers and mystics on the planet too. They tend to support themselves as staff at the New Age resorts. Yes, the wait staff is more likely to be composed of real mystics and psis than the Gurus.

Life on Poimandres can be surreal.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-22-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #16
PTTG

Barren, Small (Rock)
Trace atmosphere, 0% hydrographic coverage
Average surface temperature 236K, or -270f
Blackbody Temperature: 245K

Density: 0.7 Earth Densities (3.86 g/cc)
Diameter: 0.53 Earth Diameters, or 4250 miles (6840 km)
Surface Gravity: 0.371 G (3.6 m/s/s)
Mass: 0.104 Earth Masses

Atmospheric Pressure: Trace
Resources: Very Abundant (17 on the dice, I swear to god)
RVM +2, Habitability 0.

Outpost by fiat.
Population 25,000.
World Govenmnet; Caste-based society. No special conditions.
CR5 by fiat to fit a caste-based society living on a barren rock.
Per-capita income: G$21,000; Typical Wealth: Struggling.

Binary Star System
Old Population I Star System. 6.8 Billion years old.
Very Close Orbit, .15 AU radius. 0.5 Eccentricity, 0.075 to 0.225 AU separation.

Primary Mass: .45 Sols
Primary: M1 (3600K), Main Sequence. Luminosity 0.07.
Radius: 0.00316 Solar Radii

Secondary Mass: 0.1 Sols
Secondary: M7 (3100K), Main Sequence. Luminosity 0.0012.
Radius: 0.00055 Solar Radii

I = 0.045 AU
O = 18 AU
Snow Line = 1.28 AU

Going to skip a lot of this because it's now clear that anything within the snow line would get disrupted by the companion. Does anyone really want me to generate a couple dozen frozen rocks orbiting a pair of dim red stars?

As far as the settlements go, the planet is very much like a large Ganymede, making it pointless for most purposes. It might have some exotic ices represented by the high resources, but maybe new technology has advanced past the need for them, leaving the colony behind. Meanwhile, they were already out of date thanks to being a bit of a backwater, so today they mainly get by on exporting meager amounts of ices and metals and survive on nuclear fission using local radioactives.

Last edited by PTTG; 05-23-2019 at 06:44 PM.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
Daigoro

A planet write-up from one of the collaborative threads:

Spoiler:  
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
Astromancer

This world is form a Transhuman Space game set a few decades after the normal setting and with FTL drives.

Cyrenaica:

Named for the land of the Lotus eaters this planet is busily being terraformed. The simple fact that Cyrenaica is a far better candidate for terraforming than Mars ever was (there was open water when the planet was discovered) combined with the decades of improvements in both biotech and terraforming technology has made astounding progress on this world possible. But the atmosphere isn't breathable yet.

The planet was opened to settlement by people from the shores of the Indian Ocean (with the exception of Australia). And there is a local population of about ten million people. The terraformation engineers are from all around the Earth and the Solar System. Which is becoming a problem.

The newly opened university system, which is vital to training new terraformers and other technicians also have to please Earthbound political mandates. These mandates are set up to deal with Earth's political issues not Cyrenica's needs. Some of this is good. There are excellent opportunities to study the fine and performing arts, history, the human sciences and the Liberal Arts generally. But certain Earthly scholars aren't as useful .

The Majority cultures movement has become powerful here and obnoxious. Anti-Colonial Theory (Mainly Nietzsche and Adorno relabeled as Marx) dominates the local cultural scene. The local oligarchs promote this as a means to bog down any demands for democracy by labeling it "Westtoxification." Having the Universities shout out and riot for "Afro-Asian values" sustains the rule of the corperate elites very nicely indeed.

Large numbers of locals want to leave ASAP! The Terraformation engineers realize they can't educate their children here, if they got into a university, they'd simply be driven out. And they don't feel safe either. As the society becomes more repressive skilled people leave and the economy slows and fathers.

All of this would collapse the economy ruining the plans of both the oligarchs and the literati, so both groups oppose such flight. The local colonial authority hates the idea too. They've got nowhere to send the refugees without taking large shares of other people's worlds from them. The technicians can get jobs elsewhere, many worlds would snap them up. But if Cyrenica loses all her technicians and engineers the planet's terraformation would reverse and the life support systems and argricultural systems would collapse. Meanwhile, smugglers helping people flee are making good money.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-24-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #19
Astromancer

This world is form the same game as the one before, but it fits more settings.

Meroë:

Named for an ancient capital of Ethiopia, Meroë is mainly a mining planet. The local gravity is 0.89G. Which is odd in a body about the size of Mars. The sheer density of this high metal planet explains this.

Odder by far than the planet's density is its orbit, which is radically outside of the plane of the eliptic that the other planets of Meroë's system orbit in. Meroë seems to be a captured planet from a star system with a far higher metalic content than the stars in Sol's neighborhood.

There seem to be signs that humans weren't the first to mine this planet. If so, this mining world will attract scholars in droves. Everyone is looking for ancient alien ruins.

Careful what you look for. You might find it!

Ancora Imparo
Old 05-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
PTTG

Here's a thought: What sort of solar system would you get with cursed dice that always roll as high as possible? As low as possible?

Minimus:
Standard (Chthonian)
Trace vaporized metal atmosphere
0% hydrographic coverage; 0% lava seas.
Average temperature 530K

Maximus:
Large (Garden)
Marginal (Inert Gasses) atmosphere
100% hydrographic coverage.
Average temperature 340K

The general gist seems to be, "not very habitable at all."
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote