Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Skarg

Default I found the rule about not needing the Knife talent!

It's in Metagaming's Codex, Q&A page 1, where it says anyone can use a dagger for a normal attack or in HTH. The Knife talent just allows throwing daggers and main gauche use.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: I found the rule about not needing the Knife talent!

I seem to recall that there was a big debate over whether the Codex was considered "authoritative" or not back in the Brainiac days...and that the general consensus was that it was *NOT* authoritative since many items in there contradicted the RAW... (Of which, I would think, this would be one...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
Skarg

Yeah, I don't entirely agree with everything in the Codex either.

This one I like, though, at least as far as HTH fighting goes (maybe not the normal attacks part), because it removes the weird dilemma of wizards and people with ax/mace wondering whether to invest talent points in Knife just for their HTH weapon, or not, while people with Sword don't.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yeah, I don't entirely agree with everything in the Codex either.

This one I like, though, at least as far as HTH fighting goes (maybe not the normal attacks part), because it removes the weird dilemma of wizards and people with ax/mace wondering whether to invest talent points in Knife just for their HTH weapon, or not, while people with Sword don't.
Good point, but we always assumed that anyone in HTH could use a knife (you don't "train" to use a broken bottle, either). There may have even been something in the classic rules that either implied or directly stated that (or maybe we just assumed the DX penalty and bonus offset one another -- for being untrained with a knife and for stabbing someone whose every side is a rear hex); but either way that was always the way we played it back when. I really have to take the time to see what the rules now say about it, though... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
larsdangly

My house rules include the non-throwable knife in a list of 'common weapons' that you can use proficiently if you have a broadly relevant weapon talent, or any Mundane talent that implies you would use that object as a tool. I mostly do this to encourage people to consider character types who have mundane talents and normal (i.e., non-murder-hobo) daily lives.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
Shadekeep

Makes sense that any small weapon or item that basically augments your hand (including cestus and brass knuckles) should be usable by anyone in HTH. It's in all the other forms of combat that one would need knife/cestus/etc skill to be effective. Somewhat of an analogue to how no-one needs club skill.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Skarg

Yeah, I agree, and remembered a rule like that but couldn't find it until I finally re-found it in the Codex, and had posted here about it before, so I thought I'd mention it.