Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-07-2019, 01:51 AM   #21
JLV

Default Re: How do you GM Gods and the Afterlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
In my game, when a character dies, I hand the god that lost the character a new character sheet and tell them to write up a new starting character.
LOL! That's exactly right!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #22
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
Im wondering, with all you guys who have also GMed TFT for decades ..

Do you generally treat Cidri as a place where religions are more than just beliefs? Is there generally any supernatural events, spells or items which seem to have genuine 'holy' (or unholy) powers rather than man-made magic?

Do for instance, Cidri christians argue about where Palestine or Rome might really be .. on Cidri or an alternate earth? Do crosses really do anything to vampires (or only if the vampire themselves is a christian)? Does mighty Thor or Zeus actually cause thunderstorms? Is some religion or other obviously more 'real' than others? Are the various undead you might have in your games evidence for an afterlife? Are demons evidence, or just beings from a highly chaotic alternate 'normal' universe? Do any of you have active in-game cults devoted to the worship of the Mnoren? Does human sacrifice temporarily give wizards access to lots of Mana? Do any of you use some equivalent of D+D clerical healing magics (heresy! lol)?

are 'good' and 'evil' more than just humanocentric concepts?

or anything else you might rekon relevant to this topic
I'm very interested in religion and priests that have access to supernatural power in TFT, which is why I made the Theurgy Toolkit -- this is an updated version (which reminds me that I need to post about this). In it, I cover some different approaches to handling religion in TFT campaigns that run all the way from "theurgy is just a different way to access magic" to "the gods are real and magic is just an alternate way to access their power". In either case, I'm doing something like D&D's "psionics-magic transparency" where there is a lot of overlap between magic and theurgy and one can affect the other (i.e. Remove Thrown Spell can cancel a lot of theurgical effects and vice-versa).

I haven't addressed divine phenomena yet but I'd like to do a spooky temple in a jungle with some angelic/demonic beings that actually use magic (unlike normal TFT demons) as well as villages with theurges.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
JLV

Religion is potentially a risky area for some gamers. So generally, over the past 35 years, I let the players guide me on that sort of thing. If they wanted to explore religions, I'll bend the campaign that way for them. But I closely monitored player reactions, and if it started to get too squirrely, I'd wind it back down a bit.

I think if I was going to launch a new campaign next week, I'd probably sit down with everyone and ask what they want to see and how they felt about certain things before I even started. And if everyone wanted that kind of game, I might shift more towards an HPL/Robert E. Howard kind of structure rather than do a whole bunch of stuff with things like Islam or Catholicism. (Though I will say, in passing, that the guys who created Dragon Warriors did a brilliant job with the standard medieval religions and those books should be a guide to anyone who wants to play with that kind of religious structure in place, where miracles and Saints' relics actually play a role!)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote