Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
aebrain
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default Shields

Small shield - blocks 3 damage if the roll contains a 3. Thus 6.4.1 misses the shield. 2,1,3 blocks 3 pts. Otherwise ignore shield.

Medium shield - blocks 3 damage for every 3 in the roll. So 6,3,1 blocks 3 pts, 1,3,3 blocks 6, 3,3,3 blocks 9. Otherwise ignore shield.

Large shield - always blocks 3 as it's essentially used for hiding behind not blocking/parrying.

Statistically, on average the effect is almost the same as the rules as written, but it gives more flavour.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
Rick_Smith
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Coquitlam B.C.
Default Re: Shields - Varient rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebrain View Post
...
Statistically, on average the effect is almost the same as the rules as written, but it gives more flavour.
Hi Aebrain,
What a neat idea. I doubt that SJ will go for this, but I intend to use this as a magic item in my campaign.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Shields

Definitely an interesting use of dice results!

It seems like weapons that roll fewer dice for the same ST would tend to do more damage to shield users (like hammer vs cutlass). It seems like hammer/ax/mace weapons tend to do damage that is lower dice with a positive modifier instead of higher dice with a negative modifier, like 1d+1 instead of 2d-2 for ST 10 and 2d+2 instead of 3d-1 for ST 14, although mace is an exception to this.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Shields

It is a clever sort of mechanic.

As Zot's response points out, it's not clear what roll is meant. Zot seems to think it's the damage roll, while I assumed (due to the examples showing 3 dice and claiming to statistically work out about the same as RAW) that it was the to-hit roll.

If it is the to-hit roll, then it'd also be a bit more likely to stop more hits when someone were defending or dodging (since 4 dice). Except Tower Shields, which always stop 3 but never more than 3. There's also the peculiarity that a medium shield can stop 9, but only (on 3-dice) on a to-hit roll of exactly 9.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 AM   #5
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It is a clever sort of mechanic.

As Zot's response points out, it's not clear what roll is meant. Zot seems to think it's the damage roll, while I assumed (due to the examples showing 3 dice and claiming to statistically work out about the same as RAW) that it was the to-hit roll.

If it is the to-hit roll, then it'd also be a bit more likely to stop more hits when someone were defending or dodging (since 4 dice). Except Tower Shields, which always stop 3 but never more than 3. There's also the peculiarity that a medium shield can stop 9, but only (on 3-dice) on a to-hit roll of exactly 9.
Good point -- it must be the DX roll. And the fact that it blocks more from someone who has a harder time hitting you is neat.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Anomylous
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default Re: Shields

I like the mechanic, I like the pattern of 3's (easy to remember) and might adopt it. Treating shields as additional armor always seemed overly simplistic.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
aebrain
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default Re: Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Good point -- it must be the DX roll. And the fact that it blocks more from someone who has a harder time hitting you is neat.
Exactly, it is the to-hit Dex roll, and the greater protection from an attack with a harder time hitting is deliberate.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #8
aebrain
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default Re: Shields - Varient rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Aebrain,
What a neat idea. I doubt that SJ will go for this, but I intend to use this as a magic item in my campaign.

Warm regards, Rick.
It was extensively playtested too back in the early 80s.

Many thanks for the kind words.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Anomylous
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default Re: Shields

Not to hijack the thread, but this idea fits here:

Although I haven't playtested it, I've thought about giving shield-bearers the option to defend with the shield (forcing their opponent to roll 4 dice to hit), while their own attack will be at -4 DX (it's now effectively a "second attack" after defending).

Would lead to longer combats, as many fewer blows would land, but that seems realistic? I might rule that this option costs fatigue, per a suggestion from another thread, to keep stalemates from going on too long.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:59 AM   #10
CardDiceian
 
CardDiceian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Berkshire - UK
Default Re: Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebrain View Post
Small shield - blocks 3 damage if the roll contains a 3. Thus 6.4.1 misses the shield. 2,1,3 blocks 3 pts. Otherwise ignore shield.

Medium shield - blocks 3 damage for every 3 in the roll. So 6,3,1 blocks 3 pts, 1,3,3 blocks 6, 3,3,3 blocks 9. Otherwise ignore shield.

Large shield - always blocks 3 as it's essentially used for hiding behind not blocking/parrying.

Statistically, on average the effect is almost the same as the rules as written, but it gives more flavour.
Is 'Medium shield' - one you added in yourselves? - In the ITL / AM books it goes straight from Small shield / Spike shield / Large shield / Tower shield.
What are the details on medium please?
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shields

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.