Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #31
Praxian

Default Re: How to fight mages as a TL 7 character?

Tactics would end up being your best friend in taking out the archmage. Know when they'll be somewhere and then just figure out plan of attack based on logistics and weapons handy.

Fine example is in the episode of Arrow where the Green Lantern fought The Flash to see who was best.

Green Arrow won because of his use of tactics. He anticipated what Barry would do (correctly so) and set a trap that went off right at Barry's feet.

Hard to dodge a mortar blast when your standing on top of it.
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #32
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
I thought about long distance rifles but reverse missiles worriers me. One of my goals in this world is to assassinate it's arch-mage.
How about a 40mm grenade launcher, something like a M203 or whatever the replacement is called? Ora Milkor MGL or Hawk MM1 (both in High Tech) if you want to have a followup shot ready quicky since they hold more than one round Shoot the grenade so that it explodes at his feet, and take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
If he is from TL 8, he could give him a Galaxy S7 as present...
Nice, but he explodey phone is the Galaxy Note 7....

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #33
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Your best option is probably to play a laser designator over the mage's eyes first and blind him
Lasers are TL8.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #34
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Lasers are TL8.
High-Tech page 156 says other wise Targeting Lasers (TL7), that's what I'm talking about using
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #35
lachimba

im dubious that the DR 1 vs magic lightning is supposed to apply to Main Battle Tanks with DR 5000+. Especially given GURPS Technomancer is a thing. I suppose their tanks might have magic countermeasures though
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #36
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
im dubious that the DR 1 vs magic lightning is supposed to apply to Main Battle Tanks with DR 5000+. Especially given GURPS Technomancer is a thing. I suppose their tanks might have magic countermeasures though
Yeah, that rule is really for against armored knights and the like, against MBT's which are likely to be grounded for other reason it probably does 0 damage period.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #37
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
MBTs with DR 5000+ use composite laminate armour- so your right, it does not apply to MBTs.

It would apply to WWI/WWII tanks and SOME WWII aircraft, and armour topping out at platemail (once armour becomes more advanced then plate its using composites, ceramic, etc).

Its an interesting factor, but no so huge as to be more broken then magic in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Yeah, that rule is really for against armored knights and the like, against MBT's which are likely to be grounded for other reason it probably does 0 damage period.
The spell's effect has nothing to do with grounding. If it did relate to grounding then the knight in full plate would be every bit as well grounded as the guys inside a tank (perhaps more-so; the guy in full plate is wearing a personal faraday cage, and then tightly packed with non-conductive cloth).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #38
lwcamp

Look into Imbuements, from GURPS Power-Ups 1. Conic Blast, Shockwave, and Ghostly Weapon all look useful.

Strike of Negation will simply eliminate any spells protecting your target - very useful against a mage! Depending on how you read it, Strike of Negation might even shut down the mage's Magery advantage for several minutes.

Homing Weapon might be useful for mages using Reverse Missile - if the attack is self-guided, it can't come back and hit you!

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #39
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
The spell's effect has nothing to do with grounding. If it did relate to grounding then the knight in full plate would be every bit as well grounded as the guys inside a tank (perhaps more-so; the guy in full plate is wearing a personal faraday cage, and then tightly packed with non-conductive cloth).
Same concept but different working. Ever wonder why you never get shocked by all the electronics in a car or the internals of a laptop? Despite not being grounded in the grounded they're still grounded, the hull for a tank or car, something else for a laptop.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:34 AM   #40
NorphTehDwarf

Depending on exact TL, audacity, and ruthlessness, your guy could pull out a motorcycle and a tactical nuclear warhead close enough to blow the wizard off the map. Set a (long) timer, ride away, and wait. It'll only work once, but it'll be no fuss, no muss.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, mages, magic, tl 7, vehicles