Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Infinite Worlds] The World-Jumping Super-Anarchist

I'm trying to think of how to create a character for an Infinite Worlds game with explicitly superhuman abilities that make her very, very good at evading governments on any worldline she visits.

Part of the idea is that, wherever she goes, she has an intuitive sense for "how things work there" that lets her get along in the strange new place.

My first instinct is to just use the more flexible advantages GURPS offers: Luck, Serendipity, Wild Talent, Danger Sense, and Intuition. But I'm curious to see if anyone can improve on that.

Payload (Extradimensional) could be very useful for smuggling, theft, escaping custody, etc.

I'm also wondering if some form of Gadgeteer is appropriate: the point would be to make her a lot better at things like forgery, computer crime, and mixing drugs and explosives. But Gadgeteer as written does a lot more than that.

I'm thinking of taking Gadgeteer with some kind of limitation: maybe one where she does need to have a source of tools and materials that could conceivably do the job, it's just she's vastly better at finding said source than most people.

Other thoughts?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] The World-Jumping Super-Anarchist

I once posted a jumper character similiar to this idea on the forums once. She was loosely based on the main character of the movie "Run, Lola Run".

The idea was that she jumped timelines when she got up to a high speed while running.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Add Zeroed (Cosmic +300%). Anyone you meed forgets you after you stop being relevant. No written record of your stay remains. In fact, no proof of your existence exists, beyond yourself.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I'm trying to think of how to create a character for an Infinite Worlds game with explicitly superhuman abilities that make her very, very good at evading governments on any worldline she visits.

Part of the idea is that, wherever she goes, she has an intuitive sense for "how things work there" that lets her get along in the strange new place.
Isn't there a Social Chameleon advantage? I'm posting from the library so I don't have my books handy.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

@Kuroshima: Oooh, I like. I had thought of using zeroed, but wasn't sure the point--a newcomer to a worldline will start out effectively zeroed. That variant works very well, though.

@David: Yes, but I think Social Chameleon is strictly for dealing with the upper class, not keeping out of trouble with the police. Not quite the style I had in mind.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
David Johnston2

The value of actual zeroed is that it destroys records of your actions. It can be handy if Infinity and Centrum agents can't identify her since they'll be the people who would otherwise be most likely to respond to seeing her anywhere they are operating. I wouldn't recommend using the super cosmic Zeroed because it's awkward to tell players that they have to forget what they were just doing with no resistance.

The advantage I was trying to think of was of course Cultural Adaptability.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
@David: Yes, but I think Social Chameleon is strictly for dealing with the upper class, not keeping out of trouble with the police. Not quite the style I had in mind.
Not just the upper classes. As I remember it, you know what to do to get along with anyone from any culture. (Then again, I'm away from my books at the moment, so I could be mistaken.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 11-23-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Gumby Bush

What about Cultural or, more likely, Xeno-Adaptability for familiarity with the cultures of the places you go?
Gumby Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Michael Thayne

@Rocket Man: I just checked, and Social Chameleon is for "social betters" and "those who demand respect." Cultural Adaptability is good, though.

@David: As I'm reading zeroed, the main effect is that at the beginning of the game the authorities don't know you exist. It says nothing about destroying records. It does say, though, that you're to a degree protected against divination, and that if the authorities discover you they will initially assume there's been an error.

I like Kuroshima's suggested wording of the cosmic version, particularly the "after you stop being relevant" part. If the PCs have a significant encounter with her, she's not going to stop being relevant. However, if they're in a situation where they might run into her without realizing who she is, that's what secret rolls are for (to see if she makes enough of an impression that she won't "stop being relevant.")

As for Gadgeteering, how's this limitation for Quick Gadgeteer sound?: "requires a source of parts/materials that could conceivably do the job, -30%" (This is an mainly an NPC concept, so points don't matter so much, but it would be nice to figure out how it would work if a PC wanted an equivalent ability.)
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:

@David: As I'm reading zeroed, the main effect is that at the beginning of the game the authorities don't know you exist.
Nope. The advantage does need a rewrite. But the idea behind it is that, provided you don't do stuff like applying for a social security number, you are anonymous and will remain anonymous.