Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #31
TippetsTX

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Not what I was expecting. You're just revising the Staff spells and their XP costs. I'm...uh...speechless...
Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted something to use as baseline to help develop other Powers and the Staff spells seemed like a good candidate.

I also prefer this kind of implementation for wizard staves. They never really fit as spells for me, but I still wanted to use the concept.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-10-2018 at 10:52 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So starting wizards bite in combat or what?
Why would that be the case? It's not like Staff spell is the wizard’s only option.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #33
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Why would that be the case? It's not like Staff spell is the wizard’s only option.
Yes, it is.

Page 142: "A staff does not impede his gesturing; anything else does."
Old 12-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #34
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Yes, it is.

Page 142: "A staff does not impede his gesturing; anything else does."
OK, but they have plenty of other offensive spells to pick from. Even in the old rules, the Staff spell was never a 'must have'.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #35
platimus

Quote:
Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted something to use as baseline to help develop other Powers and the Staff spells seemed like a good candidate.

I also prefer this kind of implementation for wizard staves. They never really fit as spells for me, but I still wanted to use the concept.
Whatever floats your boat. I'll say this: I briefly engaged in a what-if exercise the other day but quickly dismissed the idea. Your work here entices me to give that idea some more thought. The idea? Remove all IQ requirements for talents and spells. How? It goes a little sumthin' like this...(gimme a beat! LOL)

1. List Talents and Spells by their Point Cost. I.e. list all (1) talents together; all (2) talents together, etc.
2. Modify the Point Cost by the old IQ req. I.e. Climbing(2) [1+(IQ9-IQ8)]
3. Each point costs 500XP but Heroes pay half-cost for talents. Wizards pay half-cost for spells

Is it a good idea? Probably not, but I'm going to obsessively think about it more now. Thanks a lot! LOL
Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #36
TippetsTX

Quote:
Is it a good idea? Probably not, but I'm going to obsessively think about it more now. Thanks a lot! LOL
You bet! Glad I could help.
;)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #37
platimus

Quote:
You bet! Glad I could help.
;)
Which reminds me...

Doesn't your "Staff of Power" de-value IQ and replace it with an XP-based system? ;)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #38
TippetsTX

Quote:
Which reminds me...

Doesn't your "Staff of Power" de-value IQ and replace it with an XP-based system? ;)
A valid question given my recent rants on the topic... short answer, I don't think so. For me, the wizard staff idea always seemed better suited to XP. Spells should be something you can cast more than once and that's what a wizard’s IQ should really be reserved for. The precedent for using XP to empower a specialized magic item was already established so all I did (I think) was take it a little further in order to more accurately reflect the 'flavor' of this most iconic element of magecraft.

The proof, however, will be dependent on getting the idea into some actual playtesting.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #39
platimus

Oh. I thought you had some other 'powers' planned also.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #40
TippetsTX

Quote:
Oh. I thought you had some other 'powers' planned also.
I do. Just testing the waters with the 'staff' portfolio first.