Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #71
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] Enter the Shadowguard - a Marvel Reboot Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
As a note

'I have incredible powers beyond ken and wish to join your fight against evil!'
' . . . . . uh . . '
'I can cook!'
'Welcome aboard!'

Was the high point

Plus the part about kneecaps
Nice... and it actually reminds me of comic books in the late 80's/early 90's. :)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #72
Phantasm

Session 7: The Ghost of Big Moose Lake, pt. 1

Before this session, Jim's player had asked for a bunch of stuff, which I let him spend his monthly income to pay for. A lot of the stuff had arrived by being dropped from orbit, landing in Big Moose Lake, up in the Adirondacks.

The session started at the newly acquired ranch house, one month later. Meatshield, Chelsea, and Mag were working out in the bunker, with Dimitri hanging out in the ranch house's kitchen with Doc and Doc's wife. Jim arrived at the ranch looking for Doc, who (because his player was AFK) was in the shower at the time. Jim basically wanted to hire Doc for assistance in retrieving the care package from the lake, and the rest of the team decided to basically tag along.

After close to five hours of driving (hitting construction outside Albany), the team pulled into Inlet, NY, about fifteen minutes or so from their destination. Seeing a place to eat - the Coffee Cup (sadly no longer there IRL, after my grandmother sold the place) - the team stopped to get some lunch. I indulged my memory, describing the place as I remembered it from my childhood, complete with the green Rust-O-Leum shamrocks spray-pained into the sidewalk in front of it. As the party entered, there were two older men at the counter as the waitress yelled into the kitchen, "Shirley, I think that's your son-in-law out there! He's asking for scrapple!" She then turned back to one of the men, a trucker, and asked, "What's scrapple?" (Remember, this is '87, and scrapple wasn't yet that well known outside of Pennsylvania Dutch areas.) The trucker failed his Compulsive Wiseass (9) self-control roll and gave a smart-assed answer including "sawdust" and "floor sweepings" as ingredients, before giving a proper answer. Shirley (the owner/cook - and my grandmother (RIP)) called out the door that she didn't have any, especially as a lot of the party was asking the waitress for it.

At this point, the seaplane service pilot also sitting at the counter, Jim Payne, remarked that when flying over Big Moose Lake earlier his plane's instruments went all crazy and that - during the day - he'd seen the local ghost walking on the surface of the lake. This of course piqued the team's curiosities, and they asked about the nature of the ghost. Payne then described the events surrounding the local ghost story, before paying his bill and heading out. The trucker soon followed suit.

Soon after, the party arrived at the lake, where an unnatural fog had rolled in mid-day. Because of the fog, the boat rental place refused to rent them a motorboat, saying that when the fog is unnaturally thick people have gone missing. As they discussed this, the fog retreated, with a woman in a white hooded cloak being seen on the lake before fading from sight.

With the fog cleared out (for the time being), half the party rented a boat and went out onto the lake, while Dimitri and Doc observed from the dock at the boat launch. Jim reconfigured his omnitool into a breathing apparatus for Meatshield, and once over the care package's transponder the two dove overboard.

While Meat and Jim were in the drink, the fog rolled back in, the "ghost" appeared and fired a warning shot at the party, telling them to "Stay away!" in unearthly tones. Chel teleported to intercept the ghost, but she went right through her, fading in and out of vision as she did so. The ghost ran to the island in the middle of the lake; Chelsea followed her to the island as the others returned to shore with the care package.

And then Chel was zapped unconscious....

-----

This arc is kind of a filler arc, not tied directly to either of the two main plots. Basically, I looked at it as equal parts team-building and Scooby Doo mystery.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 10-06-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #73
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
"What's scrapple?" (Remember, this is '87, and scrapple wasn't yet that well known outside of Pennsylvania Dutch areas.)
If I've heard of it before now, I'd completely forgotten what it was or the name. I honestly wondered if your spellchecker didn't like "Snapple" until I looked it up. XD

I also had to read up on your "local ghost story", but as you provided a link for that, I'm guessing that one doesn't come as a surprise. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #74
William

Monthly income? I thought I was paying 10 points to increase Wealth. That was way too expensive a list of stuff for his monthly income...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #75
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Monthly income? I thought I was paying 10 points to increase Wealth. That was way too expensive a list of stuff for his monthly income...
Ah, right. Either way, you got the income to match the wealth increase.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #76
Phantasm

Session 8: The Ghost of Big Moose Lake, pt 2

It turns out Chel was not zapped unconscious, but having analyzed the Ghost's shifted herself slightly out of phase with reality, becoming both invisible and intangible in the process. Looking down, she saw Ghost's gloved hand sticking out of her chest holding a stun gun. As a side effect of this shift, the world appeared much more gray-scale, save the Ghost herself.

