Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Advantages of Great Strength?

I just add the difference between club damage and the relevant weapon damage.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Speaking of... how did you handle weapons specifically sized for giants? Did you use standard weapon damage and then add the house-ruled ST bonus or did you have giant-sized weapons with their own damage profile?
In our original TFT campaigns, very very few giants saw any action near the PCs. When they did, it was usually just a typical giant with a club, which either hit someone and squashed them, or (more usually) got ganged up on and died.

We noticed that the AM club/fist damage table contradicted basic Melee/Wizard/Microquest giants that all did 3d+3 at ST 30, and also that AM was talking presumably about the same club, while a giant wouldn't use the same club a human-sized person would, so we quick & dirty chose to use the basic Melee system where giant club damage is 1d+1 for every 10 ST, except when it's worse than AM, where IIRC we said the 1d+7 for a 2-handed club at ST 25-29 may as well mean 3d for a giant with that ST, or something like that.

We also noticed that there was a weirdness where a ST 30+ giant could use a weapon, but would always do less than a 3d+3 club unless it were a fine or magic weapon, which we knew made no sense, but we never had to solve it because we didn't use giants.

However, now, and having run giant-sized fighters in GURPS (. . .), and seen some pretty interesting situations which go beyond damage, I would tend to want to start by re-vamping the damage table when playing TFT to fall in line with the damage table I've already re-vamped for bare hand damage and weapons wielded with more ST than they need, and two-handed weapons, etc, so that giant clubs would seem appropriately more damaging than a giant with a human-sized club. And, if I wanted to include more interesting giants, I'd want to add better giant-sized weapons that would do more damage than a giant using a human-sized weapon with my house-ruled more-ST-that-needed bonus.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #13
Shoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I just add the difference between club damage and the relevant weapon damage.
This is elegant, but I was going to suggest that giant combat may no be so refined that a giant sized series would be much more dangerous than a club. I would happily simply give a giant wielding any weapon with a blade +1d damage.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoug View Post
This is elegant, but I was going to suggest that giant combat may no be so refined that a giant sized series would be much more dangerous than a club. I would happily simply give a giant wielding any weapon with a blade +1d damage.
That's fine for generic giant opponents, I suppose, but kind of limiting if you allow them as player characters. I would want the option of aquiring a giant-sized greatsword (minimum ST 30 perhaps). And it's not simply a matter of damage... giant-sized pole arms would have considerably more reach, for example.

I think I'll spin this off into a separate thread so as not to dilute the original topic.