Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #81
Jeffr0

Default Re: 6e Car Wars, what do you want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Front page, $700K stretch goal.
kjamma, you are super helpful; thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #82
Aahz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Front page, $700K stretch goal.
Ha! Never thought to look there. I went straight to the comments section. Thanks!
Aahz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #83
Jeffr0

One more tidbit:

I know that SJG stated that they will make the CAR WARS game fit inside of a US Post Office flat rate box-- or something to that effect.

Does anyone know where that is specified?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #84
Jeffr0

Okay... I tried to summarize the story so far here.

If you know any CAR WARS fans that want the gory details without wading through all the Kickstarter updates... please send them my way! ;)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #85
Chris Goodwin

I previously posted my wishlist, several years ago. Below is my current wishlist, in no particular order:

Rewrite the rules from scratch. There's no need to keep trying to reconcile 30 year old game design with 25 year old game design with 20 year old game design with 15 year old game design...

Make it a generic auto combat and vehicle design system. Don't tie the ruleset to any particular setting.

Roleplaying rules. Make it easy to play characters. (I once tried to design Cart Wars, basically retheming Car Wars for chariots and stagecoaches. The further I took it, the more it looked like GURPS. That's not surprising given who designed both games.) That doesn't mean we have to force it to be GURPS Vehicle Combat, but it's nice to keep the notion in mind during design.

Alternate universes. Classic. Updated classic (if we keep the conceit of the current year plus 50, that means there's 80 years of 80's bugaboos in the timeline that make me cringe every time I see them). Also: Zombies and autoduelling were meant to go together. Superpowers and autoduel (mutants, anyone? Alkahest?) Magic and autoduel is also fun. Include a section on Here's How You Design An Autoduel Setting (maybe part of the roleplaying section). If this is too much, at least Classic and Here's How &c. Also, zombies. And supers.

Or, as someone mentioned, eras: Chassis and Crossbow. 2030's. Current year plus 50. Apocalypse When? (choose a year, apocalyze* it, and go from there.)

No arms race. No alphabet soup weapon upgrades. Though most weapons might come in light, medium/standard, and heavy versions, and there might be a few special ammunition types. Some way of tracking tech level would be nice (if only such a thing existed in the greater universe of gaming...)

Scale. A way to play at any particular scale. I like the notion of X increments per 15', X phases per turn, move one increment per 10mph per phase, but only if it could be done without making it too complicated.

A way to dial ram effectiveness down (or up, but for me mostly down). This would let the people who love ram cars and speed and races play their game, and let the rest of us have our cars trying to shoot one another. Failing that, more emphasis on shooting than ramming.

* Yay neologisms!

--
Chris Goodwin
cgoodwin (at) gmail (dot) com
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #86
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
One more tidbit:

I know that SJG stated that they will make the CAR WARS game fit inside of a US Post Office flat rate box-- or something to that effect.

Does anyone know where that is specified?
I haven't seen it, but it's an excellent idea. Then our friends overseas could much more easily get in the game. And it makes sense domestically, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
I previously posted my wishlist, several years ago. Below is my current wishlist, in no particular order:

Rewrite the rules from scratch. There's no need to keep trying to reconcile 30 year old game design with 25 year old game design with 20 year old game design with 15 year old game design...

*snippity*
I like your agenda, Chris, especially rewriting the rules/redesigning the system afresh. I want Steve and crew (and the rest of us) to focus on a fun, playable game, and we can all just cheerfully ignore the old versions.

Last edited by Buzzardo; 05-07-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: way over-quoted Chris's message
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #87
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongolHorde View Post
I rather like this idea. I was (when I first skimmed this topic) thinking of suggesting they go with a "standard" scale, such as HO or N (which comes fairly close to the old 15ft = 1in scale) but reading your post and thinking about it, sticking with something that can be played on standard graph paper is handy.
Switching to generic "MUs" would make it easier for people to use whatever scale they want (Hot Wheels, 1:72 model kits, Z scale train parts, 1:1 real car duels in the school parking lot {although doing a roll is going to be tough on the car and the players}, custom size Lego cars on the living room floor, etc)

So yeah, I like the idea of a "generic" scale system.
I like, to an extent, but..."MU" is unwieldy. How about the real-world term of "car lengths"? Instantly recognizable, it already includes a certain amount of "fudge factor", and it's simple to explain.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #88
TekChef

What I would love to see:

-Sticking with Cars, Bikes/Trikes and Semis. Okay..maybe small Hovercraft. Keep the Choppers, Tanks, Boats, etc out of the game except for special moments like big, climatic battles.

-A refined 10 Phase movement chart. I had the Deluxe Edition from the 80s(Blue box) and did not mind the 10 phase movement, bit it did need some refinement and tweeks. I like the idea that all this momvement/shooting is happening at the same time. It is really not all that complicated.

-Keep the Source Material/Backround as is. I liked the dystopian type future the game presented as it was gritty and not too unbelieveable. A few tweeks could be done, but I rather like it.

-Have some sort of Campaign rules for Characters in the game. Have a skill set you can develop to become a better Driver/Rider, Gunner, etc. Not a full RPG type thing though, as you can leave the hard RPG aspect to GURPS. Maybe have a way to translate the skills from GURPS and back? And, of course, a new edition of GURPS Autoduel to go with the new Car Wars.

-Have a chart with many scales for the minis/counters so people can keep it small or take it to Hot Wheels size. Maybe make the game based on a counter scale, then release a book focused just on Minis?
TekChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #89
swordtart

I want the moon on a stick.

I'll meet you halfway, I'll provide the stick.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #90
Chris Goodwin

Oh, I almost forgot.

Vehicle Types: Here's what I want to play: cars, bikes, rigs, and choppers. What I think the game should support, if possible, is just about everything, because I can always ignore the stuff I don't want to play with. The majority of support materials for the game should cover the basics.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote