Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
lostrobertsandwich

Default UT Sealed Combat Armor questions

Hi Guys,

I've just got a couple of questions about the Combat Hardsuit and Space Armor listed on pp.179 of Ultra-Tech.

-Neither type of armor lists a Power stat, yet they all have Microclimate control systems and biomedical monitors built-in. Is this an error/oversight? Or is the power usage negligible/provided some other way?

-Does the Space Armor have built in air tanks or not? The Hardsuit specifically states that they it does not have air tanks built in, and that they have to be added in order to breathe in a hazardous environment; other items, like the Skin Suit, also specifically state that they do not include air tanks. The Space Armor, however, doesn't say either way and I'm a little confused by this - if it's designed to operate in vacuum, surely they would be built in?
lostrobertsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: UT Sealed Combat Armor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostrobertsandwich View Post
-Neither type of armor lists a Power stat, yet they all have Microclimate control systems and biomedical monitors built-in. Is this an error/oversight? Or is the power usage negligible/provided some other way?
That does look like an oversight. It's not mentioned in the Errata, so I'd just use the Power stats for the equivalent-TL Vacc Suits (2C lasting 24 hrs TL9, 36 hrs TL10, 48 hrs TL11, 72 hrs TL12).

Quote:
-Does the Space Armor have built in air tanks or not? The Hardsuit specifically states that they it does not have air tanks built in, and that they have to be added in order to breathe in a hazardous environment; other items, like the Skin Suit, also specifically state that they do not include air tanks. The Space Armor, however, doesn't say either way and I'm a little confused by this - if it's designed to operate in vacuum, surely they would be built in?
Because it doesn't say that it includes air tanks, I think you should assume it doesn't come with them. The key difference between the Combat Hard Suit and the Space Armor is that the Space version is pressurized, allowing operation in a vacuum. The hardsuit is merely sealed (with the inclusion of a helmet, of course). That accounts for the cost and weight difference; the air tanks are extra, for either suit.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
lostrobertsandwich

Because it doesn't say that it includes air tanks, I think you should assume it doesn't come with them.

That's what I was thinking, but...

That accounts for the cost and weight difference; the air tanks are extra, for either suit.

See, that's where I got stumped; I'm looking at it, and it's a clear 15 lbs. more for the Space Armor (with the same DR as the HardSuit), which, to me, looks like it would be the weight of a Smart Vacc Suit, and therefore include air tanks.
lostrobertsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
That accounts for the cost and weight difference; the air tanks are extra, for either suit.

See, that's where I got stumped; I'm looking at it, and it's a clear 15 lbs. more for the Space Armor (with the same DR as the HardSuit), which, to me, looks like it would be the weight of a Smart Vacc Suit, and therefore include air tanks.
Well, you've got a point there. If you want to rule that in your game the Space Armor includes the same 12-hour air tank as the Smart Vacc Suit, it shouldn't upset game balance.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Tzeentch

Quote:
-- This is intentional. Note the number of armor suits that have climate control but no Power stat. Power requirements are pretty negligible, especially at TL9+, and you could assume a built-in battery is sufficient for normal use. A Power stat differentiates those suits that use extensive active control systems.
Extra Detail: It was 5 watts per level of Temperature Tolerance in the old drafts, which was derived from power consumption for TL8 microclimate systems.
-- Assume the biomonitor has an internal A cell like the biomonitor bracelet (Ultra-Tech, p. 197).
Quote:
-- This appears to be an error. As noted, the extra weight and cost implies that it is a Combat Hardsuit worn over a Smart Vacc Suit. Indeed, I would go with that and reduce the cost of the Space Armor by $5,000.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
Extra Detail: It was 5 watts per level of Temperature Tolerance in the old drafts, which was derived from power consumption for TL8 microclimate systems.
Realistically, the cost isn't linear (operating at theoretical limits its quadratic; realistic performance is going to be inconsistent but usually somewhere in between linear and quadratic).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Tzeentch

-- Aye, the assumption was that you wouldn't be taking say, 100 levels of Temperature Tolerance and chuckling that it only required 0.5 kW. IMO it was for the best that tracking power consumption was canned in Ultra-Tech.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Trixbat

Don't forget to always use the the paperback version of UT - that has the errata some of which was updated elsewhere when I last checked. (Not sure if it has now...)
Trixbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, ultra tech, ultra-tech