Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default [IW] Analogous TV shows or Book Series, Capsule or Snapshot descriptions...

As I've been mentioning - I'm about to start an INFINITE WORLDS campaign....

Can any of you folks on here think of a TV series that a typical IW campaign might be similiar to in style?

The closest TV show I could thin k of is maybe "STARGATE: ATLANTIS". If you think of the Puddle-Jumpers as being like the conveyers of IW and their launch through the Stagate as the 'launch' or projection of the typical conveyer - then thats a pretty good handle on whats happening. The maiun differencve is that instead of different worlds the player characters are going to different timelines.

Are there other, better ways to briefly descibe Infinite Worlds situations to players who are new to it all?

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
knarf

Default Re: [IW] Analogous TV shows or Book Series, Capsule or Snapshot descriptions...

Sliders was the show that did this extensively. The shoe itself is probably more useful for a swagmen campaign. If you want to go more ISWAT, I'd go either Stargate or Mission Impossible.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: [IW] Analogous TV shows or Book Series, Capsule or Snapshot descriptions...

If you take the concept of Sliders, but added the structure of Atlantis's expedition teams, then you're very close to Infinite Worlds.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Polydamas

Its probably obvious, but Infinite Worlds is strongly influenced by H. Beam Piper's Paratime setting. I'd expect gamers who are SF fans to have read the original stories (especially now that Project Gutenberg and www.bookfinder.com make finding a copy so easy). But I don't know your players ... maybe one of the Stargate TV serieses would be more recognizable.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds