Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [INFINITE WORLDS] "In-Character", explain the conveyer & projector thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar
Here's the idea :

Player characters are outtimers who are on the verge of being recruited by Infinity or an ISWAT group.

How would an NPC (good guy) explain the whole Conveeyer and Projector deal ? and the Quanta level thing?

If it was YOUR campaign - how would you do that it in-character?

..or some kind of "GMPC" has to explain that to player characters caught up in a suituation that involves crosstime travel.

How do you get the PCs to decide to join in or take sides?
What stakes would be BIG enough to get you to hop timelines??

- Ed Charlton
"We have found a way to move through time. Not forward or backwards but sideways."

"We have found parallel universes, places where time went a bit differently, sometimes it might be as simple as a world where some company used a green background for their logo instead of a blue one, sometimes it might be a place where a major change occured, Napoleon being killed at Toulon so the French revolution never spawned Napoleon's Empire and broke up into Civil war in the early 1800s where the other European powers came in and brought France to Heel, dividing it into several protectorates run by Austria, England and Naples-Sciily."

"And sometimes it gets downright weird. Places where magic exists, or science doesn't work the same, there's a place where silicon chips don't work but broadcast power that is too cheap to meter does. It's got flying cars, ray guns, atomic powered rockets for Space Travel, but you need a slide rule to do the engineering calculations. And it's 1965 there."

"Finding these places is hard work. You can't, at least yet, punch in things you're looking for in a world, push a button and get to that world. Exploring them is harder work. Dealing with dangerous worlds is much harder. One of the big reasons we're recruiting for the very best we can find on dozens of different worlds."

"Now you have a bunch of paralles all together and we named the 'place' they're in a 'Quantum'. There are parallel Quantums too. 'Quanta'."

"Quanta Theory, as opposed to Quantum Theory, seems to by a form of physics that works on only two known worlds so far. Without it the physics of traveling within a Quanta to other parallels doesn't seem to be discoverable."

"This ship over there works in your universe. But without the phenomena that are observable in a universe where Quanta theory works, developing that tech or even a theoretical basis for such devices don't get found."

"Working Quantum crossing projectors don't work in your universe. Wish they did, we could go further than we can. Our physicists count our quantum as five. Yours is seven, and we can't get higher than 7 or lower than 3. The other guys with this tech Centrum, yeah, like the vitamins, are on 8 they get get to six and presumably reach 10."

"Centrum agents were the guys you people just blew to kingdom come. They're fanatics out to impose their form of government on the rest of existence. They've been supplying arms and technology to the Haitian Empire. They figure a world run by the Duvalier dynasty will be easier to amend to their way of doing things in oh, a generation or two."

"So here's our pitch. Centrum is doing a lot of bad things all over Q7 and Q6 and we've got crazies on Q3 who don't use parachonic tech but do cross universal and quantum borders. They got a lot in common with the Duvaliers as a matter of fact except they're wiping out Jews and non-whites. We need your help. Short term, we can help you keep the Haitians out of the Manitoban Republic. Long term, maybe you can drive them back to the old Confederate States of America borders and pick up the old USA as a buffer state. But from time to time, we may need your special forces unit for other work in other worlds."
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [INFINITE WORLDS] "In-Character", explain the conveyer & projector thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie
Curious, why would Infinity or ISWAT, recruit these outtimers if the PCs don't have SOME idea of multiple timelines.

If the PCs DO know about multiple timelines explain the conveyors and projectors are machines which enable the movement of people and things between these alternate timelines.

Quanta are artificial constructs to explain WHY travel is more or less difficult to travel to some worlds then others.

What kind of world are the PCs from? What TL?
ISWAT's upper ranks seem to be outtimers. Certainly the entire ISWAT team that is the iconics in the Basic set are. The fact that ISWAT is run by an Otto Skorzeny who despises what the Nazis on most worlds did to their worlds (unstated but hinted: He's from an Earth where the Nazi purged the crazies and became a strong largely benevolent force for civilization).
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 12-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
"But from time to time, we may need your special forces unit for other work in other worlds."
Nice <thumb up>

You might also have a good career in Liaison.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Captain-Captain,
That was VERY good - just the kind of thing that I was looking for.
I could even picture possible character actors saying that speech - Michael Ironside in a mellow mood playing a good guy, Brian Thompson would make sense, so would Robert Patrick, Adam Baldwin even, maybe Steven Culp.

Anyone else wanna give that a go ?

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; 06-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
younglorax

I have a very limited knowledge of Infinite Worlds (a little more than your PCs would have.. I've once played a TL3 game that spontaneously turned infinite-worlds on us, but we didn't have how it worked explained at all).

Given that, three paragraphs of Captain-Captain's answer lost me (although I think I get it now, having read it a couple times):

Quote:
"Quanta Theory, as opposed to Quantum Theory, seems to by a form of physics that works on only two known worlds so far. Without it the physics of traveling within a Quanta to other parallels doesn't seem to be discoverable."

"This ship over there works in your universe. But without the phenomena that are observable in a universe where Quanta theory works, developing that tech or even a theoretical basis for such devices don't get found."

"Working Quantum crossing projectors don't work in your universe. Wish they did, we could go further than we can. Our physicists count our quantum as five. Yours is seven, and we can't get higher than 7 or lower than 3. The other guys with this tech Centrum, yeah, like the vitamins, are on 8 they get get to six and presumably reach 10."
So, if you want your PCs to actually know what's going on (beyond "okay, so there's, like, some kind of limit, and it's really technical"), then you might wanna dumb that down some.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Lorax,

Try to imagine Tommy Lee Jones or Powers Boothe hiving that little sppech - with their normal inflections when they're hamming it up in a character part.

Pictured or acted like that .....my player characters might "get it".

Still would love more examples of this. What if it was Sigourney Weaver or Katee Sackhoff playing the Infinity patrol member explaining this stuff to the newbies? (Michelle Rodriguez in military gear? Judi Doench? , Helen Mirren? Condi Rice?)

- Ed Charlton

Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #17
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
(unstated but hinted: He's from an Earth where the Nazi purged the crazies and became a strong largely benevolent force for civilization).
Quick correction: he's actually from a world where there aren't any Nazis - He's established to be from Aeolus (Infinite Worlds, p.18), a parallel with rather different European politics.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
Greystar

Quote:
Lorax,

Try to imagine Tommy Lee Jones or Powers Boothe hiving that little sppech - with their normal inflections when they're hamming it up in a character part.

Still would love more examples of this. What if it was Sigourney Weaver or Katee Sackhoff playing the Infinity patrol member explaining this stuff to the newbies? (Michelle Rodriguez in military gear? Judi Doench? , Helen Mirren? Condi Rice?)

- Ed Charlton
I could picture it being done by Sean Connery or Patrick Stewart as well... or what's his name the player Richer (ST:tNG).
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystar
I could picture it being done by Sean Connery or Patrick Stewart as well... or what's his name the player Richer (ST:tNG).

If you meant Cmmander Riker - that was Jonathan Frakes (who these days, mostly looks for directing jobs)

- Ed Charlton

Old 12-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #20
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Lorax,

- Ed Charlton
Try Kathleen Hendrix, who plays the medical examiner in all of the Law & Order shows. She can crack wise with the best of 'em.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Tags
infinite worlds