Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: DR derivation in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Diamond ignites at 850 to 1000 C. Napalm burns at about 800-1200 C.
Diamond is a very very good heat conductor; you are unlikely to reach that temperature on a large object with any remotely small point source.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
Anaraxes

Napalm is a point source?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Varyon

If you have Pyramid #3/52, there's an article in there on Low Tech Armor Design which, despite its name, will work for designing armor of pretty much any TL, so long as you have the relevant data for the material. These relevant data are flexibility, DR/inch (or DR/lb), and density. Of these, DR/inch is the toughest one to figure out. Many materials are in GURPS in one form or another and can give you a good idea of their DR/inch or DR/lb by using the equations in the article to back-calculate. Other considerations can also come into play here - for example, aramid fiber (and its descendents in Ultratech) has greatly increased DR against piercing and cutting attacks, while brittle materials (like diamond) are semi-ablative. Offhand, I'd say diamond is essentially semi-ablative Diamondoid, although you could justify it being a bit less effective, using the stats for Nanocomposite instead. I worked out the stats of lot of UT materials for use with the article here, and the user Kallatari did the same (albeit earlier and with slightly different numbers) here.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
The_Ryujin

Sadly there is no formula that GURPS applies to figuring how much DR an object gives (that I know of at lest) and instead mostly either useses imperical data based on any known ballistics data for modern materials, penatration test studies done of recreations of old school armor for low tech armor and or a heaping of just plain ok' guess work.

That being said if you send David l Pulver a PM I'm pretty sure you can wrangle some of the rules of thumb he uses out of him.

Lastly, as others have said, diamond makes for poor armor do to a little problem called cleavage-any attacks that hit it at a right angle will chop through the armor like butter but if you still want some figures on it diamond has DR9 per inch, a WM of 0.99 but is semi ablative. I'd also rule that on a critical hit or after an successful Jeweler, Geologists or Expert Skill (Mineralogy) roll to treat attacks as having an AD of 10 to simulate hitting it at a 90 degree angel. If you want a type of diamond that doesn't suck there's TL 11 diamondiod armor which has DR ~250/in and a WM of 0.06.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Anders

Such a rule would probably be impossibly complex, if it's supposed to encompass even a fraction of the materials and modes of deploying them that are available.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If you're of the opinion that "just a dab will do".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If it's smaller than the vehicle, yes. A napalm bomb sufficient to cover and heat an entire vehicle will kill the vehicle no matter what it's made of.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Diamond is a very very good heat conductor; you are unlikely to reach that temperature on a large object with any remotely small point source.
Even with synthetics, could you make diamond armor with large plates? Diamond scale or brigandine is going to ignite when doused in napalm, I think.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Such a rule would probably be impossibly complex, if it's supposed to encompass even a fraction of the materials and modes of deploying them that are available.
And for many materials and threats, the data does not exist, so one would start by doing tests and trying to work out best-fits. Someone could easily do a whole PhD on different factors which influence the protective qualities of Japanese kozane made from traditional materials.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Diamond scale or brigantine is going to ignite when doused in napalm, I think.
The person inside the armor will be dead before the diamond ignites, so it doesn't much matter. For that matter, diamond is not particularly more flammable than, say, kevlar (which decomposes at lower temperatures than diamond ignites)

Last edited by Anthony; 09-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calculations, damage reduction