Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Well, you wouldn't be playing a game that was confined to Homeline, so I suppose that most investigations will take place on various otherworlds. Your investigators are not going to have any genuine enforceable police powers in most of their investigations, they aren't going to be able to get or serve warrants, they aren't going to be able to call in patrol officers or SWAT, issue BOLOs, search databases, or identify fingerprints. They'll find it very difficult to take suspects in and question tem in interview rooms. And they will only be able to conduct routine police investigations (interviewing witnesses, canvassing neighbourhoods, sealing and examining crime scenes etc.) using fraudulent credentials. Which would be risky.

I guess they might be okay on worlds that don't have their own police. And as the examples of Vidocq and Henry Fielding show, a little method goes a long way when criminals aren't prepared for it.

But in most cases, the characters are going to be private non-citizens, with no authority, without even legal residency, nosing around crime-scenes and witnesses with no reasonable account of themselves and no explanation for where they got a stack of sophisticated investigating equipment.

It'll be nothing like NCIS. More like PIs or spies.
I suspect Temporal Inertial will allow one to avoid at least part of these problems. Especially when coupled with Ally (Local Double).
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
The Eye of Eclipse Phase. A Discord server focusing on Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, Transhumanism, and discussion of other assorted topics, from tech to boardgames, from politics to philosophy.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #12
aesir23
 
aesir23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Well, you wouldn't be playing a game that was confined to Homeline, so I suppose that most investigations will take place on various otherworlds. Your investigators are not going to have any genuine enforceable police powers in most of their investigations, they aren't going to be able to get or serve warrants, they aren't going to be able to call in patrol officers or SWAT, issue BOLOs, search databases, or identify fingerprints. They'll find it very difficult to take suspects in and question tem in interview rooms. And they will only be able to conduct routine police investigations (interviewing witnesses, canvassing neighbourhoods, sealing and examining crime scenes etc.) using fraudulent credentials. Which would be risky.

I guess they might be okay on worlds that don't have their own police. And as the examples of Vidocq and Henry Fielding show, a little method goes a long way when criminals aren't prepared for it.

But in most cases, the characters are going to be private non-citizens, with no authority, without even legal residency, nosing around crime-scenes and witnesses with no reasonable account of themselves and no explanation for where they got a stack of sophisticated investigating equipment.

It'll be nothing like NCIS. More like PIs or spies.
If they were on a world with a powerful White Star trading presence they might be set up with waterproof identities and hired out to Law Enforcement as consultants.

In answer to the OPs question, everyone could be a generalist in terms of surviving on foreign parallels (survival, combat skills, history, languages, etc...) with:
a specialist in Forensics and examining physical evidence,
a Medical Examiner type that may overlap with the forensic specialist and double as the team medic,
a Face man good at manipulating people and unobtrusively interviewing suspects,
an infiltrator who can use stealth to steal evidence from local authorities,
and a researcher who is good at getting information from computers, libraries, newspaper archives, and other public available information sources.

This is a wild example of an effective investigative team, the possible combinations are nearly limitless. I'd just sit the players down and say, let's work together on character creation, everyone should have a unique niche that will be useful in criminal investigations and everyone's niche should be different. See what they come up with and build your mysteries around their strengths. If someone has trouble coming up with something, make a suggestion from the list above.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Xenarthral
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxar View Post
I'm not talking about SWAT, I'm talking about ISWAT and the only relation they have to SWAT is that they're extremely capable. Just as you say at the end of your post, those people solve stuff that's baffling for TL8 experts. Detectives and forensic technicians won't turn up squat if for example Van Zandt's lifeless body were found in his bed without any signs of violence or other physical evidence because a Cabalist snatched away his soul.

That's what you call ISWAT in for.
I was pondering which term to use, as regardless of which non-investigative
group it would likely be met by "ISWAT is not X".
And it IS short for Interworld Special Weapons and Tactics.

You don't call in ISWAT because Homeline science finds no traces, evidence
or explanations (if you did, what do you use the rest of Infinity for?) - unless
you assume that only ISWAT gets psychics, mages and outtimers with
interesting skills. (Infinite Worlds is unclear on the issue, but since it appears
to be the normal I-cops and scouts who normally handle cabalists, zombie
plagues and whatever banestorms and gates dump on worlds where Nexus
Oversight hang around it seems reasonable to assume that they have other
options than immediately calling in ISWAT when magic or psionics show up, or
when science doesn't.)
You don't call in ISWAT because some cabalist soul jar-ed someone - that's
business as usual even though it's possible that all the mages capable of
easily fixing that are in ISWAT (so you call them in at that point).
You call in ISWAT when hostage rescues means giving a Great Old One an
unasked-for astral stomach-pumping. And at that point it is no longer an
investigation.

