Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
phayman53

Default Re: [Monster Hunters] Fighting Style in [Martial Arts] format

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Nice style, although personally, if I were hunting monsters, I'd use a two-handed sword based style rather than sword and dagger. It's better for getting through DR, which is a frequent concern.

On a related note, here's a style I developed for a Buffyverse campaign I wanted to run several years ago--it's meant for a superhumanly strong Slayer, but might be of interest (and might be a good style for an Inhuman monster hunter):
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
While writing Dungeon Grappling (no relation to Dungeon Fantasy) I came across a large number of old images of pollaxe fighting to crack plate. Grappling, Polearm, and Two-Handed Axe/Mace would make a nice style here, as the needs are similar.
I completely agree that a two-handed sword or polearm like a duelling halberd would be better for most monsters, the issue though is having the ability to hide them reasonably to not attract attention in a modern setting to protect The Secret. Perhaps you could put a longsword in a hockey stick bag or something, but it is easier to do that with an arming sword. Likewise, a one-handed battle axe could be put in a tennis racket bag, but what could you do with a polaxe or duelling halberd?

So I went with one handed weapons and for the lower armor penetrating broadsword gave it TA Thrust/Eyes to give it a way around most high DR monsters. The axe has to settle for attacking the neck to go for a higher wounding modifier. EDIT: That said, you guys brought to my attention the issue of parrying heavy/really strong attacks with light/one-handed weapons, which I had forgotten. I will have to give that more thought after looking over those rules again.

That said, if concealing weapons is not an issue, both standard Longsword Style and Late Medieval Knightly Mounted Combat Style work almost as-is (though in a modern setting the latter has some extra skills, but trade lance for spear and riding for acrobatics and it is great...or keep lance and change riding to motorcycle to get through extra thick DR :-) ).

Last edited by phayman53; 12-18-2016 at 01:46 PM.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, monster hunters, style familiarity