Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Dumb questions

So I started a game last night and a couple of things came up. Probably missing them in a simple place, but thought I would ask to see if I missed anything.

1) How much do horses (and stuff in general) cost? I know the weapons and armor price lists and the generic adventurer gear. But what about other stuff... how much to stay at an inn? Eat for the night? Is there a good source for this sort of stuff that fits with TFT? I can use HOW if necessary, but was wondering if there was anything official.

2) How long do spells and talents take to learn? Any time at all? Since casters don't use spell books ala D&D, must all spells be learnt via teachers?

3) I'm pretty sure I had a third one but I can't remember it right now...
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Dumb questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
So I started a game last night and a couple of things came up. Probably missing them in a simple place, but thought I would ask to see if I missed anything.

1) How much do horses (and stuff in general) cost? I know the weapons and armor price lists and the generic adventurer gear. But what about other stuff... how much to stay at an inn? Eat for the night? Is there a good source for this sort of stuff that fits with TFT? I can use HOW if necessary, but was wondering if there was anything official.

2) How long do spells and talents take to learn? Any time at all? Since casters don't use spell books ala D&D, must all spells be learnt via teachers?

3) I'm pretty sure I had a third one but I can't remember it right now...
1. cost of horses (and other riding animals) is in their description in the beastiary
2. I believe this is not specified in the current edition; you learn them when you spend the XP for them. But people often discuss house rules to 'gate keep' rate of learning. And the GM's decisions about the availability of tomes and wizard guilds influences which spells you can possibly learn.
3. You did, and you'll remember it in 3 hours.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Shadekeep

Quote:
The rules state that some of the time spent acquiring the XP to purchase the talent can be assumed to be the learning of said talent. Note that some talents are only offered by the Thieves and/or Mechanist Guild, and the learning of spells can be facilitated by the Wizards Guild. Membership in that is not required for wizards, but can be useful as well as politic.

Naturally, the GM can place further requirements that they see fit. For example, learning Unarmed Combat may require affiliation with a dojo, ludus, or other fighting school. Some talents are not easily picked up from solo study.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:

1) how much to stay at an inn? Eat for the night?
See ITL page 170 - Village of Bendwynn, The Broken Blade. It gives how much that lodging is and price included for cheapest stay with food, and also stabling horse.

Quote:
Is there a good source for this sort of stuff that fits with TFT? I can use HOW if necessary, but was wondering if there was anything official.
I'm sure there will be eventually. Maybe in Hexagram Mag #2?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #5
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
1. cost of horses (and other riding animals) is in their description in the beastiary
Ah, I looked there but couldn't see it! Granted I was skimming it and juggling character creation, so easily done. I wonder if barding is included?

Quote:
2. I believe this is not specified in the current edition; you learn them when you spend the XP for them. But people often discuss house rules to 'gate keep' rate of learning. And the GM's decisions about the availability of tomes and wizard guilds influences which spells you can possibly learn.
This brings up another setting based question...why would wizards ever write down spells? If you don't need a spell book, ala d&d, then having written spells just seems like an invitation to invasion via adventurers and thieves. If you are the only one who knows that IQ 17 spell in several hundred miles, not only do you have power over anyone who wants it, you also have a bargaining chip should your dark tower be invaded by pesky do-gooders. If your crowning spell is in a book that can be looted after your death... well you deserve what you get.

I mean, I understand low level spells...who actually wants to spend time with their apprentices? But mid to high level stuff...unless you were facing death soon and none of your apprentices were ready to learn, I just don't think wizards would bother to write down their spells very often.

Quote:
3. You did, and you'll remember it in 3 hours.
And then I promptly forgot it again!!!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:51 AM   #6
amenditman

TL:DR they cost a lot.

I think these are correct, but you should always check my maths. /s
Cost of horses is complicated.

(ST X 10) + (DX X DX) + (MA X 3)

Then take that total and
IQ5 or less X 1
IQ6 X 2
IQ7 X 10

Plus 6 months breaking/training costs $100/month and $86 per month feed/care
IQ5 6 months old + 6 months training
IQ6 6 months old + 1 year training
IQ7 6 months old + 2 year training

Last edited by amenditman; 06-07-2019 at 10:33 AM.
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:23 AM   #7
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenditman View Post
TL:DR they cost a lot.

I think these are correct, but you should always check my maths. /s
Cost of horses is complicated.

(ST X 10) + (DX X DX) +(MA X 3)

Then take that total and
IQ5 or less X 1
IQ6 X 2
IQ7 X 10

Plus 6 months breaking/training costs $100/month and $86 per month feed/care
IQ5 6 months old + 6 months training
IQ6 6 months old + 1 year training
IQ7 6 months old + 2 year training
Yeah, I just read that...what the hell? 8O

Minimum a donkey costs $1013 as far as I can tell? That's...insane.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 AM   #8
amenditman

Quote:
Yeah, I just read that...what the hell? 8O

Minimum a donkey costs $1013 as far as I can tell? That's...insane.
Horses and useful beasts of burden were extremely valuable pre-industrial revolution, and still are very expensive to keep due to land/feed/vet costs.

Ever wonder why being a horse thief or livestock ruster were some of the worst offenses and the most aggressively punished?
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 AM   #9
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenditman View Post
Horses and useful beasts of burden were extremely valuable pre-industrial revolution, and still are very expensive to keep due to land/feed/vet costs.

Ever wonder why being a horse thief or livestock ruster were some of the worst offenses and the most aggressively punished?
That is true, but economy of scale also means that they were far more common (and therefore cheaper). Peasants wouldn't be able to afford $1013, but realistically farmers and villagers had them.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 AM   #10
amenditman

Quote:
That is true, but economy of scale also means that they were far more common (and therefore cheaper). Peasants wouldn't be able to afford $1013, but realistically farmers and villagers had them.
Well off farmers and villagers had them. Subsistence farmers never could afford them. And if they somehow got one, they couldn't afford the care and feeding.