Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #521
PTTG

Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

If the colonies were manufacturing and selling drugs, don't you think that the UK would try to tax the hell out of them? And when that didn't work, would ban illegal trade of them?

So in this worldline, the restriction on trading in psychoactive substances was a major factor in the revolutionary war, and was fresh on the minds of the founders.

There was probably other weirdness that lead to a vast diversity of substances in the new world's economy.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #522
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The whiskey rebellion is about taxes, not prohibition. I don't believe anybody in the 18th century taxed hashish.

My point is that until the 19th century, most governments don't regulate drugs at all, let alone ban recreational use of them. It's a weird aberration of the 20th century (much like prohibition I suppose). It doesn't take a constitutional amendment for it not to happen.
Fun fact. While the British didn't engage in prohibition of alcohol as such, they did try to keep it out of the hands of the lower classes by using taxation to make it prohibitively expensive.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #523
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Fun fact. While the British didn't engage in prohibition of alcohol as such, they did try to keep it out of the hands of the lower classes by using taxation to make it prohibitively expensive.
Given human nature, I would guess that this resulted in illegal or loophole-abusing alcohol manufacture/distribution until they stopped... as well as common folk just sucking it up and paying the outrageous cost, since they did have a convenient way to get it legally, unlike folk in the US during Prohibition.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:55 AM   #524
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
May as well let Puerto Rico become a US state and the Turks and Caicos a Canadian province while you're at it.
Yes! Why not?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:20 AM   #525
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Was that actually a goal, or a side effect of wanting to raise money?
Lots of states taxed for example salt (which everyone used) for the money, not because they wanted to restrict use. Liquor excise taxes were a big deal everywhere - one side effect of Prohibition in the US was that a lot of jurisdictions lost half their tax revenues overnight, and many states seized on the fairly new idea of income taxes to replace them.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #526
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
The Michelin star system would fit quite tidily with an additional star.
* "A very good restaurant in its category"
** "Excellent cooking, worth a detour"
*** "Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey"
**** "Beyond exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey to another world"
It occurs to me that some tourists would travel to various echoes to eat at famous restaurants when they were truly great. From the 1930s to the late 1960s Maxine's had the reputation of being the best restaurant on the Earth. There are other famous dinning establishments worth visiting too.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #527
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
It occurs to me that some tourists would travel to various echoes to eat at famous restaurants when they were truly great. .
You need to make package tours. For example for New York in the early 30s you spend the afternoon at Yankee stadium watching Babe Ruth hit a home run, then eat at some fantastic restaurant and then finish the night seeing Duke Ellington at the Cotton Club.

For your Maxine's trip you could use Josephine Baker for your closer but I'm not so sure what's in the lead off position.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #528
Astromancer

Here's an interesting valuable. The rules of Ancient Egyptian games. Senet looks cool, but what are the real rules? Is Mehen fun?

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #529
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Here's an interesting valuable. The rules of Ancient Egyptian games. Senet looks cool, but what are the real rules? Is Mehen fun?
Oooh, yeah, stuff like that could be interesting. Same with what the rules actually were for the Mesoamerican ballgame (all we have are educated guesses). I'm not sure how monetarily valuable such would be, however, unless you're somehow able to monopolize it and it really takes off.

(While I've only seen the Abridged version, I believe "Ancient Egyptian game made into a modern sensation" is the basis for "Duel Monsters" in the Yu-Gi-Oh show)
Old 11-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #530
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Was that actually a goal, or a side effect of wanting to raise money?
Don't know if this is what David J was referring to, but the famous Gin Craze of the 1700s triggered several peices of legislation aimed at curbing the public menace of widespread addiction. It definitely had a classist element because the concern was the visible poor committing various outrages while guzzling rotgut gin, not the wealthy doing the same thing in more rarified locations. It wasn't about revenue as such, though I'm sure that was a side benefit, but rather social engineering.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds