Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #21
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Presume boxing as well as karate . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popov
Ok, but that's your interpretation of the rules (which only precise this for Karate skill).
If there wasn't a mention of the lacking penalty with Karate, I'd agree it's up to the GM (The Boxing fighting style could just add OHWT to offset the penalty, or all unarmed skill could have no OH penalty). But it's clear that there is a difference between the unarmed skills, because of this mention. So I think that either we get an errata, or there is a penalty to grapple/punch/grab with your off-hand without Karate.

Am I wrong ?
You are wrong, but don't feel bad about it. *grin*

If you'll notice in the Harsh Realism box on MA p.124, the hitting someone with a -4 penalty and -2 ST for someone with Boxing skill is an optional rule, which means in the normal rules you don't apply that penalty.
Also keep in mind that it's an optional rule that's meant to apply mainly to mooks, since the PCs in those types of campaigns are supposed to get the OHWT style perk which cancels that out if they're fighting types.

Basically, Kromm goes with a less words is better approach when writing GURPS rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
There's also several fast-draw skills in regular use for that type of thing:
Fast-Draw Knife, Main-Gauche, Adaga, Shortsword, Wakizashi, Baton, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popov
But for all this examples, you need OHWT(Weapon Skill) and then OHWT(Fast-Draw : Weapon Skill). At least, that's what I've understood in Martial Arts.
If the weapon is normally used with the off-hand, as in the example of knives like Main-Gauche and Jitte Sais, it has no penalty for use in the off-hand defensively, which I choose to interpret to include no penalty for fast-draw for defense, though they are still at -4 for offense.

As far as I'm concerned this also applies to all other weapons which are also used in a similar manner defensively in the off-hand, in the examples I listed, the Adaga, Shortsword, Wakizashi, and Baton, are simply large knife sized objects, over a foot of blade but under 2 feet of blade, which are used in the off-hand in certain styles in a similar manner to the any other large knife like the Main-Gauche; though different GMs may choose to draw the line at a specific blade/stick length, or require a Style Perk to allow that type of usage.
Personally, I have kitchen knives over a foot long and I've seen Main-Gauches and Jitte Sais with longer blades than the typical 18" Wakizashis and other short swords, so if I had to require my players to get OHWT for use of those short swords and batons defensively, I'd simply have them use the Main-Gauche skill for all of those.
YMMV.

Now, as far as using those weapons offensively, you do need OHWT (Knife or Sword).

As for whether or not to require multiple OHWT Perks for the same weapon to fast-draw and then use, I interpret it as only requiring one Perk and ruled that once you have OHWT (Knife or Sword), then you automatically can use your fast-draw skill for those weapons offensively without penalty, since to me the OHWT includes all normal uses of the weapon and fast-draw is part of normal weapon usage.

Truthfully though, I don't know if my interpretation of that is RAW or a house rule, but I try not to apply any type of harsh unrealistic penalties if I can help it, and since I've never had any problems learning to fast-draw something with my left hand over my right hand, I interpret that the OHWT at the weapon skill level includes fast-draw.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Truthfully though, I don't know if my interpretation of that is RAW or a house rule, but I try not to apply any type of harsh unrealistic penalties if I can help it, and since I've never had any problems learning to fast-draw something with my left hand over my right hand, I interpret that the OHWT at the weapon skill level includes fast-draw.
The text description of the Off-Hand Weapon Training Perk says "You must specialize by skill; any one-handed Melee Weapon, ranged weapon, or Fast-Draw skill qualifies."

I usually just rule that OHWT for the weapon allows off-handed Fast-Draw for that weapon also, though... otherwise, the Perks tend to add up fast enough to make Ambidexterity a better buy.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
Dinadon

Quote:
If you'll notice in the Harsh Realism box on MA p.124, the hitting someone with a -4 penalty and -2 ST for someone with Boxing skill is an optional rule, which means in the normal rules you don't apply that penalty.
Also keep in mind that it's an optional rule that's meant to apply mainly to mooks, since the PCs in those types of campaigns are supposed to get the OHWT style perk which cancels that out if they're fighting types.
Using an optional rule in one book to infer an actual rule in another book shouldn't be how you work out the rules, especially one in the core books. Whilst that box seems to indicate all unarmed skills receive the benefit of no off-hand penalty, I have yet to find anywhere in Basic that actually says that. The only place I have found anything of the sort is in the description of the Karate skill, which would imply that only Karate gets the benefits of no off-hand penalty, and the rest have to worry about the -4 to hit/-2 to parry (since the parry rules don't actually say unarmed parries ignore the off hand penalty). Even the Off-Hand Weapon Training technique in Basic gives no indication as to why it is only availible for melee weapon skills.

Whilst I love MA, and have no qualms about ignoring off-hand penalties for unarmed combatants, I do dislike the idea of having to explain a rule to players which is apparently in Basic but isn't.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #24
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Questions : Off-Hand Penalty & Unarmed Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Why would you do that? As I said, "Anything done with the off hand is at -4 to DX unless normally done with the off hand. 'Normally done with the off hand' is defined per skill, and includes using Cloak or Shield." Blocking with a shield is normal use, so the DX penalty never applies.
Ah! I get it now -- thanks!
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon
...in the description of the Karate skill...only Karate gets the benefits of no off-hand penalty, and the rest have to worry about the -4 to hit... Even the Off-Hand Weapon Training technique in Basic gives no indication as to why it is only availible for melee weapon skills.
Agreed, the RAW imply that a boxer suffers a -4 to punch with the off hand, and the Off-Hand Weapon Training technique [B232] does not list unarmed combat skills as a legal specialization. Furthermore, GURPS Martial Arts introduces the Off-Hand Weapon Training perk [MA50]--which seems to do the exact same thing as the technique at a fraction of the cost--and also does not list list unarmed combat skills as a legal specialization.

I have a Mage that has the Dehydration spell [M188], Boxing [B182], and Shortsword [B209]. Right now I'm thinking I need to take the OHWT perk for my boxing skill so I can tag somebody with a dehydrating punch at full boxing skill with my left (off) hand while still wielding my shortsword in my right. Does this seem reasonable to everyone?

On a side note, I assume that the OHWT technique has been replaced by the OHST perk. Is this correct?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 10-19-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off hand punching, off-hand punching