Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 AM   #1
Rohml

Default Blending Sets (non-Fantasy)

We've been playing Munchkin for weeks now and it's a blast. Especially now we've blended multiple Fantasy-based sets and some boosters.

Now I'm planning ahead and I'm thinking of building another blended deck but I want to try on sets that are not Fantasy-based (Sword & Sorcery style). So when we play I can ask whether we want to go Fantasy or go < theme of new blended deck >.

What two sets would you suggest (non-Fantasy) that would make a great play experience / mash-up theme / game mechanics implementation?

Also, I plan to put the cards on back-colored sleeves, so different backs won't be an issue for us.
Rohml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Colossus

Default Re: Blending Sets (non-Fantasy)

Up until this week, I had been playing with one huge blended deck of Pathfinder, Legends, most of the Fantasy expansions, and a bunch of boosters and custom cards. The four Pathfinder classes give you some great tools for messing with other players, which made them a great complement to the mostly-self-serving classes/races from Legends/Fantasy, and the four Pathfinder factions worked well as a third character attribute.
However, I recently picked up Steampunk, Wizard of Oz, and Nightmare Before Christmas (NBC), so I'm starting to experiment with a few new deck combinations:
Yesterday I separated my Pathfinder cards from my Legends/Fantasy deck and combined them with Steampunk. While Steampunk is a creative and beautifully-crafted standalone deck, it only comes with 4 classes, so the Pathfinder classes and factions should prove to be a nice supplement. Pathfinder has many Victorian-style items and the Alchemist class (not to mention a monster from the Pathfinder Gobsmacked expansion called the Cog Goblin), so it seems a natural fit for Steampunk.
Pathfinder also has a Witch class, so a Pathfinder/Wizard of Oz deck is another combination I plan on trying soon (there are only 4 classes in Oz as well, so it's also primed for blending).
I also blended NBC with Wizard of Oz to create a mashup of two iconic movie worlds. Instead of classes, NBC allows you to be a citizen of one of the 4 holiday towns, so it works well as a second attribute besides class. I also added all of my holiday booster packs to the NBC deck to make it a supercharged holiday deck.
These are just a few of the ideas I'm working with right now. I'll probably end up blending three sets together eventually (thinking about picking up Zombies soon and making some new combinations). Good luck!

Last edited by Colossus; 10-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Ghornet

Default Re: Blending Sets (non-Fantasy)

It's been a while but Bites and Zombie blended very well.
never got around to Super and Impossible but it seems like they would work well together.
Game Changers & Holiday Suprise
Ghornet is offline   Reply With Quote