Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: [IW] Apocalyptic World, Maya-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGurper View Post
All in all I don't think an EMP type effect would bring civilization to a coping halt.
It's becoming a traditional disaster convention though. It's at least as reasonable as worlds where civilization dies from oil eating bacteria or a wildfire rate cross genus plague that kills every known crop plant. And way, way more convincing than the Gotha plagues as presented in the IW book.

Yes real pulse events are pretty much limited to killing sensitive electronics connected to antennas (radio, radar, and integrated circuit stuff with relatively long bits of cabling between them and the last circuit breaker), with electrical stuff being down only until somebody resets the breakers, and most electronics being fixable by replacing the lost chips with stuff from the nearest repair shop (stuff in a package isn't connected to a long wire to pick up energy from the pulse). But you ignore that for these scenarios. And yes for half of the planet there is this giant mass of rock shielding protecting the electronics. You ignore that too.

I will say that any flare this intense probably should cause some radiation effects even at sea level. Even if you don't want to have a big chunk of the dayside population dying of radiation poisoning, lots of plants and animals are less radiation tolerant than humans.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
Phantasm

Default Re: [IW] Apocalyptic World, Maya-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Yes real pulse events are pretty much limited to killing sensitive electronics connected to antennas (radio, radar, and integrated circuit stuff with relatively long bits of cabling between them and the last circuit breaker), with electrical stuff being down only until somebody resets the breakers, and most electronics being fixable by replacing the lost chips with stuff from the nearest repair shop (stuff in a package isn't connected to a long wire to pick up energy from the pulse). But you ignore that for these scenarios. And yes for half of the planet there is this giant mass of rock shielding protecting the electronics. You ignore that too.
Plus, it doesn't have to be limited to a single flare; a series of flares over a few days' time would affect more of the planet.

And I kinda liked the image of several square miles of sensitive electronics going up in flames, unrealistic as it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I will say that any flare this intense probably should cause some radiation effects even at sea level. Even if you don't want to have a big chunk of the dayside population dying of radiation poisoning, lots of plants and animals are less radiation tolerant than humans.
This is plausible, given that I have the flare "weakening" Earth's magnetic field. And who's to say that many of the dead are solely due to exposure? Yeah, it looks as though the deaths were due to exposure, but can the average person really tell the difference between "exposure to the elements" and "radiation poisoning" when it's happening without medical instrumentation?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds