Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Challenges with my magic

Hello all. I'm having some issues and stumped on some paths I need to take. Sorry if this is rehashing old posts.

Basically I'm using standard magic as skills, with enhancements of allowing learning a spell with prerequisites, you are just at that negative. So a skilled/or unskilled spell caster can try a spell no matter what, due to a shared magical language.

My issues are these:

1.with various spells as prerequisites, how does a person just "know" all the spells of the world to know what spells they need to improve the greater one? I can maybe see a well trained wizard knowing of the chains, but not simply dabbler or minor mage, right?

2. If prerequisites are not followed at all, and all spells are just skills, does that really make any sense? Should there not be a path to magic? I'm thinking about just forgetting them and doing this..I'm just trying to see the pros and cons.

3. Or I'm thinking about just giving the prerequisite negative as a permanent negative and no matter the spells you have under it, it never changes or helps. Again for simplicity.

4. Lastly, allowing spells with prerequisites, but instead of a chain just allowing any spell in that college that is "lesser" then another to remove the negatives of that spell. So if you have any three lesser fire spells, fireball is at no negative.

Some advice from past personal experience on these issues would be great and very needed. Or any issues you see in your experience. I'm in between story narrative, rules, players being happy, and my happiness.

Thank you.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Challenges with my magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
1.with various spells as prerequisites, how does a person just "know" all the spells of the world to know what spells they need to improve the greater one? I can maybe see a well trained wizard knowing of the chains, but not simply dabbler or minor mage, right?
The mage reads a book. This could be a Research task at the Guild library or maybe his last bit of loot included a book about Fire Magic.

Ye Ancient Libram of Firey Sorcery might just talk about Fire spells or it might even allow study of the first half of the College. Really advanced spells would be secrets to discover alter.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
Lameth

Thank you, anyone else?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
Randover

This is bit to abstractive to me. So I would ask you about something different what are you trying to acheive with this system? Generalist fantasy mages? Find a way how to create learable magic. Like PC starts as appretice and can progress to becomming a master? Or just easy to use system, without need to check for each and every spell PC might get to know or start with?
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote