Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Greg 1

Default Re: Unarmed Parry with "Off Hand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo
It might have an application for unskilled, unarmed parries. So if you lack Brawling/Karate, you parry with DX/2 + 3. This could be penalized for the "off hand" but I am not sure.

(EDIT: sorry I didn't realized Peter just said the same thing)
No worries, Lupo and thanks very much for the help.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
GoblynByte

I seem to remember Kromm saying that this was one of the reasons behind devoting a point to Brawling when anyone defaults to DX when punching. Investing 1 point doesn't actually change your skill above default (if memory serves) but I seem to remember that when I questioned this 'pointless investment' (no pun intended) Kromm pointed out that it negated the parry penalty. I'll have to look back, though, to see if that was the same thing.
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
GoblynByte

Here's what Kromm said about that in other locations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
It's the bit where Brawling is innately ambidextrous that makes it useful for parrying. Martial Arts presents an optional rule to tone this down, but as written, it's a nice edge.

Originally Posted by Kromm
Brawling gives a parry with either hand. A DX 10 man with Brawling 10 gets two parries at 8. Granted, he also gets a dodge at 8, and has 11 if he opts to retreat . . . but he can only retreat from one foe per turn. He'll find the parries useful if he has more than one foe. And a more likely DX 14 action-hero type with Brawling 14 gets two parries at 10, and a dodge at perhaps 9. Against multiple foes, retreating on the dodge for 12 and then parrying twice at 10 could even be reliable.

Brawling lets you use Elbow Strike and Knee Strike, both of which have little benefits built in. Elbow Strike lets you get at somebody behind you at only -2, instead of at -5 with a skill cap, as with Wild Swing. Knee Strike removes the penalty for targeting the groin when grappling, and delivers kick damage without the danger of falling down on a miss. Neither has a DX default.

And with Martial Arts, that second item up there will be an even bigger deal.

The executive summary is that even a point in Brawling is worth it if the character ever plans to get into a melee with multiple foes, people coming from behind, people grappling from in front, etc. That is, if he ever plans to be in a brawl. It's only a bad deal if all his battles are frontal, one-on-one fist-fights.
A sense of obligation."
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
GoblynByte

Here's a link to that thread. It addresses your question more directly in the last two posts. Not sure if it'll help or not, though.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...5&page=4&pp=10
A sense of obligation."

Tags
off hand parries, off-hand parrying, off-hand punching