Of course, I tend to start with the assumptions that "Infinity personnel as a
whole is extremely capable" and that ISWAT, being even more capable, deal
with toppling Dark Lords, stopping full-scale parachronic invasions, putting
Elder Gods back to sleep and similar Crises.
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Nymdok
 
Nymdok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

For Charachterization, I love this link

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CastCalculus

Im not too familiar with infinite worlds, but What you'll need could largely be filled by the Archetypes laid out in ACTION 1.

I would suggest

Wire Rat/Hacker (digs in and pulls out data)
Faceman/Investigator (Talks to people and gets data)
Shooter (Or melee Heavy)/Demolitions (Kills people and blows stuff up)

For a 3 person group.

from there you could divide the duties or add

Wheelman/Medic
Assasin/Cleaner

Doing a direct mapping from the show is different as they often display whatever skills and knowledge the writers need for that episode.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Qoltar
Pike's Pique
 
Qoltar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A.
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Nymdok,

My player group will be 4 to 5 players.
Three women and one guy.


- Ed
__________________
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me....


A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
Nymdok
 
Nymdok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Nymdok,

My player group will be 4 to 5 players.
Three women and one guy.


- Ed
There are plenty of female and male examples of these in tv/movies as they stand.

Females
Hacker/Wire Rat - The blond lady from criminal Minds
Faceman/Investigator - The blond from CSI Miami
Medic/Investigator - Khandi Alexander from CSI Miami (Cant remember her characters name) or that Red HEad from the X-Files.

I must admit that I only catch the shows peripherally while Wyfdok watches them so Im sure Im missing alot.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Exxar
MIB
 
Exxar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenarthral View Post
I was pondering which term to use, as regardless of which non-investigative
group it would likely be met by "ISWAT is not X".
And it IS short for Interworld Special Weapons and Tactics.

You don't call in ISWAT because Homeline science finds no traces, evidence
or explanations (if you did, what do you use the rest of Infinity for?) - unless
you assume that only ISWAT gets psychics, mages and outtimers with
interesting skills. (Infinite Worlds is unclear on the issue, but since it appears
to be the normal I-cops and scouts who normally handle cabalists, zombie
plagues and whatever banestorms and gates dump on worlds where Nexus
Oversight hang around it seems reasonable to assume that they have other
options than immediately calling in ISWAT when magic or psionics show up, or
when science doesn't.)
You don't call in ISWAT because some cabalist soul jar-ed someone - that's
business as usual even though it's possible that all the mages capable of
easily fixing that are in ISWAT (so you call them in at that point).
You call in ISWAT when hostage rescues means giving a Great Old One an
unasked-for astral stomach-pumping. And at that point it is no longer an
investigation.

Of course, I tend to start with the assumptions that "Infinity personnel as a
whole is extremely capable" and that ISWAT, being even more capable, deal
with toppling Dark Lords, stopping full-scale parachronic invasions, putting
Elder Gods back to sleep and similar Crises.
You have a point there. I had a bit too mundane image of standard Infinity agents while thinking about this.


Qoltar, here's another possibility:

investigator/cleaner
faceman/infiltrator
fighter/wheelman
techie/scientist
occultist/medic
Exxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
Captain-Captain
 
Captain-Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxar View Post
I'm not talking about SWAT, I'm talking about ISWAT and the only relation they have to SWAT is that they're extremely capable. Just as you say at the end of your post, those people solve stuff that's baffling for TL8 experts. Detectives and forensic technicians won't turn up squat if for example Van Zandt's lifeless body were found in his bed without any signs of violence or other physical evidence because a Cabalist snatched away his soul.

That's what you call ISWAT in for.
Even then you'd have the investigation team operative and largely in the lead except for assaults on the Cabal cell responsible.
__________________
...().0...0()
.../..........\
-/......O.....\-
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I suspect Temporal Inertial will allow one to avoid at least part of these problems. Especially when coupled with Ally (Local Double).
That gets them the ability to function as police detectives on maybe one alternate. Which is hardly playing Infinite Worlds, is it?
__________________
copyright Brett Evill
FLAT BLACK discussion group at tekeli.li
On-line texts at flatblack.wikidot.com
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
Captain-Captain
 
Captain-Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Be afraid: Iswat Homicide is led by Inspector John (Hanibal) Smith...
__________________
...().0...0()
.../..........\
-/......O.....\-
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infinite worlds

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.