Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Spaceships series: Electrical Batteries module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The fuel cell numbers are most certainly wrong.
Based on your last post, the question is more whether any power-related numbers in the whole thing aren't wrong.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #32
jacobmuller

Were any actual per ton values worked out? eg Fuel Cell 5Mw Fusion 10Mw Antimatter 20Mw?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Were any actual per ton values worked out? eg Fuel Cell 5Mw Fusion 10Mw Antimatter 20Mw?
None of that is officially provided.

Physics can give you minimums for how much power a power point must be based on the various power-consuming systems. You can get some maximums too but I think that's a bit hairier.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Physics can give you minimums for how much power a power point must be based on the various power-consuming systems.
Which are somewhat inconsistent. I'm fond of 1 ep = 50 kW/ton, as generates reasonably plausible power densities, but to do that you need to reduce ion drive thrust by a factor of 5 and mass driver by a factor of 10.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Which are somewhat inconsistent. I'm fond of 1 ep = 50 kW/ton, as generates reasonably plausible power densities, but to do that you need to reduce ion drive thrust by a factor of 5 and mass driver by a factor of 10.
I can live with that. TL8 anything is going to be painfully inefficient. Mass drivers are by their nature horrible at everything unless you have free mass and really long term power.

I don't expect TPTB to ever clearly state it, but I still like having a ballpark figure for adding new house rule tech.
Unless anyone disagrees, I'm going to steal the 50 kW/ton guideline.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #36
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I can live with that. TL8 anything is going to be painfully inefficient.
For clarity, by reasonable, I mean 'reasonable at TL 9'. TL8 space-rated power plants have fairly horrible performance.

Incidentally, 50 kW/ton is 100 horsepower on a 3,000 lb car; a modern car is likely to have 2 ep, a sports car will be 3-4.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #37
Fred Brackin

Quote:
For clarity, by reasonable, I mean 'reasonable at TL 9'. TL8 space-rated power plants have fairly horrible performance.

Incidentally, 50 kW/ton is 100 horsepower on a 3,000 lb car; a modern car is likely to have 2 ep, a sports car will be 3-4.
That is a rather modest defintion of "sports car". Modern super cars don't really start til you go over 600 hp and there's a very significant number of vehicles in the 400-500 range.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That is a rather modest defintion of "sports car". Modern super cars don't really start til you go over 600 hp and there's a very significant number of vehicles in the 400-500 range.
They're also usually over 3,000 lb loaded weight. For example, a 2010 Camaro SS is 426 hp (318 kW), but it has a curb weight of 3,860 lb, which will exceed 4,000 lb with a driver; thus, that's 3 ep. Going with lighter sports cars, the Lotus Elise SC is 218 HP (163 kW) on a weight of 1,987 lb; that's marginally over 3 ep as well. Can you give me an example of a 600 horsepower car with a curb weight of less than 4,300 lb, or 500 hp at less than 3,555 lb, or 400 hp at less than 2,810 lb? (in all cases, adding 170 lb to curb weight for a driver).
Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #39
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Can you give me an example of a 600 horsepower car with a curb weight of less than 4,300 lb, or 500 hp at less than 3,555 lb, or 400 hp at less than 2,810 lb? (in all cases, adding 170 lb to curb weight for a driver).
Including modified cars? The Subaru WRX STi can hit 500-600hp on less than 3,000lbs curb weight, I believe. Some extreme mods have hit 1,000hp.

There's a 1,500hp modification to a Porsche out there with a curb weight of 3,200-3,600lbs. http://ast-usa.com/blog/2011/04/
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #40
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Including modified cars?
I was defending a claim of 3-4 ep for a sports car, not for specialized variants; there's no question more than 4 ep is achievable, it's just not at all normal for sports cars. Its not that exotic in aircraft, a Sikorsky Super Stallion, unloaded, works out to 12 ep.

Tags
spaceships