The two talked for a bit, with Chel attempting to figure out why Ghost was trying to drive them off. As the two returned to the 'real' world, the others in the team arrived. Seeing them arriving, Ghost turned intangible (though not invisible) and started running through the underbrush, yelling out, "Start the plane! We're outta here!" On the other side of the island, a seaplane's engine started up. Mag and Meat took off after Ghost, while Jim took to the air to circle around to the plane.

Chel cast a spell, disrupting Ghost's powers, causing Ghost to run headlong into a tree she planned to pass through. Mag, being slightly faster, even in the underbrush, caught up easily, telling her, "Excuse me! Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior Cthulhu?" the moment Ghost bounced off the tree.

Meat, seeing that Mag had things well in hand with the Ghost, ran on and caught up with the plane. One super-strength powered leap later, and Meat landed on the plane's pontoon, as Jim shot at the engine with his EMP gun. Between the two of them, they stopped the plane.

Admitting defeat, Ghost admitted that she and the pilot - who she identified as "Andy" - were smuggling drugs from across the Canadian border, using the island as a safe house and short-term storage while the heat from the border patrol died down enough for them to transport it to their distributors.

At the plane, Andy exited the plane to land in the water, firing his shotgun at Meat, with the expected results (not even a scratch!).

Doc at first put forth the hare-brained conspiracy theory that the drugs were being supplied by the communists to weaken the populace for an eventual invasion, to which both Mag and Ghost were like, "Dude, what are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?" Dimitri, however, put forth the more probable theory that the drugs being smuggled were generic equivalents (due to big pharma's lobbyists making generic equivalents of many drugs illegal in the US at the time) of prescription medications. When asked about disappearances, Ghost denied being involved, but admitted there was a second crew working the route that could have been involved.

About this time, Jim and Meat dragged Andy over. Ghost didn't struggle at all while Jim applied a set of Rigellian power-dampening cuffs, though Andy struggled in Meat's arms as he was cuffed. When asked about the disappearances, Andy admitted to the kid in the wheelchair - Timmy - saying that the kid showed up on the island in a canoe and asked to be flown south, which Andy then did, flying him down to the Chesapeake. Given a time frame, Ghost denied having been part of the operation at the time.

Doc and Meat returned to the plane to search it, checking out the story. One quick search later (Doc having a Search-15), they uncovered a military duffel bag in the plane's back seat filled with drugs. While most of the drugs in the duffel were as Dimitri expected, there were also several other drugs found: marijuana, cocaine, another white powder, and two kinds of blue powder. The powders are identified as Crash, Sizzle, and Velocity: Crash being a drug that'd give a person super-strength and durability for a short time before the crash afterward rendering one near comatose, Sizzle being the early experimental version of Squelch, designed for power suppression but with a nasty side-effect of (95% of the time) burning out someone's powers, and Velocity being an adrenal intended to enhance one's speed and reflexes.

Meatshield and Chelsea angrily confronted Ghost and Andy about the drugs found, prompting Ghost to turn on her partner. At this point, the team decided to contact Agent Duncan, as Ghost offered to turn state's evidence against him. At the same time, Chel scanned Andy's mouth for a cyanide capsule; and Doc reached for a sample of the Sizzle, only to be stopped by Jim. It didn't take a genius to figure out why Doc would want a sample of the drug, and Jim is a genius, so he offered to make Doc some (generic Rigellian version of) Squelch instead.

Duncan directed the team to contact the park ranger, as it would take him two hours or more to get to the Lake. They did so, with Andy and Ghost (now unmasked) being taken into police custody. Mag - due to her past experiences - was understandably upset at both Doc and Jim.

So then the wrap-up happened: Ghost and Andy were arrested by the park ranger (my grandfather, Dana Poyer, Sr), Duncan arrived and received the evidence and statements from the team, and the buyers identified: the Romero family in the Maggia (later to become the Hammerhead family). Duncan mentioned that SHIELD was training its own team of supers - under Gyrich's supervision - one of whom was described as a "shapeshifter". (Not at all ominous, that.) Duncan finished his time with, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to read some rights to a ghost. ... I did not just say that."

And the smugglers would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling superheroes - and their dog!

-----

<+Meatshield> "How do you think the Daily Bugle will headline this?"
<+Doc> "Masked Marauders deny low cost drugs to those in need."

Last edited by Phantasm; 10-06-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #77
Phantasm

Mini 13: Who Is Meatshield?

That night while at the ranch, Meatshield relayed his past to Jim, Chel, Doc, and Mag. He revealed his real name, Anthony Madison, and that he had a criminal record from his teenage years and early 20s, handing out copies of the official police and prison records. Among the records were a few times he was dosed with Squelch while in prison.

After letting them read through the records, Meat took off his gas mask, revealing an older version of the man whose pictures were in the folders.

Afterward, with Mag still uncomfortable with the thought of power-suppression drugs, Jim offered her and the others a few neural inhibitor discs to use against him and others should the need arise. While Meat took a few, Mag was clearly uncomfortable.

-----

We wound down after that, but there's clearly more to Mag's story that needs to be told.

Still two sessions to dig through; I'll get those up eventually.

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #78
Phantasm

Sorry it took so long; could not get this particular entry worded right, and then RL hit, and we ended up completing the arc - along with a few minis - in the meantime.

Session 9: Prelude

Between the prior session and this one, Mag and Doc received new uniforms designed and built by Felicity Tone, who we based in large part on Edna Mode, right down to the "No capes!" Mag's new uniform was described as being a cross between a Roman Centurion's uniform and Xena's, with titanium composite segmented plate over the torso and a Xena/Movie!Wonder Woman style armored skirt, plus greaves and boots. Doc's new uniform, for his new "Minuteman" identity, had a more Revolutionary War feel to it, right down to the tri-corn hat, with a full-face cloth bandana obscuring his identity. Doc and Felicity, of course, were not idiots, so the uniform was designed with advanced Kevlar under the outer jacket.

The session started several days after the day trip to Big Moose Lake, and the team had just finished a sting operation on another HYDRA warehouse, this time in Brooklyn. (Spellbinder had to remark that she had the worst neighbors.) The agent in charge of this warehouse was also called "Bob". Another Bob, another cyanide capsule, and another bunch of "stay silent" paid professional criminals.

This warehouse, however, was holding crates upon crates of AIM Gauss rifles and underbarrel Gyroc launchers. Investigation of the crates and interrogation of prisoners by the party resulted in discovering the crates were intended for an address in the southern Virginia section of the Great Smoky Mountains; Dimitri's psychometry indicated that the address was a hangar of sorts.

The discovery of Gyrocs had some of the party wondering if HYDRA was pursuing the tech because of the use of hydrazine in the fuel. (Honestly, as GM, I never considered that angle, as I never looked into what Gyrocs used. o/`) Doc slipped one of the rifles into his coat as the police and FBI arrived. Naturally, the FBI agent involved was Agent Duncan. Duncan did a double-take at Doc's new outfit, then shrugged; at this point, that outfit was not the strangest thing Duncan had seen or heard.

Spellbinder and Dimitri filled in Duncan, who went to his car to radio in an agent closer to the address to check it out. Dimitri clouded himself from everyone's vision and shadowed Duncan as he called it in, and overheard Duncan getting some flak from his contact about working with the team (the party assumed it was Gyrich giving him flak; I neither confirmed nor denied that theory.)

Not long after, the team regrouped at Chel's place, where Meatshield and Jim worked to take apart and analyze the captured rifle as the team discussed their next move. Meat discovered and disabled a radio transmitter in the rifle, as well as discovering the entire stock was the battery for the rifle.

Avril Aero flew off, with Dimitri keeping track of her telepathically and feeding her visual feed to the others via an illusion, though he had to give it the mental equivalent of Standard Repair Procedure #1 ("Kick It") to get the feed to stop giving a raw binary signal. The address indicated turned out to be a sawmill on a cliff, inactive at the time due to it being a Saturday. As she approached, Avril spotted a car sitting alongside the road; running the plates with her precinct, she discovered the plates were registered as a fleet vehicle for "Standard Housing for Independent Electricians on Loan to Delaware" (clearly, a cover for SHIELD). The agent in the car gave her name as Kate, and the two women decided to investigate the sawmill.

In the small office, they discovered a thick door in the concrete floor, just barely large enough for Avril with her wings and tail to fit through. Once inside, they discovered an empty hangar, though it was quite large, with doors that opened up and down out over the cliffs.

Kate decided to stick around to keep the place under surveillance for a few more days; Avril flew off home.

... And Avril Aero has not been seen since. (Mostly due to her player having RL intrusions, but the lack of Aero has been commented on ICly at least once since.)

