Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Langy

Default Re: Buffalo template

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
I took the values from this presentation:
http://www.fmvz.unesp.br/bufalos/HPB...o/02-RACAS.pdf
As it is from An university Doctor I imagine it tends to be accurate.
Looks like that's about domestic ones, which are lighter than wild water buffalo.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Looks like that's about domestic ones, which are lighter than wild water buffalo.
Yes, probably. I think it may be the reason behind the difference*.
But in Luke's page the captive Water Buffalo has the same weight as the wild one. That's the reason that made me think about a convertion mistake.

(*But why the wild one is bigger than the captive ones? I would think farmers would like bigger animals to produce more meat, like they do with the pigs)
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Langy

Quote:
But in Luke's page the captive Water Buffalo has the same weight as the wild one. That's the reason that made me think about a convertion mistake.

(*But why the wild one is bigger than the captive ones? I would think farmers would like bigger animals to produce more meat, like they do with the pigs)
I think it's more likely that Luke just didn't code anything for the domestic/captive buffalo.

In any case, I have no idea whatsoever why domestic ones are so much smaller than wild ones.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Dalillama

Quote:

Domestic pigs are actually smaller than wild ones as well. The reason being, animals the size of wild buffalo, cows, and pigs are really really dangerous to have around, basically. Even the ones we do raise are moderately hazardous to be around.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Vaevictis Asmadi

I've been meaning to look at Luke's site.

His animals are 4E, right? Do they obey the cube/square law and stuff? Are they compatible with basic set animals or would I need to use all one source or all the other?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
I took the values from this presentation:
http://www.fmvz.unesp.br/bufalos/HPB...o/02-RACAS.pdf
As it is from An university Doctor I imagine it tends to be accurate.

Maybe they keep growing up after they reach this 2 year-old age and could reach double this size? I don't know.
Buffalo keep growing for the first 10 years and do reach double their 2 year old size.
http://www.world-agriculture.com/buf...o_breeding.php
http://home.valornet.com/pcwdb/Water...lo%20Facts.htm

Also keep in mind that you're looking at domesticated breed numbers on your reference site, so the 2-3 year mark is when you normally slaughter your males for meat before they get to breeding age, since you only need a couple of older males to breed the females for milk.

I've been to buffalo mozzarella farms in Italy, there's usually a couple of big bulls easily at the ton mark, but the majority of the cows are half their size, granted they're not swamp buffalo.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:26 AM   #17
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetgee View Post
You must be prepared and qualified for the role before you can enter the workforce and contribute to the actual workplace. In light of this, enrolling in a course at the College of Contract Management is a great method to learn and hone important skills.
Reported as SPAM.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:52 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
His animals are 4E, right? Do they obey the cube/square law and stuff? Are they compatible with basic set animals or would I need to use all one source or all the other?
They're 4E, though he has optional houserules baked in and they may be on by default. Some of the houserules are pretty good though.

Luke is an accuracy nerd*, and has really good numbers. His scaling probably follows the square cube law (check the dinosaur section if you want to be really sure), but is more likely fitted to the natural sizes of the animals listed.

*Which I say with the greatest respect

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:30 AM   #19
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
*Which I say with the greatest respect
FYI eric, you are responding to a thread necro'd by a spammer from 10ish years ago.

Tags
bestiary, buffalo, rider, template, tribe