Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2023, 08:28 PM   #521
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
How can we expect these options to compare to other polities?
My current intention is that the results will help to inform roughly how powerful a minor System Lord is, on average.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:10 PM   #522
TGLS

Well then 2 or 3
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:58 AM   #523
Varyon

I'll throw in my vote for #2.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:51 AM   #524
Prince Charon

I'm seeing a pretty clear trend toward 2, but the poll remains open for now, just in case... and because continuing RL issues mean that I don't have the next Question ready, yet. Currently thinking that it'll be another essay-ish one, as that's easier for me, and the one after that will either be on whose idea to go with, or how to integrate two or more workable ideas.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 AM   #525
Prince Charon

Frolechi Question VI

This is going to be another question with answers in a short-essay format:

Describe the composition of the Frolechi space forces.

Please remember, you're talking about a peer opponent of minor Goa'Uld System Lords.

Answer: .

-- Tacitus

Old 03-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #526
adm

Largely in system defenses, producing reliable star drives are their primary limitation. Putting star drives on destroyers are their primary long range military craft, however they acquire them.

Around key planets, both population centers they significant large combat space platforms, as well as mines, gunboats, torpedo boat equivalents and maybe fighters.

To patrol the system they have destroyer and frigate equivalents, along with supporting cruisers, Al of this is backed up by a core of heavy fleet units ala Battlecruisers and battleships. If they have fighter type craft, they will have aircraft carrier proxies as well.

EDIT 4/4/2023 I am still good on this.

Last edited by adm; 04-04-2023 at 06:58 PM.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:09 PM   #527
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A lot depends on if these planets are properly settled, or if there's just a lot of settlement around the gate. Or if there is more than a single gate on each world.

That said, here's a spitball, assuming a single gate and most of the civilization built around that:
  • Around 50 small fighter craft, but those can be hard to account for: their owners are notorious for being off somewhere inconvenient when you need them. This is less than most peer powers have.
  • Around 50 medium-sized craft, capable of housing up to 20 people and acting as a combination bomber/troop transport/destroyer: you know, the perfect size for an adventuring party. These are kept close by their owning clans and are almost always available. This is more than most peer powers have.
  • Three Light Capital ships, whose maintenance and benefits are enough to warp the daily life of the powerful tribes who run them. Each has a household name and a tale of how the Frolechi acquired it. This is slightly less than most peer powers.
  • One Behemoth of a capital ship, won in a legendary battle, that is barely kept running by its (stationary) owners and is essentially a bluff. This is more than the peers of the Frolechi have... at least on paper.
I'm not really sold on these numbers, it depends on the factors above, but I feel that this gives some nice character to their forces. The numbers on the fighters and medium ships may need to be tweaked.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:01 PM   #528
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A lot depends on if these planets are properly settled, or if there's just a lot of settlement around the gate. Or if there is more than a single gate on each world.
So, you think I should do the planetary system question(s) and then come back to the space forces question? I'm willing to do that if no-one objects, but the system question isn't ready for posting, so it may be a few days (longer or shorter depending partly on RL stuff).

-- Tacitus

Old 03-21-2023, 06:29 AM   #529
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Frolechi Question VI
On parchment, the Frolechi do not appear to be peer rivals for minor system lords, as their space navy is small, and mostly composed of small-to-medium craft (fighters and boarding craft, rather than capital ships). They close the gap through a combination of highly-skilled pilots, stealth, and nigh-unparalleled infantry. Space combat involving the Frolechi is less about winnowing broadsides and revolves more around stealthy boarding craft depositing crack infantry onto enemy ships, overwhelming the crew and either capturing the enemy craft (typically to break down for parts*) or, more frequently, to sabotage it and escape before it destroys itself in spectacular fashion. Their planets are difficult to capture, as most Jaffa are no match for the Frolechi infantry on the ground - particularly with the latter knowing the terrain intimately and being very skilled at exploiting this.

This all does mean that the Frolechi are largely stuck playing defense. They can hold a much larger region of space than their forces "should" be capable of, but they can't readily weaponize their advantages to assault other system lords.

*Their stealth magitech can't really be retrofitted into existing ships, so they'll typically break down those they capture and incorporate materials/magitech from them into their own ships. The exceptions are jumpships, where they prioritize capture over destruction whenever possible, and which they can't really mix with their stealth magitech (they haven't figured out how to isolate the jump capabilities into a module they could incorporate into one of their own ships, so typically need to use the jumpships more-or-less as-is, although they'll sometimes retrofit more weapons, armor, and/or maneuver drives onto such to improve their capabilities).

Last edited by Varyon; 03-21-2023 at 06:34 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:48 AM   #530
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
So, you think I should do the planetary system question(s) and then come back to the space forces question? I'm willing to do that if no-one objects, but the system question isn't ready for posting, so it may be a few days (longer or shorter depending partly on RL stuff).
I mean, it depends if we're focusing on absolute numbers or if we're focusing on comparatives. Varyon's answer is all comparative. It might be best to just focus on relative numbers rather than absolute.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding