Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #31
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Spaceships] [High-Tech] [Action] Cydonia Or Bust, TL8

Okay, some replies are in order.

First, I must re-emphasise that this is a thought experiment, not a case from a campaign. Notably, I'm not specifying why the team has to enter the complex. A capture is a good one, but sufficient hardening against an external explosion might be another reason.

Regarding secrets and not: the idea is that humanity is sufficiently informed and motivated that several large states (and many smaller ones) are willing to dedicate significant parts of their budgets to the project, but not motivated enough for them to, say, scrap all military spending and use them on the Cydonia Or Bust project instead.

Regarding the return trip: given the grittiness of the original setting, a one-way trip seems appropriate; on the other, Armageddon gives us a precedent of a story where a return trip is at least hoped for. Since the primary concern about a return trip is in the shipbuilding section, I guess we can examine both variants.

On available technologies: specifically anything that is considered TL8 or less, and neither Superscience nor Divergent, is fair game. Thus Ion Drives are fair game, and use SS stats. This also means that growing food is not a major undertaking. Of personal gear, High-Tech and whatever else is TL8 or less, as above.

Now, on actual numbers:
12mps is the amount required for an Earth-Mars trip in 6 months.
3.1mps is the required amount for a Mars take-off.
As per SS1p40, Mars Landing will require 0.1mps×0.38==0.038mps per attempt.

So, the lander needs something around 4mps of ΔV and at least about ½G of acceleration for a two-way trip.
The travel module will require 24mps for the round trip, and has to be put into space somehow (not necessarily by a single launch - being delivered piece by piece and assembled might end up more efficient, I'm not sure).

The solutions for the lander I'm seeing: A single-stage SM+9 craft actually seems attractive.
External Pulsed Plasma (2G, 3mps/tank), two tanks of nuclear bombs for it,
Ion Drive (0.0005G), 7 fuel tanks for it (total 25mps),
4 rear armour plates (Metalic Laminate), 2 more for front and centre, unstreamlined.
Control Room, Open Space (0.1 Acres), Habitat (20 cabins).
Total cost under $100M, but needs to be refueled after reaching Terran orbit (6mps of nukes should probably be enough to bring it into an orbit stable enough for the first refuel, then break orbit, then refuel again).
Yes, a secondary support craft seems to be needed for this launch (a two-stage would probably be too expensive). But if all else fails, 1 or half a tank worth of Ionisables can be traded for 1 or ½ a tank of nukes, increasing flight time but easing launch.

---------------------------

So, given the extra problem of 6months in flight, how would the team be prepared and equipped?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Notably, I'm not specifying why the team has to enter the complex. A capture is a good one, but sufficient hardening against an external explosion might be another reason.
You also seem to be assuming that Earth has quite detailed information about the target, enough to plan a special-ops mission. Explaining how that information was obtained and what the opposition is expected to be would help, given that the stakes are so high.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #33
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You also seem to be assuming that Earth has quite detailed information about the target, enough to plan a special-ops mission. Explaining how that information was obtained and what the opposition is expected to be would help, given that the stakes are so high.
You could explain much of it together. A traitor from the Martian base could:

A) give them the intel they need to plan the mission
B) give them the craft they need to get there
C) explain why they need to enter the facility (to get the alien tech in so he can shut down the Earth Blower-Upper Machine)

If you absolutely need a big mission, it could be cover for the launch of the alien ship. He crashed to Earth after the aliens thought they had destroyed his craft. If they just relaunch, they'll be spotted and will have no hope of surprise. Launch at the same time as the public mission to Mars, and you can get there several months before the aliens expect an unarmed group of scientists and test pilots.

Last edited by RyanW; 06-13-2012 at 05:59 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #34
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
There is one parameter that's bugging me.
Does the team need to return?
I would assume not. It's not the policy of the U.S. armed forces to enlist people for suicide missions, but they may make an exception here. It does simplify the mission considerably.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
I would assume not.
I would assume yes, just because it's so very hard to justify a manned non-capture mission (anything that can survive the number of nukes you can fit in the same mass and price budget as a manned mission isn't a target you can take out with a commando team).
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #36
mindstalk

If there's a time limit, the initial mission might be designed as non-return but survive, with hopes of sending return capability later if they're successful. So you send supplies and recyclers, rather than a way to launch off of Mars right away. And if they're lucky, maybe they'd be able to used captured Martian tech for that.
mindstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #37
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
. . . It's not the policy of the U.S. armed forces to enlist people for suicide missions, but they may make an exception here. . .
1.) Why does the launching nation have to be the USA?

2.) If the survival of humanity requires this sacrifice why not use either a.) kamikaze volunteers? or b.) kamikaze foreign mercenaries? Might add some interesting non-combat conflict.

"Here's the deal. If you go on this one-way mission, your large family all get to become US citizens."

Some guys would take this option. Not saying it's right, but for the sake of argument, let's assume some folks in the US government are both cynical and manipulative enough to offer this deal. (I know it's a stretch, but I'd hope that the players would be willing to overlook the obvious impossibility of this.)
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cydonia or bust, high-tech, spaceships, x-com