Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #221
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't Revolution! this game that you describe? Or am I missing something?
Or Frag, or Nanuk, or Chez Geek...

Strike that last one.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #222
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post

Strike that last one.
I didn't mention Frag because it's still pretty genre, FPSes don't even appeal to all videogamers. Nanuk is a card game, basically. Neither have that Eurogame feel that Revolution! does. If somebody asked me "What SJGames game is most like a Eurogame?" there's really only one answer, IMO.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #223
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post

Strike that last one.
Strike the first one too, Frag is totally inappropriate.

On the other hand, Nanuk does work great as a family game, it's only drawback is the 5 player minimum, but the 8 player max and quick game play are all pluses as a family game.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #224
Anthony

I must say, it doesn't really surprise me that hardcover GURPS books aren't selling well; I buy almost all my new gaming books as .pdf nowadays, because they actually work better that way. Gaming books are inconveniently large reference volumes, it doesn't take very many volumes before a laptop is smaller, and hey, I can keep multiple pages open at once in different tabs. The only physical RPG book I've bought recently was Monster Vault (for D&D), and I bought it because of 10 sheets of die-cut cardboard minis.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #225
Whitestreak

You know, Steve mentioned P.O.D. and the empty room.

I kniow that if SJG were start offering P.O.D., I'd start buying things that way.

The concept of getting professionally printed versions of some of those great PDF offerings would be welcome. I say this because my printer is, at best, functional and I'd be willing to pay to get a good, usable version of some things.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #226
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I must say, it doesn't really surprise me that hardcover GURPS books aren't selling well; I buy almost all my new gaming books as .pdf nowadays, because they actually work better that way. Gaming books are inconveniently large reference volumes, it doesn't take very many volumes before a laptop is smaller, and hey, I can keep multiple pages open at once in different tabs.
I still find it very difficult to read pdfs (especially long ones like Low-Tech) on a screen cover to cover, and of course it's nearly impossible to loan one out to somebody without printing it first. I find myself preferring to own both formats or at least printing a hardcopy for reading. In play, though I use the electronic versions nearly exclusively.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #227
Lord Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Well, I'd opine that Low-Tech's sales were hurt by the PDF sales to forumites.

I bought the PDF as soon as it was out, and then I kept waiting for the hardcover to be available on Amazon for below cover price like all the other GURPS books, it never was, so I eventually bought it at full price this year, but I can see how other people with the PDF wouldn't necessarily buy it, given that they already have a functional PDF.
While I would love a hardback Low-Tech, it just isn't a priority since I bought a PDF early on. I am still hoping for an eventual release of hardbacks with a CD of the PDF or a way to purchase both for a discount.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #228
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fitz View Post
While I would love a hardback Low-Tech, it just isn't a priority since I bought a PDF early on. I am still hoping for an eventual release of hardbacks with a CD of the PDF or a way to purchase both for a discount.
I just requested the dead-tree as a Christmas present. I doubt I would have bought it myself (probably would have just printed the pdf). Unfortunately we seem to be indicating that it is a mistake to release the pdf first, a practice I'd rather not convince them to stop.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #229
stefanj

Nanuk would be great for my Bay Area college friends, who need a many-player game.

Revolution wouldn't . . . not enough player spots! Which is a shame since it's totally the kind of game they love.

I'd have to think how the games would go over with my sister, nieces, and brother-in-law. It would be hard for them to get a fifth player for Nanuk, and Revolution's theme might be too much of a leap.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #230
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
Nanuk would be great for my Bay Area college friends, who need a many-player game.

Revolution wouldn't . . . not enough player spots! Which is a shame since it's totally the kind of game they love.
Did you know that it supports up to six with The Palace?
Quote:
I'd have to think how the games would go over with my sister, nieces, and brother-in-law. It would be hard for them to get a fifth player for Nanuk, and Revolution's theme might be too much of a leap.
Shouldn't be any harder than Ticket to Ride* or especially Settlers. If they can be competing colonial governors they can be competing revolutionary kingmakers.

*Is it just me or does the ostensible theme of Ticket to Ride have absolutely no relation to the actual game play, since you don't actually have to make connecting routes?