Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
FuelDrop

Default Kinda exotic supervillain concept, would like some help

Okay, so this is a bit of a high concept kind of villain, but here it is:
It's a sentient mind controlling hive mind demon virus. It infects people and uses the infected as puppets. Everyone in the hive mind has access to the skills and knowledge of everyone else in the hivemind, but if anyone removed from the hive mind (such as by being cured) then they don't retain anyone else's skills or memories and the hive mind loses access to their skills.

Infection vector should be fluid transfer, since otherwise this epidemic could get seriously out of hand very quickly (the PCs will need to find patient 0 to get a pure sample and work out the cure, then work out a way to track down the victims before the water supply can be contaminated).

I am just REALLY not sure how to represent this in game stats. I mean Dominance is obvious, and maybe some kind of Affliction, but beyond that...
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Railstar

Default Re: Kinda exotic supervillain concept, would like some help

For the infected themselves, they need 2 advantages:

Reawakened = learn skills without someone to teach them.

Modular abilities = a pool of ability points that can be reallocated to different skills as the change is needed. Pick a version which can be changed quickly and without special resources, essentially "downloading" information telepathically.

Skills only (Mental skills only?) & Accessibility (only skills other hive members have) limitations could help make the price more reasonable.

Memories can be covered by skills: Area Knowledge, Current Affairs, Hobby Skill (this person), and so on.

When they need someone else's memory, assume they are using a really narrow skill (Area Knowledge: my house) at default level, with bonuses for the skill they are using being so detailed or so specific.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
a humble lich

The race the Riders from the 3e Aliens book are much like this guy. They are a contagious virus that is transferred by fluids which take people over. I remember seeing a conversion of the 3e Aliens to 4e somewhere, but I can't remember where now.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
PlumedSerpent88

Would an "embodiment" (but not really) of the hive mind with Insubstantiality with Always On, Possession with Telecontrol, Assimilation, and Chronic, and an arbitrarily high level of Compartmentalized Mind work? Or is that too far from your concept? Maybe Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) with Swarm and enough Area Effect to cover the world would fit better than Insubstantiality.

Last edited by PlumedSerpent88; 10-06-2017 at 11:29 PM.
PlumedSerpent88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
FuelDrop

Some good ideas to toy with, certainly.
FuelDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
Harald387

Honestly, this is one of those cases where it's almost certainly best to not try to build the NPC's powers using advantages, disadvantages, enhancements, and limitations. Just decide how you want it to work (is there a resistance roll? can someone be broken free with methods other than an actual antiviral?), establish who it's already taken over to get a baseline of skills, then have it proceed from there.

NPCs needs stats, but they don't need detailed powers with point values.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, mind control, superhero, superheroes, supervillain