Last edited by Phantasm; 10-12-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #79
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Sorry it took so long; could not get this particular entry worded right, and then RL hit, and we ended up completing the arc - along with a few minis - in the meantime.
Well, you know that this glass house ain't throwing any bricks...
Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #80
Phantasm

Session 10: Aliens Invade Planet Dirt

Two months had passed since the hangar was discovered. The team spent the time seeking out and interfering with HYDRA's warehouses and plans - at least two warehouses a week - and got better at making sure the Bobs failed to bite their cyanide capsules. (And no, not all of them were named "Bob", but at this point it had become standard by the party to refer to the warehouse foreman as "Bob" after the first two.)

One thing the party did learn is that the Supreme HYDRA and Madame HYDRA, the org's leaders, are very good at compartmentalization. None of the Agents Bob in charge of the warehouse knew what the guns and ammunition they were storing were for. One of the Bobs mentioned a "Secret Empire" and a "Fourth Reich" in his ranting, though there was little to go on besides the name.

As the weapons are all AIM manufacture, and AIM is a public corporation, the idea that the team should talk with someone at AIM's manufacturing plant came up; it was then mentioned that the Feds would already have done so, but due to sales being to shell companies of shell companies of shell companies whose records are stored in offshore accounts where the Feds have no jurisdiction, they were stymied. The amounts of armaments involved were staggering, however; invasion-level stuff.

And then without warning, giant saucers a kilometer in diameter appeared over the skies of several cities: New York City; Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; Washington, DC; London, England; Paris, France; Bonn, West Germany; and Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. As the saucers appeared, all the television signals switched to a purple-skinned alien face with no mouth, which delivered an ultimatum: "ATTENTION, DENIZENS OF PLANET DIRT. WE ARE THE GEHANEIACTIX. YOU HAVE ONE ROTATION OF THIS PLANET TO SURRENDER YOURSELVES TO OUR CONTROL. THIS IS NOT A WARNING."

Jim immediately stated that there was no such species or nation in interstellar space known as "Gehaneiactix". One of his bodies immediately lit off for a news station to set the record straight. In the meantime, Meatshield identified the saucers are using tech based on Tesla's theories, including coil levitation and bleed-off magnetism. As the group discussed options, the holo-communicator in the bunker flickered to life, with the hologram of Captain Britain (Sir James Braddock, the father of the current comics Captain Britain) popping up. It seems Jim's fourth mobile body had shared contact information with the Super-Heroes of Europe (yes, they're canon; in the Reboot, they've been operating in Western Europe since the Berlin Wall went up). Captain Britain asked the team for what they knew/suspected, and assured them that his team would handle the three saucers in Europe, indicating that Le Femme Fantastique (Fantastic Woman, France's homegrown hero - a Wonder Woman expy) was pushing for a more direct confrontation. Meanwhile, Spellbinder contacted Namora, who indicated that she and King Namor of Atlantis were headed for the saucer in Rio with a contingent of Atlantean soldiers.

At the television news station, Starbot gave a live interview with April Thomas, one of the reporters who covered the Liberator attack. (I was gonna use April O'Neill, but I didn't want to pull in from sources the Mouse doesn't yet own.) Starbot delivered a live speech which outed himself as an alien AI and his peaceful intentions, assuring the people of Earth that the 'alien saucers' were not actually aliens.

The news cut to footage of a few F-111 and F-15 squadrons launching their ordnance at the saucer sitting over DC. The missiles impacted uselessly against the saucers' magnetic force fields; seconds later, lightning shot from the field to destroy the jets.

Back at the ranch bunker, the team prepped for their assault trip. Dimitri scanned the New York saucer and discovered the minds of "hundreds if not thousands" of people on board, although most of them were "inactive".

The team gathered outside the bunker to teleport into the New York saucer, figuring that after they took care of the nearest one they'd work on the others. Spellbinder wrapped the group in a black Darkforce bubble. (At which point the power went out due to a tree limb bouncing off a nearby power line! Spell's player had rolled a critical failure - an 18 on her Space skill - just before that, and quipped when I got back a few minutes later that she rolled worse than expected. Something fought her as she dropped the team into the Darkforce Dimension, which was described as an inky pitch blackness with a hungry cold that threatened to devour them.

Several minutes later, the team arrived in a lab that looked like a cross between a Star Trek (original series) med bay and a dieselpunk mad scientist's lab. Bodies lay on rows of medical tables, each of them looking like they'd had parts of their bodies and a sizable chunk of their brains replaced. The team was as expected slightly unnerved by the sight. Dimitri scanned the saucer, determining that only ten "active" minds existed on it, in the center of the saucer.

Moments later, all the !Borg drones sat up and grabbed their rifles as one....

-----

JSYK, this is part one of what turned out to be an 8-part arc, not counting a tie-in mini and the previous prelude. It'll take me a few days to type up everything.

Tags
marvel, supers