Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Mercutio Montecchi

Default Languages and defaults

Hi, how do languages with defaults work in GURPS 4e?
I'm about to start a GURPS Conan campaign and there are many, many, many languages, most of which default to other languages, ranging from -2 to -6.
The problem is that I couldn't find in any current 4e GURPS book any indication on how to treat defaults in languages.

I planned a character using 3e rules and basically by knowing my own language + 6 additional languages very well (11 INT, 1 point in Language Talent and 10 in Linguistics, 1 or 2 points in each language), I can be a proficient speaker in 15 languages or so.
So basically I'm spending 10 pts for Literacy, 2 for Language Talent, 2 for Linguistics and 10 for the individual languages, for a total of 24 points (40 if you count the points spent for 11 INT) and I know all those languages at 12-15; the languages I know by default range from 7 to 10, which is still considered accented by 4e standards.

Using the new rules, I could take Language Talent (10 pts), and with 2 points (broken/broken) in each language (6 languages, for a total of 12 points), I know them all at an accented/accented level. In total I spend 22 points instead of 24 but I know them all at an accented level instead of the equivalent of native level. Plus, I don't know how to treat the default.
Does any book address this issue?
I like the idea of a linguist character but I feel 4e is a bit superficial in this aspect.
Mercutio Montecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Languages and defaults

"Languages, Culture, And The Common Tongue" by Demi Benson in Pyramid #3/16 deals with language defaults, when they're applicable and how they work. Neat article.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio Montecchi View Post
The problem is that I couldn't find in any current 4e GURPS book any indication on how to treat defaults in languages.
I don't think there's a canonical treatment of that sort of thing. What I did in Hot Spots: Renaissance Florence was to assign reduced levels of fluency between dialects, somewhat in the style of defaults. For example: language A and language B are sufficiently closely related that each provides the other at one step of fluency less. If you learn language A to Accented, you know language B at Broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio Montecchi View Post
I like the idea of a linguist character but I feel 4e is a bit superficial in this aspect.
4e is rather more coarse-grained than earlier editions. If you really want to feature linguistics as part of your game, you may consider tossing the 4e language rules and reverting to 3rd edition's.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Polydamas

Language defaults of the "Native X gives you Broken Y" type were first published in GURPS Banestorm about a year after g4e came out. The GURPS 3e rules were very easy for characters with IQ 13+ to abuse (1/2 point would let someone go from no knowledge of German to being able to fake accents and read scholarly books).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Mercutio Montecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
4e is rather more coarse-grained than earlier editions. If you really want to feature linguistics as part of your game, you may consider tossing the 4e language rules and reverting to 3rd edition's.
That's not up to me though :P that's up to the GM :\
Mercutio Montecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Language defaults of the "Native X gives you Broken Y" type were first published in GURPS Banestorm about a year after g4e came out.
That's what I would do, too, for closely related languages: Native->Accented->Broken...
Moreover you could allow buying up the affected languages from that default.
And if the related language is similar in verbal and written form, as another option I'd also allow buying the language for 1 CP spoken and written (per level).

Last edited by OldSam; 10-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
John Smith

I agree. For example, Italian (Native) should give you Spanish, French and Portuguese (all Broken); Danish would perhaps give you Norwegian (Accented) as a default, since they are very close; am I mistaken?
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Anders

I am from Sweden, so I have Swedish (N/N). I can understand Norwegian fairly well, call it (A/S), but have a very hard time understanding Danish (B/S). On the other hand, the Danes find it quite easy to understand Swedish, so maybe a Dane would have Swedish (A/S)?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

It gets even more entertaining for defaults up and down a timeline. The characters in my Infinite Worlds Cabal campaign are mostly from the early eighteenth century. That's fairly useful; their are -1 from both Elizabethan and Modern English, and their French is about the same. Their scholarly Latin is -2 from quite a lot of things, but magic seemed necessary in 1962 Italy; possibly their Frenchman should have been able to manage broken Italian, but he's Oblivious, and thus doesn't tend to volunteer.

Hungarian works well as a private language almost everywhere, though.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Hungarian works well as a private language almost everywhere, though.
Basque should be even better.