Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Adelus

Default [RPM] Gate Anchors, Diagon Alley, and other questions.

Just had a few things on my mind after discussing some RPM spell effects with a player, and wanted some clarification or opinions.
  1. How are Gates "anchored?" Do you have to place them static relative to some celestial frame of reference, or can they be say - placed so that one end is at a static location and the other is anchored to something moving - like a door in a train car that leads back and forth to a safe house somewhere else. How do gates with mobile anchors work considering the distance can fluctuate, if they even work at all? What does this mean for things like using Gates as teleportation means for starships or the like?
  2. How would you create an effect like that used for Harry Potter's Diagon Alley? There's a ward of some kind on most Wizarding World locations that keep muggles away, but it also masks itself from detection by surveys, direct observation, etc.
  3. Related to the last one, can Crossroad effects be used to affect distances in an area? Like say, make a 100 yard long football field technically larger once within its bounds, or even smaller? That is, can Crossroad effects locally warp space and distance?
  4. What effects and modifiers are appropriate for conjuring temporary shelters out of magic compared to fabricating shelters out of local materials. Additionally, how would you go about modifying those shelters for certain specific purposes, like: Heat tolerance, pressure resistance, etc. I know that for one example (the Create Pocket Dimension one) Create Matter is used to provide air; can Create Energy provide electricity in the field coupled with a shelter?

Thaaaaat is all I have at the moment.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Gate Anchors, Diagon Alley, and other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
  1. How are Gates "anchored?" Do you have to place them static relative to some celestial frame of reference, or can they be say - placed so that one end is at a static location and the other is anchored to something moving - like a door in a train car that leads back and forth to a safe house somewhere else. How do gates with mobile anchors work considering the distance can fluctuate, if they even work at all? What does this mean for things like using Gates as teleportation means for starships or the like?
I'd say this depends on the mechanics of your setting, but I treat them as static with a Lesser Control Crossroads effect allowing them to move with a mobile structure.

Quote:
  1. How would you create an effect like that used for Harry Potter's Diagon Alley? There's a ward of some kind on most Wizarding World locations that keep muggles away, but it also masks itself from detection by surveys, direct observation, etc.
That's not a gating effect actually. That's a straight up Greater Control Mind effect. I'd call such a thing a "Perception Warding" and use the rules for Wards, but treat the Quick Contest to get past it Perception or Will vs. its Power. Success means you see through it for one second and reduce its Power by 1. It probably as wizards constantly refreshing the thing or has been cast at such a high level (25 or more) that it's impossible for muggles to see through it at all.

Quote:
  1. Related to the last one, can Crossroad effects be used to affect distances in an area? Like say, make a 100 yard long football field technically larger once within its bounds, or even smaller? That is, can Crossroad effects locally warp space and distance?
Yes. Absolutely. Add both Speed and Range of equal parts to increase the total area within the "warped space" zone.

Quote:
  1. What effects and modifiers are appropriate for conjuring temporary shelters out of magic compared to fabricating shelters out of local materials. Additionally, how would you go about modifying those shelters for certain specific purposes, like: Heat tolerance, pressure resistance, etc. I know that for one example (the Create Pocket Dimension one) Create Matter is used to provide air; can Create Energy provide electricity in the field coupled with a shelter?
Create Matter would let you conjure something from nothing, while Control Matter would let you build it from local materials. And you could absolutely use Create Energy to provide energy for your smartphone while hiding out in an pocket dimension.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Adelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd say this depends on the mechanics of your setting, but I treat them as static with a Lesser Control Crossroads effect allowing them to move with a mobile structure.
Mm. I like this; instead of making a Gate to Proxima Centauri, one could send a probe with a Gate on it that was only a couple yards from it's other end, and just keep the Gate maintained until it reaches its destination. I also have other ideas, involving portable door frames and other such devices. Would you need a Lesser Control Crossroads for each of the two gates separately, I.E. to create something with two mobile ends?

