Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
A Ladder

Default [Sorcery] Lend Energy

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble building Lend Energy as a Sorcery spell (IE as a power built on advantages). The spell would take your FP and give it to your target at a 1 to 1 exchange.

Does this work?:
Leech (FP only -20%; Sorcery -15%; Accelerated +25%; Feature: Reversed +0%)

Essentially the Feature: Reversed +0% just turns the advantage around. Instead of draining your target's FP, you drain your own and give it to your target. Or should the Reversed effect be treated as Cosmic +50%?

How else would you build Lend Energy? some form of Healing? Healing (Cosmic: Heals FP instead of HP +50%; FP transfer rate is 1:1 instead of 1:2 -20%) ?
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Sorcery] Lend Energy

Looking at it, it appears to be:

Affliction (Advantage: Extra FP/ER X (Variable); Costs X FP/ER (Variable)), with X being the maximum number of FP to be passed. Variable is used here to indicate that the caster does not need to toss the maximum amount.

It'll be a bit pricey, I think, but the caster only needs to buy 1 level of Affliction, because who in their right mind would want to resist it?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
How else would you build Lend Energy? some form of Healing? Healing (Cosmic: Heals FP instead of HP +50%; FP transfer rate is 1:1 instead of 1:2 -20%) ?
I would agree with using Healing,
Healing (FP Only, -20% ; Rate of 1:1 instead of 1:2, -20%, Reliable 4, +20%) [24] I argue FP Only is -20% because FP instead of HP is normally -0% and HP only is -20%.

EDIT: Actually: Healing(FP Only, -20% ; Empathic, -50% ; Reliable 6 +30%) [18] would be more accurate to what you want, I think.

Last edited by Lia Valenth; 08-14-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Checked Powers book
Lia Valenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
EDIT: Actually: Healing(FP Only, -20% ; Empathic, -50% ; Reliable 6 +30%) [18] would be more accurate to what you want, I think.
Oh man! Empathic is perfect. How did I miss that?

Why do you have the Reliable 6? Just so that the caster can Lend Energy more often?
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Oh man! Empathic is perfect. How did I miss that?

Why do you have the Reliable 6? Just so that the caster can Lend Energy more often?
Partly, yes. I dislike the -2/use in the day, so I add reliable almost always to it. Although I forgot Sorcery, -15% and it should probably be usable on more than just humans (All Earth Life, +40%?) depending on the campaign.

Healing (All Earth Life, +40% ; Reliable 6, +30% ; Empathic, -50% ; FP Only, -20% ; Sorcery, -15%) [26]

Rather Empathic should be allowed, or if FP Only should be -0% instead of -20%, is up to you as GM though.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Rather Empathic should be allowed, or if FP Only should be -0% instead of -20%, is up to you as GM though.
My inclination is -0%, as Regeneration and Leech consider it a -0% limitation to work on FP instead of HP. Create and Destroy are -0% too.

Incidentally, it being a Limitation rather than an Enhancement is important mechanically even if it's 0% - an Enhancement can be turned on and off with the use of +10% Selective, a Limitation cannot. These -0% limitations are usually contrasted with a +100% or +50% Enhancement to do both, which would be stupid to take if you could just toggle it on and off with a +10% Selective.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
PK

I'm not sure if this one's been canonized (I seem to recall it being in a DF book or article somewhere), but we've supported "FP Only" as a -0% limitation on Healing. It lets you spend FP to "heal" someone's FP, at a 1:1 ratio.

Similarly, you can use "Cosmic, No cumulative penalty" (+50%) to remove the mounting -3 for repeated healing. As with any use of Cosmic, the GM should carefully consider whether to allow this as it can be rather unbalanced. (It's fairly priced, though, as it's the same as Reliable +10 -- which not only offsets the penalty for the first four rolls per person per day, but also gives a bonus to them.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
It'll be a bit pricey, I think, but the caster only needs to buy 1 level of Affliction, because who in their right mind would want to resist it?
It doesn't work that way. This is called a beneficial affiliation and instead of resisting at HT-level you roll HT+level where the MoS effects duration.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
LIt'll be a bit pricey, I think, but the caster only needs to buy 1 level of Affliction, because who in their right mind would want to resist it?
Most afflictions don't give you the option to waive the resistance roll. Particularly not those targeting HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
It doesn't work that way. This is called a beneficial affiliation and instead of resisting at HT-level you roll HT+level where the MoS effects duration.
This was a sidebar in Powers to fix one of the underlying problems with the above: High HT made it a lot harder to receive buffs. So the solution was to rule that for beneficial afflictions the HT roll is to receive the benefits instead.

This isn't how it works if you don't know about that optional rule. Such as if you only have the Basic Set to work from.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #10
Phantasm

Right, I was going by the Basic Set, not the optional (but totally sensible) rule from Powers.

Forgot that you couldn't waive the resistance, though; been slogging through mental resistances rather than physical lately, where it is possible to not resist with Will....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fp only, lend energy, sorcery