Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Praxian

Default GCA General Font Size

Is there a way to increase the font size?

I've searched and maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any way to increase the font size in the core program, only on printing characters..

Thanks!
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GCA General Font Size

There really isn't, not that I'm aware. GCA is, unfortunately, a bit archaic in this respect. It by and large uses a lot of the old default assumptions of the Windows operating system, and font size of most program elements are set by the OS.

If you're on a Windows computer you can increase the text size of all programs by changing the Font scaling. I think this varied in placement depending on which version of Windows you're using, but in Windows 10 simply right-click on an open area of the desktop and select Display Settings. Go down to the Scale and Layout, and "Change the size of text..." from the default 100% up to 125% or larger.

In older versions of Windows I remember this requiring you to log off or reboot of the system, but in Windows 10 you can change it to use GCA then change it back when you're done without having to log off. Windows 10 also allows you to change it on a per-monitor basis if you have more than one monitor hooked up.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-14-2020 at 05:15 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
Praxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
There really isn't, not that I'm aware. GCA is, unfortunately, a bit archaic in this respect. It by and large uses a lot of the old default assumptions of the Windows operating system, and font size of most program elements are set by the OS.

If you're on a Windows computer you can increase the text size of all programs by changing the Font scaling. I think this varied in placement depending on which version of Windows you're using, but in Windows 10 simply right-click on an open area of the desktop and select Display Settings. Go down to the Scale and Layout, and "Change the size of text..." from the default 100% up to 125% or larger.

In older versions of Windows I remember this requiring you to log off or reboot of the system, but in Windows 10 you can change it to use GCA then change it back when you're done without having to log off. Windows 10 also allows you to change it on a per-monitor basis if you have more than one monitor hooked up.
Got 'cha... I typically don't do that because it messes up my video games when I play... and I always forget to edit it back. =\

Thanks for letting me know. :)
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

(It doesn't help you now at all, and I'm sorry about that, but GCA5 supports two larger font size options for the UI, so that will be there for you when we finally get something out to the public.)
Old 02-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
Angel Darkover

Is there a point where a broader-audience beta might be considered? I (and many others) would even be open to tieing it to preorders - something that is often done in the video game industry. A bigger beta tester group would provide more feedback on issues that may otherwise go undiscovered, as different people have a wider array of needs or methods of usage.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Darkover View Post
Is there a point where a broader-audience beta might be considered? I (and many others) would even be open to tieing it to preorders - something that is often done in the video game industry. A bigger beta tester group would provide more feedback on issues that may otherwise go undiscovered, as different people have a wider array of needs or methods of usage.
Yes, that is part of my plan. However, I'm not quite yet to the point where I go to the corporate overlords and discuss how we might approach it.