Quote:
That's not a gating effect actually. That's a straight up Greater Control Mind effect. I'd call such a thing a "Perception Warding" and use the rules for Wards, but treat the Quick Contest to get past it Perception or Will vs. its Power. Success means you see through it for one second and reduce its Power by 1. It probably as wizards constantly refreshing the thing or has been cast at such a high level (25 or more) that it's impossible for muggles to see through it at all.
I figured the perception ward wasn't a gating effect, but related to the next one, I figured there was some manner of space warping going on to prevent it from showing up in photographs and aerial surveys.

Quote:
Yes. Absolutely. Add both Speed and Range of equal parts to increase the total area within the "warped space" zone.
So, following this, I just threw this Ritual together. Does this look legit to you then? :)

Quote:
Clown Car
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Sense Matter + Lesser Control Matter + Greater Create Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 2 (×5).

This ritual is usually cast on a vehicle - and savings can be had by casting it on very small vehicles.
When applied to a vehicle, it warps space and creates matter, giving it extra interior space equal to a 5 yard radius area and up to 1,000 lbs. worth of new internal parts suitable for seating, based on the quality and designs already present within. These include: Seats, seat belts, etc.
The vehicle also receives a bit of magical lightening to counter-act the weight of the new additions and possibly some of its passengers and cargo, but this does not improve its base statistics in any way.
The typical casting lasts a week - long enough for a usual road trip.

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Sense Matter (2) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Greater Create Matter (6) + Range, 2 yds (0) + Speed, 2 yds/second (0) + Subject Weight, 5 tons (6) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4) + Duration, 1 week (9). 210 energy (42×5).
Quote:
Create Matter would let you conjure something from nothing, while Control Matter would let you build it from local materials. And you could absolutely use Create Energy to provide energy for your smartphone while hiding out in an pocket dimension.
Excellent, thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Mm. I like this; instead of making a Gate to Proxima Centauri, one could send a probe with a Gate on it that was only a couple yards from it's other end, and just keep the Gate maintained until it reaches its destination. I also have other ideas, involving portable door frames and other such devices. Would you need a Lesser Control Crossroads for each of the two gates separately, I.E. to create something with two mobile ends?
Yeah, that's what I've done. The PC that first ever to do this in my game decided to create a small portal in the gas tank of multiple cars to a gas tanker so they never had to stop driving. It was quite clever.

Quote:
I figured the perception ward wasn't a gating effect, but related to the next one, I figured there was some manner of space warping going on to prevent it from showing up in photographs and aerial surveys.
You could do that, but I'd assume they'd have a single spell up to deal with that - something related to illusions or holograms.

Quote:
Clown Car
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Sense Matter + Lesser Control Matter + Greater Create Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 2 (×5).

This ritual is usually cast on a vehicle - and savings can be had by casting it on very small vehicles.
When applied to a vehicle, it warps space and creates matter, giving it extra interior space equal to a 5 yard radius area and up to 1,000 lbs. worth of new internal parts suitable for seating, based on the quality and designs already present within. These include: Seats, seat belts, etc.
The vehicle also receives a bit of magical lightening to counter-act the weight of the new additions and possibly some of its passengers and cargo, but this does not improve its base statistics in any way.
The typical casting lasts a week - long enough for a usual road trip.

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Sense Matter (2) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Greater Create Matter (6) + Range, 2 yds (0) + Speed, 2 yds/second (0) + Subject Weight, 5 tons (6) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4) + Duration, 1 week (9). 210 energy (42×5).
No idea where the Sense Matter effect is in there or the Control Matter either. You just need the Crossroads effect (to bend space) and the Matter effect to create the seatbelts, seats, etc. You'll also need to make a Mechanic (Automobile) roll because you created items. I'd probably call it around -2 or -3.

Quote:
Excellent, thanks!
:-)

Become a Patron!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Adelus

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I've done. The PC that first ever to do this in my game decided to create a small portal in the gas tank of multiple cars to a gas tanker so they never had to stop driving. It was quite clever.
That is genius and I am stealing this idea forever.

Quote:
You could do that, but I'd assume they'd have a single spell up to deal with that - something related to illusions or holograms.
Makes sense.

Quote:
No idea where the Sense Matter effect is in there or the Control Matter either. You just need the Crossroads effect (to bend space) and the Matter effect to create the seatbelts, seats, etc. You'll also need to make a Mechanic (Automobile) roll because you created items. I'd probably call it around -2 or -3.
The Control Matter + 1,000 lbs. subject weight is to represent a sort of magical lightening to help move at least that much weight of the car, to counteract the 1,000 lbs. worth of new gear added into it. I figured that couldn't be covered by a single effect, and without it the car's load would still increase - this is to counteract the extra load.

The Sense Matter follows the same guidelines as in the grimoire spell Duplicate Object - it reads and copies the stylings and materials of existing seating and such in the vehicle and replicates them. I figured that addition would allow you to forgo the Mechanic (Automobile) roll or lessen its penalty.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
That is genius and I am stealing this idea forever.
My best friend doesn't know how to think inside the box. >__>

Quote:
The Control Matter + 1,000 lbs. subject weight is to represent a sort of magical lightening to help move at least that much weight of the car, to counteract the 1,000 lbs. worth of new gear added into it. I figured that couldn't be covered by a single effect, and without it the car's load would still increase - this is to counteract the extra load.
Ahh, ok. That makes perfect sense.

Quote:
The Sense Matter follows the same guidelines as in the grimoire spell Duplicate Object - it reads and copies the stylings and materials of existing seating and such in the vehicle and replicates them. I figured that addition would allow you to forgo the Mechanic (Automobile) roll or lessen its penalty.
No, when you Create manufactured products you have to make a roll to create it. Raw materials - not so much.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:24 AM   #7
Adelus

Quote:
No, when you Create manufactured products you have to make a roll to create it. Raw materials - not so much.
Ah, right. Checked Create on T:RPM16 and there it was.

One additional question: When you add Speed and Range for space-warping effects, how is that treated? Does that give you a diameter or radius? Is it cylindrical, spherical...?

Just trying to figure out how much area is needed to increase the interior of an RV and provide enough room to act as a small mobile base for a band of black magic practitioners on the run.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:42 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Ah, right. Checked Create on T:RPM16 and there it was.
Ja.

Quote:
One additional question: When you add Speed and Range for space-warping effects, how is that treated? Does that give you a diameter or radius? Is it cylindrical, spherical...?
That's an excellent point that I've never thought of nor was it covered by the rules really. In fact, rereading the rules and some notes I gave you bad information - I apologize - you'll need to use Area of Effect, not Speed/Range if you're adding more space to something. In GURPS, area is usually a circle radius and goes up 4 feet (it's in GURPS Powers somewhere). Speed/Range is usually added for shortcut types spells or when moving things over distance.

Quote:
Just trying to figure out how much area is needed to increase the interior of an RV and provide enough room to act as a small mobile base for a band of black magic practitioners on the run.
Ahhh, neat.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #9
Adelus

Quote:
That's an excellent point that I've never thought of nor was it covered by the rules really. In fact, rereading the rules and some notes I gave you bad information - I apologize - you'll need to use Area of Effect, not Speed/Range if you're adding more space to something. In GURPS, area is usually a circle radius and goes up 4 feet (it's in GURPS Powers somewhere). Speed/Range is usually added for shortcut types spells or when moving things over distance.
Thanks for clearing that up!

I looked up what you said about the radius, and it looks like I can find a source for that in Powers... but that only specifies the area for the Control advantage, and I can't seem to find anything about the generic uses of Area Effect in Basic Set or Powers.

I figure I'll just default to spherical area, though I suppose it is also important if the area was instead hemispherical or more of a cylinder with height equal to its width or something like that.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up!

I looked up what you said about the radius, and it looks like I can find a source for that in Powers... but that only specifies the area for the Control advantage, and I can't seem to find anything about the generic uses of Area Effect in Basic Set or Powers.

I figure I'll just default to spherical area, though I suppose it is also important if the area was instead hemispherical or more of a cylinder with height equal to its width or something like that.
GURPS Magic should match that as well where it talks about Area spells. I don't think it's anywhere else in GURPS. I'll look when I walk up later today.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm