Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
L.J.Steele

Default Stargate RPG coming this summer

Interview with some of the creative folks

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...B4Ec5-pA69tyj4
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Stargate RPG coming this summer

I wonder if there is any reason for the timing of this. Is Stargate making a comeback anytime soon?

The miniature Stargate is adorable.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I thought I had that, specific, model for 3d-printing, but I can't find it. And it's not on Thingiverse anymore, if it ever was. That said, there are plenty of stargates on Thingiverse, so it wouldn't be difficult to make one.

I mean, this bookend set (link to Thinigverse, to show a 3d-printable set of stargates) would be an ideal set piece for any Stargate game.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
ak_aramis

Built off the 5E SRD. Hard pass for me.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Built off the 5E SRD. Hard pass for me.
Probably not a strong choice for a setting with so many guns. There are few systems that do guns as well as Gurps and it's not as though Gurps is perfect for modern combat it's just that the alternatives are generally quite poor.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I wonder if there is any reason for the timing of this. Is Stargate making a comeback anytime soon?
Comeback? I seriously doubt it. The license being cheap & tapping into 5E? I do think so...
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Probably not a strong choice for a setting with so many guns. There are few systems that do guns as well as Gurps and it's not as though Gurps is perfect for modern combat it's just that the alternatives are generally quite poor.
Nailed half my reasons right there...
The other is the 5E skill system ... I can tolerate it for fantasy....
But only 3 levels? nope.

(3 levels: unskilled, proficient, doubled proficiency)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
Kallatari

Personally, I'll take a wait and see approach.

While I'm not fan of d20, the D20 core mechanics aren't bad, and there are enough variations in the rules that some D20 games are pretty good. D&D (of all editions) generally bugged me because of how Hit Points worked (and how that then trickled into many combat rules), but various d20 games (3E) more or less addressed this issue with options such as splitting them into Vitality and Wounds (e.g., d20 Star Wars or the previous d20 Stargate SG-1 by AEG) or Toughness Saves (e.g., True20 or Mutants and Masterminds; these two are the only d20 rule sets I'd consider running if I couldn't get a GURPS game going).

I agree, the treatment of guns are usually weak in d20 games, but it depends on exactly how they work. For example, some had OK burst fire rules, others were really bad (e.g., add +1 to damage...). The previous Stargate SG-1 used the d20 Spycraft rules for gear and firearms, which were one of the better ones out there. It still had its flaws, but for d20 was good.

As to skills, they can also easily change them to match how 3E worked. Although at that point, I'm not sure I'd say the game is based on 5E where one of the core concepts seems to be that you have the same bonus to everything you can do, which is determined based on your level.

So, all in all, depends on how much they adhere exactly to D&D 5E or how many variants they will use for their own specific game. I do fear they'll probably stick closely to 5E, so odds are I won't particularly like the rules either.

But then again, I usually buy other RPG games solely for the "setting" information, which I adapt (as opposed to convert) to GURPS for actual play anyway. I'll actually be more interested in how much the setting information in the new Stargate RPG differs and improves from what was already in the AEG Stargate RPG, as for me, that will determine whether it's worth purchasing or not. From what I've heard so far, I'm guessing not much.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Nailed half my reasons right there...
The other is the 5E skill system ... I can tolerate it for fantasy....
But only 3 levels? nope.

(3 levels: unskilled, proficient, doubled proficiency)
To be fair, my experience with 3.5E was that characters either lacked points in a skill and was thus useless with it for level-appropriate uses, had a few points in it and was thus useless in it for level-appropriate uses, or had maxed it out for their current level and thus could make effective use of it. Thus is the problem with level-based systems - there's very little range between "useless" and "expert" when everything you might use the skill for increases in difficulty as you increase in level. Having the sneaking abilities of a sneaky level 5 character is useless when you are level 10, and need to deal with the detection abilities of enemies designed to face level 10 characters. I remember reading 4E's treatment (which IIRC was to have all characters improve with all skills, and gave a +4 bonus for skills with which you had purchased proficiency) and feeling it was a step in the right direction, although I never played more than a couple of sessions (and didn't even really play those, being the DM). I haven't played any 5E to know if its treatment is better or worse.

It also occurs to me that d20's abstract HP system might work a bit better for something like SG-1, as playing such in GURPS means a single failed Dodge roll against a staff weapon has a rather high chance of killing you outright. Players who want to behave similarly to the characters of the various Stargate shows would benefit quite a bit from the sort of plot armor d20's HP system works as. Granted, were I playing a Stargate campaign, I'd be more strongly inclined toward GURPS than d20, but I think the latter could still work. I certainly remember the Star Wars: Revised Core Rulebook d20 rules at least read like they'd work well for portraying what was seen on the screen (never actually had a chance to play any games in that, unfortunately).