Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Using incense to help purify an unholy area

I was wondering what you would do with using incense to help a cleric purify an unholy area. Would there be some advantage to skill level per some price of incence used during the ritual/exorcism? Like maybe using frankincense to help purify a demonic temple. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Using incense to help purify an unholy area

I can totally see Incense being a consumable piece of high quality equipment, good for giving a +1 or +2 on Exorcism skill rolls, depending on the quality. Assign +1 or +2 based on how expensive the incense is, if it's about $50 a shot, give it a +1, if it's $200 a shot, +2. Don't use more incense for the +2, use more expensive and rare incense.

This I would say is enough incense to "fumigate" a room about 40'x40', and you'll have to give it some time to get everywhere... so you might be dodging angry demons and Evil Runes while trying to keep the incense burning.

Weight of one "dose" isn't going to be more than a few ounces for the incense itself, but the equipment to burn it safely (particularly to carry it around in a ceremony) is going to be a few pounds.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Phantasm

I should also note that different incenses have different meanings and effects. For example, sandlewood incense is supposed to help your concentration, while myrrh is a soporific, meant to help people sleep better (hence why it's used as a funerary incense, helping the dead rest in peace).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
b-dog

Thanks for the help. I think the $50 for + 1 and $200 for +2 is pretty fair and would give something to clerics to spend money on or as a tresure to find in the dungeon. As far as different types of incense I am all for it. I would like many more to help clerics and druids to commune with their deities or nature and of course wizards will have use for incence too.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
RyanW

I would use the $50/$200 as a general guideline for any better-than-strictly-required material consumed in prayer, whether that is incense, holy ink, ghost money, etc.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I was wondering what you would do with using incense to help a cleric purify an unholy area.
If you mean the game technicalities I don't know. I would however not pass up the opportunity for a long quest to get the incense. Probably a special vintage too.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

And don't forget that a Druid Herbalist should be able to aquire some purifying sage or sweetgrass for relatively cheap, if they do the harvesting and curing themselves.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
Bruno

Asafoetida incense is used to expel (or hedge in) demons, it's been regarded as particularly potent for centuries. Probably because it's pretty stinky. It also became very expensive after a shift in politics in the middle east disrupted trade routes and made it difficult to get outside the region a few hundred years ago.

I blame this thread for having to explain asafoetida to someone in my dreams last night, including why people put a herb that stinky in their food (when cooked it changes character radically, like onions do).

So make sure not to get your incense boiled or steamed, it'll turn it into something else :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
The Colonel

As already posted, it's highly likely to be a standard tool for ritual cleansing, whether as joss sticks or burned in a censer or what have you depending on your tradition.
Again, as noted, asafoetida has a reputation as cleansing as, IIRC does mugwort whilst frankincense traditionally sanctified.
Realistically, any given tradition will have its own purifying rituals but fire, salt and water are all traditional components. Vinegar may also be popular.
You may wish to design a ritual that fits with the religion of your PC...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote