Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Snail Shell

Default Problems with the help

1) Can a Hireling with a Class have a Race added on to it and vice versa? (ie: I have a Warrior Hireling. Can I play a Dwarf Race card from my hand to make my Hireling a Dwarf Warrior?)

2) The Class/Race of a Hireling affects battle bonuses of Monsters, but does it count for other stuff? (ie: Can I use Yuppie Water to help someone with an Elf Hireling? What about Divine Intervention on someone with a Cleric Hireling?)

3) Can non-Race/Class Hirelings (Torchbearer, Psychic, etc.) still carry one item?

SS

-John Linnell
Snail Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Problems with the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail Shell View Post
1) Can a Hireling with a Class have a Race added on to it and vice versa? (ie: I have a Warrior Hireling. Can I play a Dwarf Race card from my hand to make my Hireling a Dwarf Warrior?)
No, you can only play a race/class on yourself.

Quote:
2) The Class/Race of a Hireling affects battle bonuses of Monsters, but does it count for other stuff? (ie: Can I use Yuppie Water to help someone with an Elf Hireling? What about Divine Intervention on someone with a Cleric Hireling?)
I'd be inclined to say yes for the yuppie water. But divine intervention makes clerics go up a level, hirelings don't have a level so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
3) Can non-Race/Class Hirelings (Torchbearer, Psychic, etc.) still carry one item?
Hirelings can do what it says on the card. So if they can carry something, they'll say so. I don't have those specific cards in front of me to answer more firmly, but the item carrying ability is part of the card text, not the generic hireling rules (which simply specify you can discard them to successfully run away).
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Clipper

I'd agree with Stormcrow on all of these. I don't believe the Yuppie Water question has been officially ruled upon as of yet, but the others have. As the Elf Hireling counts as having an Elf in the fight for monster bonuses, I have to assume the same occurs with Yuppie Water.

The rules do discuss that only some Hirelings can carry Items:
Quote:
Some Hirelings give you extra Hands, or let you carry an extra Big or Complex item. In this case, the Hireling does not actually have any items . . . he merely increases your own abilities. If something happens to the Hireling, your items are not affected.
Other Hirelings, like the El=The Need for Steed Rulesf Hireling from this set, can specifically carry and use an Item themselves; in some cases, a Hireling can use an item you cannot use for yourself. The items a Hireling carries count for you and are affected by Traps, Curses, and Bad Stuff as though you were carrying them yourself.
Looking through the Fantasy set, it does happen that all the Race/Class Hirelings do carry an Item for you and none of the others do... although the original Hireling from Munchkin and Clerical Errors do allow you to carry and use an extra Item, which would be covered by the first type of Hireling in the quote above.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Snail Shell

Gotcha. Thanks!

SS

-John Linnell
Snail Shell is offline   Reply With Quote